2019 MLB Draft Thread

Your disregard for walk ons isn’t a good look. College baseball is full of them and many have great careers and play a long time in pro ball.

As for why they aren’t listed anymore. They were culled plain and simple
Exceptions don't make the rule. Yes there are some walk-ons who make it, but you don't get to Omaha, or anywhere near it, with walk-ons dotting your roster.

I hope Ammo and Charleston are mentally ready for their senior year.......cause looks like they are coming back.

They both need to get with an accomplished hitting coach, and change some things up this summer. Some serious swing flaws that need correction.
Charleston stole 41 bases for us while batting .215. If he could have hit 50 points better likely would have been close to stolen base record and really helped our anemic batting lineup.

Exceptions don't make the rule. Yes there are some walk-ons who make it, but you don't get to Omaha, or anywhere near it, with walk-ons dotting your roster.

Woa you clearly don’t understand this game.

Let’s assume next fall we have 50 players. That seems close to fair at this point.

You do realize that 23 of those 50 by ncaa Rule will be walk ons don’t you?

Reactions: Halph66
No, most people commenting on this have no clue about the rules and how college baseball has to function. Comical how football and basketball mentality flows over here occasionally.
Sat with coach mazy at wvu and he explained to me for about 2 hrs how it works or does not work. Baseball at college is tough sledding if you are going that way. I played at Colorado and it started out a club sport and may still be

Reactions: zachpack
Sat with coach mazy at wvu and he explained to me for about 2 hrs how it works or does not work. Baseball at college is tough sledding if you are going that way. I played at Colorado and it started out a club sport and may still be

Yea they don’t have a team now. Crazy a big school like that doesn’t

What a great area though

I can promise you I do not have a disregard for walk-ons. Sorry if you took it that way. I'm just saying that in today's baseball world, most in-state players are not on scholarship. Committing without a scholarship does not hold any commitment on the side of the college, not just UT but all colleges. It makes it easier for a college to tell a player there will not be a need for them that year. I have also had a son go through the walk-on process at another college and many times they are true walk-ons that the school did not recruit or recruit as hard. Most walk-ons know exactly what they are getting into when they say they are committing to Said School. They are going to have to tryout in the fall and hope they make it to have a chance to earn the next chance. A preferred walk-on has a little more commitment from the school but not much more other than you will normally have all fall to make the team.
My son is on scholarship but knows that it is up to him to come in and work hard to earn a spot. When you accept a scholarship from a P5, SEC school, you know the competition against the rest of the SEC comes after the competition to earn a spot and a jersey. I don't think there is very little false advertising when it comes to knowing what you have to do to earn a spot on a SEC team. You chose to accept the challenge of playing in the best league in the country and with that you will have to work your butt off to earn a spot. But when you do, you will be among the best. When Coach V recruited my son, there was very little left to the imagination as to what my son would have to do to earn a jersey next spring. But to fulfill his dream of playing in the best conference against the best competition on the other team and his team, he took the offer. He could have accepted another offer and been guaranteed a jersey and starting role next spring but it was not his dream. Playing in the SEC has always been his dream. There are also guys who are walking on at UT who turned down scholarships at other schools to have a chance to play in the SEC. They know the chance they are taking to fulfill their dream. I do not believe that very few, and those are the ones who don't understand the recruiting process, don't know the numbers that are coming in and the numbers that are there and the fact that next year there will be more freshmen and juco transfers. That is what these guys are willing to risk to fulfill the dream. But when they put the jersey on next fall to make a run at Omaha, nobody cares who is on scholarship, who was a preferred walk-on, and who was a walk-on. They are brothers who are ready for battle with the other guys in the Orange. That is why my son has watched almost every UT game this year and learned the players because these guys are the ones he will die with next year.

I can promise you I do not have a disregard for walk-ons. Sorry if you took it that way. I'm just saying that in today's baseball world, most in-state players are not on scholarship. Committing without a scholarship does not hold any commitment on the side of the college, not just UT but all colleges. It makes it easier for a college to tell a player there will not be a need for them that year. I have also had a son go through the walk-on process at another college and many times they are true walk-ons that the school did not recruit or recruit as hard. Most walk-ons know exactly what they are getting into when they say they are committing to Said School. They are going to have to tryout in the fall and hope they make it to have a chance to earn the next chance. A preferred walk-on has a little more commitment from the school but not much more other than you will normally have all fall to make the team.
My son is on scholarship but knows that it is up to him to come in and work hard to earn a spot. When you accept a scholarship from a P5, SEC school, you know the competition against the rest of the SEC comes after the competition to earn a spot and a jersey. I don't think there is very little false advertising when it comes to knowing what you have to do to earn a spot on a SEC team. You chose to accept the challenge of playing in the best league in the country and with that you will have to work your butt off to earn a spot. But when you do, you will be among the best. When Coach V recruited my son, there was very little left to the imagination as to what my son would have to do to earn a jersey next spring. But to fulfill his dream of playing in the best conference against the best competition on the other team and his team, he took the offer. He could have accepted another offer and been guaranteed a jersey and starting role next spring but it was not his dream. Playing in the SEC has always been his dream. There are also guys who are walking on at UT who turned down scholarships at other schools to have a chance to play in the SEC. They know the chance they are taking to fulfill their dream. I do not believe that very few, and those are the ones who don't understand the recruiting process, don't know the numbers that are coming in and the numbers that are there and the fact that next year there will be more freshmen and juco transfers. That is what these guys are willing to risk to fulfill the dream.

Good post.

Reactions: sccshortstop
My son is on scholarship but knows that it is up to him to come in and work hard to earn a spot. When you accept a scholarship from a P5, SEC school, you know the competition against the rest of the SEC comes after the competition to earn a spot and a jersey. I don't think there is very little false advertising when it comes to knowing what you have to do to earn a spot on a SEC team. You chose to accept the challenge of playing in the best league in the country and with that you will have to work your butt off to earn a spot. But when you do, you will be among the best. When Coach V recruited my son, there was very little left to the imagination as to what my son would have to do to earn a jersey next spring. But to fulfill his dream of playing in the best conference against the best competition on the other team and his team, he took the offer. He could have accepted another offer and been guaranteed a jersey and starting role next spring but it was not his dream. Playing in the SEC has always been his dream. There are also guys who are walking on at UT who turned down scholarships at other schools to have a chance to play in the SEC. They know the chance they are taking to fulfill their dream. I do not believe that very few, and those are the ones who don't understand the recruiting process, don't know the numbers that are coming in and the numbers that are there and the fact that next year there will be more freshmen and juco transfers. That is what these guys are willing to risk to fulfill the dream. But when they put the jersey on next fall to make a run at Omaha, nobody cares who is on scholarship, who was a preferred walk-on, and who was a walk-on. They are brothers who are ready for battle with the other guys in the Orange. That is why my son has watched almost every UT game this year and learned the players because these guys are the ones he will die with next year.

You are exactly right. I don’t think anyone was responding to you but to the person that said you “don’t get to Omaha with walk ons”.

Draft Analysis, D1 Baseball

• During the 40 rounds, 1,217 total prospects were selected. Pitchers accounted for 54% of the picks. Of the 653 arms taken, 493 were right-handers and 160 lefties.
  • College seniors represented 55% of all picks taken in the 9th and 10th rounds (33 of 60 ). Slightly down from 2018 when they represented 60% of the picks (33 of 60) from these rounds.
  • Vanderbilt led the way with 13 players selected from its roster. UCLA added 12, while Mississippi State totaled 11. UC Santa Barbara and Indiana both had 10, while North Carolina, Stanford and TCU all had nine.
  • As usual, the SEC led all conferences with 88 selections, yet down from 99 total picks last season.
  • The Pac-12 was second with 70 picks.
  • The ACC was third with 69 picks, down from 75 picks in 2018.
  • Finishing out the Top 5 were the Big 12 (48) and the Big Ten (46).
  • In total, 317 of the 1217 (26%) total picks were from Power 5 Conference schools.

With approximately 370 days to go we are already preparing for the 2020 Draft. This coming September we will update our Top 2020 Prospect rankings that was released in February. At this point it looks like a strong draft for college starting pitching with some athletic, up-the-middle hitters also leading the way. Our current Top 10:
  1. Emerson Hancock, RHP, Georgia
  2. Austin Martin, 3B/SS, Vanderbilt
  3. Casey Martin, SS, Arkansas
  4. Garrett Mitchell, OF, UCLA
  5. Spencer Torkelson, 1B, Arizona State
  6. Asa Lacy, LHP, Texas A&M
  7. Patrick Bailey, C, North Carolina State
  8. Garrett Crochet, LHP, Tennessee
  9. Tanner Burns, RHP, Auburn
  10. Cade Cavalli, RHP, Oklahoma

Thank you so much for the insight. Great post! Lots of talent coming in next year to go along with a great nucleus back. Very nice to see Tennessee back on the Baseball map where they should be!

Reactions: sccshortstop
Thank you so much for the insight. Great post! Lots of talent coming in next year to go along with a great nucleus back. Very nice to see Tennessee back on the Baseball map where they should be!

VBF1, can you update us on how the staff feels about the class? Think anyone doesnt make it from JUCO class?

Reactions: Bigun
VBF1, can you update us on how the staff feels about the class? Think anyone doesnt make it from JUCO class?
Feel good for now. It’s always fluid. I was also informed they had a very good in home last night with a top 2020 prospect and will have 2 top 10 overall players on campus Sunday. Have seen a big recruiting bump after the 40 win season. It’s about to get really fun!

Feel good for now. It’s always fluid. I was also informed they had a very good in home last night with a top 2020 prospect and will have 2 top 10 overall players on campus Sunday. Have seen a big recruiting bump after the 40 win season. It’s about to get really fun!

Thats awesome! Love getting any nuggets with recruiting. Really hoping to get most of this class to campus. Especially Rackers, Dallas, and some skill guys. Next step is critial for next season.

Didn't see him listed. Vandy commit Tyler McKenzie was selected by St. Louis is the 39th round, 1175 overall.

VN Store

Back