Dobbs is throwing a major wrench in Pittsburgh Steelers’ plans

Gandalf

The Orange/White Wizard
From Former Vols QB Josh Dobbs is throwing a major wrench in Steelers' plans

What does the longterm future hold for Dobbs in Pittsburgh?
The former Vol received a big compliment from an important figure in Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert, who recently said “He (Dobbs) forced his way on the roster and the No. 2 spot by hard work and big plays when we needed him”.

Dobbs played in five games for the Steelers last season (mostly in brief relief of Roethlisberger). One of his key moments in 2018 came against the Baltimore Ravens, when Dobbs completed a 22 yard pass to JuJu Smith-Schuster that kept the drive alive for the Steelers.

Moving forward, I think it’s clear that Rudolph is no longer the unquestioned heir to Roethlisberger (as evidenced by the recent extension signed by Big Ben that keeps him in Pittsburgh through 2021).

It feels like the Steelers took Dobbs in 2017 because of his upside. But they took Rudolph, specifically, to eventually replace Roethlisberger.

However, Dobbs is showing he was worth the investment in 2017. And with the way the NFL game (and quarterback position) is changing, it’s possible that Pittsburgh wants to give Dobbs a legitimate chance to eventually win the starting job.

While no one is going to confuse Dobbs for Patrick Mahomes anytime soon, Dobbs would at least give the Steelers an athletic option that could open up their playbook a bit.

Its good to see Dobbs keep getting recognition. Criminal what could have been while he was here. Que for D4H to come running to post in this thread, 3....2....1.... :D

So a Nashville expert weighs in on the Pittsburgh QB situation?

A bit early for these sort of comments, you can't say much about the backup QB situation in Pittsburgh until the preseason ends. Seeing who gets the snaps in exhibition games and what they do with them will be the best indicator.

And assuming a 3rd pick who wasn't active for a single game is the guaranteed replacement for Roethlisberger is a stretch also

I like Josh Dobbs too, hope he gets chance to play I never thought the Steelers gave Tee Martin a decent chance to stay on team and play in NFL I know he could have beaten Donovan McNabb for a spot................GO VOLS

That article pretty much said a whole lot of nothing. Dobbs obviously isn't their their long term replacement either based on the same logic about BR's extension. Rudoldph was a 3rd round choice and I don't recall anyone saying the Steelers ever thought he was definitely the heir. If he doesn't pan out, no big loss. And the title....lol...a "major wrench"....talk about click bait.

D4H would be proud.

The former Vol received a big compliment from an important figure in Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert, who recently said “He (Dobbs) forced his way on the roster and the No. 2 spot by hard work and big plays when we needed him”.

Dobbs played in five games for the Steelers last season (mostly in brief relief of Roethlisberger). One of his key moments in 2018 came against the Baltimore Ravens, when Dobbs completed a 22 yard pass to JuJu Smith-Schuster that kept the drive alive for the Steelers.

Moving forward, I think it’s clear that Rudolph is no longer the unquestioned heir to Roethlisberger (as evidenced by the recent extension signed by Big Ben that keeps him in Pittsburgh through 2021).

It feels like the Steelers took Dobbs in 2017 because of his upside. But they took Rudolph, specifically, to eventually replace Roethlisberger.

However, Dobbs is showing he was worth the investment in 2017. And with the way the NFL game (and quarterback position) is changing, it’s possible that Pittsburgh wants to give Dobbs a legitimate chance to eventually win the starting job.

While no one is going to confuse Dobbs for Patrick Mahomes anytime soon, Dobbs would at least give the Steelers an athletic option that could open up their playbook a bit.

Its good to see Dobbs keep getting recognition. Criminal what could have been while he was here. Que for D4H to come running to post in this thread, 3....2....1.... :D

Butch Jones wasted enough talent in his time at Tenn its is sad for players that were on team and fans that supported them, Dave Hart and Mike Hamilton together
destroyed a tradition rich great and proud football program and leave it with their GOLDEN PARACHUTES........................GO VOLS

Butch Jones wasted enough talent in his time at Tenn its is sad for players that were on team and fans that supported them, Dave Hart and Mike Hamilton together
destroyed a tradition rich great and proud football program........................GO VOLS

Thats the thing that stands out to me. Dobbs got on the roster in 2017 almost as the tackling dummy. Now with some decent coaching and Oline protection, he beat out the one deemed heir apparent. Who knows that with another year or two, Dobbs could end up being a starting QB somewhere in the NFL. Crazy the talent we had and hardly knew it because it covered incompetence elswhere.

Thats the thing that stands out to me. Dobbs got on the roster in 2017 almost as the tackling dummy. Now with some decent coaching and Oline protection, he beat out the one deemed heir apparent. Who knows that with another year or two, Dobbs could end up being a starting QB somewhere in the NFL. Crazy the talent we had and hardly knew it because it covered incompetence elswhere.

He wasn’t the heir apparent. He was just a guy.

Reactions: jarnol32
That article pretty much said a whole lot of nothing. Dobbs obviously isn't their their long term replacement either based on the same logic about BR's extension. Rudoldph was a 3rd round choice and I don't recall anyone saying the Steelers ever thought he was definitely the heir. If he doesn't pan out, no big loss. And the title....lol...a "major wrench"....talk about click bait.

D4H would be proud.
The long term solution at QB for the Steelers isn't on the roster yet

You didn’t know Donovan McNabb started for the Steelers....? 😂

I assume he is talking about Tee Martin’s 2002 season with the Eagles though. (Dunno if Tee even actually “played” for the Eagles though, think he was released)

God loves people who throw major wrenches into systems. Being old school, and at the risk of being accused of the "r-word" I would say that throwing a monkey wrench into the gears might be have been o.k..

Last edited:

You keep saying this like that was some huge achievement; Rudolph was a 3rd round pick.

You didn’t know Donovan McNabb started for the Steelers....? 😂

I assume he is talking about Tee Martin’s 2002 season with the Eagles though. (Dunno if Tee even actually “played” for the Eagles though, think he was released)
Yeah Tee was on the off-season/practice squad roster in 2002 or 2001. I was assuming he was confusing Kordell Stewart with Donovan McNabb as that would have been more understandable than suggesting Tee Martin should have started over one of the greatest QBs in the history of the franchise.

destroyed a tradition rich great and proud football program and leave it with their GOLDEN PARACHUTES........................GO VOLS

Butch wasted talent and our team. But, I have a hard time seeing Josh as a "what could have been" situation. Dobbs had the green light especially later in games to make whatever creative play necessary. In fact it was his mobility, playmaking, and moxy that allowed to have any real offense at all. There was nothing else much without his threat and improvisions.
So, in his scenario, I believe Josh probably benefitted in some ways from the chaos and incompetence. At least as a draft prospect.

Butch wasted talent and our team. But, I have a hard time seeing Josh as a "what could have been" situation. Dobbs had the green light especially later in games to make whatever creative play necessary. In fact it was his mobility, playmaking, and moxy that allowed to have any real offense at all. There was nothing else much without his threat and improvisions.
So, in his scenario, I believe Josh probably benefitted in some ways from the chaos and incompetence. At least as a draft prospect.
Chaos is a ladder to Josh Dobbs in other words.

This is wut….didn't say McNabb played for Steelers he played for EAGLES for way too long, Tee was drafted by Steelers I DID NOT THINK HE WAS GIVEN CHANCE IN NFL............
GO VOLS
He was given a chance and people far better at evaluating talent, then you or I, didn’t want him.

This is wut….didn't say McNabb played for Steelers he played for EAGLES for way too long, Tee was drafted by Steelers I DID NOT THINK HE WAS GIVEN CHANCE IN NFL............
GO VOLS
My bad, your post is worded completely different

VN Store

Back