Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I clicked before you added the subscription info. Got halfway through and then

View attachment 209059
šŸ˜…
One of the interesting things was 4 of them happened in the last 3 years. Robert Edwards was almost 20 years ago in a beach game at the pro bowl. So they had to fly a surgeon to Honolulu instead of being able to have immediate surgery to save the leg like the other 4. He also had the most ligaments torn of the 5. All of the ligaments, acl, mcl, lcl, and pcl. But so far he's the only one to actually play again. 1 year with the dolphins and 2 in the CFL. Milton only tore the mcl and lcl. And regained movement and feeling back much faster than the others so there is some optimism with him. But still at least another year away if it is possible. So he's basically an extra coach for them this year. Ruiz was a high school player who ended up having to amputate the leg. The article has a lot of other good stuff but that's some of the things I found interesting.

Reactions: chargervol
I was thinking about some of the freshmen coming in on defense and I was curious to see how much freshmen typically are able to contribute when they first arrive in the SEC. I just looked at tackling. Over the past decade weā€™ve had 3 guys make the list of top 50 SEC tacklers in their freshmen year.

ScreenHunter 175.png

Here are the top 50 sorted by position. The lone defensive lineman in the top 50 in 2009 was Dan Williams.

ScreenHunter 176.png

I was thinking about some of the freshmen coming in on defense and I was curious to see how much freshmen typically are able to contribute when they first arrive in the SEC. I just looked at tackling. Over the past decade weā€™ve had 3 guys make the list of top 50 SEC tacklers in their freshmen year.

View attachment 209061

Here are the top 50 sorted by position. The lone defensive lineman in the top 50 in 2009 was Dan Williams.

View attachment 209062
Wonder how we compare to the rest of the SEC?

I can definitely understand the need for versatility and flexibility because I've having a bit of a challenge trying to find enough initial counters for all the guys we're getting. I think I'm a half-dozen or more short for this class. I know, I know. It's only June.

View attachment 208989
sign me up!

Reactions: ChattaTNVol

View attachment 209061

View attachment 209062

Yeah, I got curious and looked into this last week. Over our decade of crap, we've had three true freshman LB's come in and score 50+ tackles.. Maggitt and AJ in the same year, and DKJr in his debut season. Fortunately I think LB depth is in better shape this go-round than it was in 2011 and 2014, so I think we'll be able to bring Crouch/Hank/Roman along at a comfortable pace, rather than baptism by fire.

Yeah, I got curious and looked into this last week. Over our decade of crap, we've had three true freshman LB's come in and score 50+ tackles.. Maggitt and AJ in the same year, and DKJr in his debut season. Fortunately I think LB depth is in better shape this go-round than it was in 2011 and 2014, so I think we'll be able to bring Crouch/Hank/Roman along at a comfortable pace, rather than baptism by fire.
Need some of the inherited players to step up so that is what happens.

You can make the same argument at ol as well.

Seems every year there's a key group of freshmen that HAVE to be counted on vs playing because they're the better player.

Just goes back to competition on the roster being better overall...

Seems every year there's a key group of freshmen that HAVE to be counted on vs playing because they're the better player.

1560610529168.png

Yeah, we'll definitely have freshmen in the 2-deep, because they are more talented.

I think Reid really made a move this spring, and Ignont was recruited by Pruitt-DC'd Bama until he was recruited over for being a smidge too slow (iirc). I think both of those players could turn into legit contributors/starters over the fall. I really like the churn at this position group.

I know we haven't seen anyone actually developed by coaching in years but I bet we have a bunch of guys stepping up after 2 offseasons with quality development coaches that maybe we aren't expecting. We always had to rely on freshmen because butch never developed them after their first year. There's a bunch of guys we signed last year, especially in the front 7, that spent last year developing behind veterans that will have a chance to step up this year. Just because they didn't play much as freshmen doesn't mean they never will. Especially if these coaches live up to their reputations as developers.

Wonder how we compare to the rest of the SEC?

Itā€™s not easy to figure out what this might tell you. For example, if you canā€™t get off the field on 3rd down, youā€™re probably going to have a lot more opportunities to pad your tackle numbers. On the other hand if a team has a lot of depth and uses a good number of guys in their rotation then the individual statistics will reflect less production per guy. Anyway, here are the top 50 SEC tacklers sorted by team going back to when A&M and Missouri joined the conference. The coolest thing about this table is that in 2013 South Carolina didn't have a single guy in the top 50.

Sorted in alphabetical order:

ScreenHunter 177.png

Reactions: jakez4ut
Sorry, off topic:
Just weighed at 142, that's now a 25lb increase from my lowest. I know that's thin but gotta tell ya'll, I'm feeling like

View attachment 209071
Looks like God is answering a lot of prayers on your behalf. Praises to Him and thankfulness for you, charger! Your story of perseverance with a great attitude in the face of severe tribulation and pain is awesome! So glad you have found a way to be able to get enough calories to gain some weight, and pray that your procedure next week is a huge success!

Looks like God is answering a lot of prayers on your behalf. Praises to Him and thankfulness for you, charger! Your story of perseverance with a great attitude in the face of severe tribulation and pain is awesome! So glad you have found a way to be able to get enough calories to gain some weight, and pray that your procedure next week is a huge success!
I could never thank you guys enough. Not just for the prayers and well wishes but people here have made it so much easier to laugh and stay positive.
No matter how much credit that's given, it's still undervalued.

Sorry, off topic:
Just weighed at 142, that's now a 25lb increase from my lowest. I know that's thin but gotta tell ya'll, I'm feeling like

View attachment 209071
Great now we'll never get back on topic. Thanks a lot charger. What were we discussing again? How to stop canadians from crossing our borders and stealing our titles? Dang it. I can't remember now. Be more considerate next time fatty.

Great now we'll never get back on topic. Thanks a lot charger. What were we discussing again? How to stop canadians from crossing our borders and stealing our titles? Dang it. I can't remember now. Be more considerate next time fatty.
The topic is how I'm only 20 lbs shy of being a Butch Jones take on OL šŸ˜

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back