Coach Kellie responds to Geno's comment.

It’s a little early to speculate FF talks but I think it will come down to certain matchups this year. Other than Oregon, most teams lost very good pieces for their teams and voids are left that will need to be filled. I think Oregon and Baylor will be in Portland and Dallas respectively. The other two Regionals in Fort Wayne and Greenville are up for grabs. SC has the perfect opportunity to play less than 200 miles to reach a FF this year, same with ND if they can glue the pieces together. I suspect UCONN will be in Indiana since it’s the closest and they’re likely to be a #1 seed. Matchups certainly matter but I just hope SC can play in Greenville in front of fans rather than travel far away. The speculation on next season is at a all time high as it should be considering there is no clear favorite IMO.

I think Oregon and Baylor will be in the final four. UCONN probably too since they have so many top 5 ranked players. Megan #1; Chrystin #1; Evina #2; Olivia #5 (after being hurt); and I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. A & M might be strong and so might MS State and Louisville. Muffet and Tara are great coaches, and so is Dawn. Might take Dawn a year to get her great freshman class going.

Most of all, I hope TN can get back to being a perennial final four contender.

And one thing is for sure, we shall see.

Never understood using HS ranking to compare teams after the players have played a season. Megan and Christyn we're ranked #1 in their HS classes, but neither was NFOY. Megan wasn't even 6POY. I think HS rankings sort of become meaningless after the players have a season under their belt...unless to say a player was over/underranked once they finish college (or in Tennessee's case, to mourn how talent was wasted and never properly developed under Holly).

Reactions: SCspur and mcannon1
Never understood using HS ranking to compare teams after the players have played a season. Megan and Christyn we're ranked #1 in their HS classes, but neither was NFOY. Megan wasn't even 6POY. I think HS rankings sort of become meaningless after the players have a season under their belt...unless to say a player was over/underranked once they finish college (or in Tennessee's case, to mourn how talent was wasted and never properly developed under Holly).
oh good. Another chance for you to trash Walker and Williams.

Freshmen are only impactful if they were freshman of the year?

Walker had a tough freshman year but was solid in her sophomore season averaging 12 points and 7 rebounds. She shot close to 40% on threes.

Williams was terrific her freshman season averaging 11.7 points on 49% shooting and 37% on threes with 82 assists and 52 turnovers.

No, not national award winning stats, but UConn didn't need them to be with Samuelson and Collier carrying the load.

HS rankings for top 5 players are usually an indicator of great college performers by the time they graduate. And with great coaching, it's even more certain.

oh good. Another chance for you to trash Walker and Williams.

Freshmen are only impactful if they were freshman of the year?

Walker had a tough freshman year but was solid in her sophomore season averaging 12 points and 7 rebounds. She shot close to 40% on threes.

Williams was terrific her freshman season averaging 11.7 points on 49% shooting and 37% on threes with 82 assists and 52 turnovers.

No, not national award winning stats, but UConn didn't need them to be with Samuelson and Collier carrying the load.

HS rankings for top 5 players are usually an indicator of great college performers by the time they graduate. And with great coaching, it's even more certain.
You're a (mostly unwanted) UConn fan posting on a Tennessee board, and gets defensive when we don't bow to the greatness of UConn. GTFOH with that sh!t 😂. I hope your situational awareness is better IRL.

Way back in the day when Connecticut was early in their success, on up to when Taurasi was still playing, I remember reading comments from Huskies in which they shared the level to which Tennessee was the team they most wanted to beat. A couple of times players let it slip that Auriemma obsessed over Tennessee in their practices, regularly saying stuff like “you won’t beat Tennessee if...” or “when we play Tennessee we’ll need to...”. It seemed to me like they regularly practiced to beat Tennessee, no matter what time of year it was.

Anyway, my point is, someone doesn’t spend years running his team with one particular nemesis seemingly always in his head and not still, years and chasms between them since, not still sometimes think about them like one smiles and thinks about that first girlfriend or boyfriend.

And while it’s obvious that Auriemma has not had to run his practices “to beat Tennessee” in many years, it would be interesting to know what really goes through his mind and his heart in the days leading up to the game they do play in January. I would imagine it’ll spark quite a trip down memory lane. Of course, none of it coukd ever be the same without his rival Pat at the helm, but still...

One does wonder.

Reactions: sisaq
Way back in the day when Connecticut was early in their success, on up to when Taurasi was still playing, I remember reading comments from Huskies in which they shared the level to which Tennessee was the team they most wanted to beat. A couple of times players let it slip that Auriemma obsessed over Tennessee in their practices, regularly saying stuff like “you won’t beat Tennessee if...” or “when we play Tennessee we’ll need to...”. It seemed to me like they regularly practiced to beat Tennessee, no matter what time of year it was.

Anyway, my point is, someone doesn’t spend years running his team with one particular nemesis seemingly always in his head and not still, years and chasms between them since, not still sometimes think about them like one smiles and thinks about that first girlfriend or boyfriend.

And while it’s obvious that Auriemma has not had to run his practices “to beat Tennessee” in many years, it would be interesting to know what really goes through his mind and his heart in the days leading up to the game they do play in January. I would imagine it’ll spark quite a trip down memory lane. Of course, none of it coukd ever be the same without his rival Pat at the helm, but still...

One does wonder.

Very well said!

One does wonder.

He won't gear practices towards TN until that game if he is smart
right now there are other teams that ARE above him in the ranks
Those are the teams he will prepare for
giving UT an unfocused slating

Reactions: MAD

No, I don’t think he’ll be too worried about being able to beat Tennessee this time. Of course, him knowing full well that his team will be expected to very easily crush the Lady Vols playing at Connecticut under a new coach who is starting at square one of a rebuilding process, very well could make him feel a bit more cagey than necessary. His team will feel the pressure to win by 40-plus, and a few Connecticut fans will consider it a near-loss if they don’t. lol

You're a (mostly unwanted) UConn fan posting on a Tennessee board, and gets defensive when we don't bow to the greatness of UConn. GTFOH with that sh!t 😂. I hope your situational awareness is better IRL.
I suppose that defending UConn could be called getting defensive, but "getting defensive" to me means with an attitude. I don't think that Is what I'm doing. I'm just presenting information and an opposing viewpoint. I'm not sure why that bothers you so much.

When you made a good case about Nelson-Ododa, I changed my view a little and agreed with you. When I disagreed about Walker and Williams, I tried to make my case with some stats. What is wrong with that?

I haven't said ONE bad thing about Tennessee totally respecting that this is a Tennessee board.

I hope that IRL you are open to honest discourse and disagreements without asking people TGTHO.

As a coach would you give any team an unfocused slating?

I suppose that defending UConn could be called getting defensive, but "getting defensive" to me means with an attitude. I don't think that Is what I'm doing. I'm just presenting information and an opposing viewpoint. I'm not sure why that bothers you so much.

When you made a good case about Nelson-Ododa, I changed my view a little and agreed with you. When I disagreed about Walker and Williams, I tried to make my case with some stats. What is wrong with that?

I haven't said ONE bad thing about Tennessee totally respecting that this is a Tennessee board.

I hope that IRL you are open to honest discourse and disagreements without asking people TGTHO.

Yeah, because you're first 2 sentences in your first post to me weren't defensive by any objective observation 🙄

I've said positive things about Walker and Williams already. I just don't think they've proven to be anything special yet, despite being #1 in their class. Kind of like how you dismiss Chennedy Carter despite her having superior COLLEGE accolades to your UConn darlings. There have been other players in their classes that have had better individual performances thus far. In Megan's case, there have been quite a few...including 2 that were on Tennessee this year.

That's not trashing, that's stating a fact. Maybe they'll get better, maybe not. If they do, good for you. Until then, sit down.

That's all

Reactions: Smallvol#1

No, but this is not a board intended for extended discussions of UConn and its players (and the same holds for Baylor, Notre Dame, etc.) and to keep going down that irrelevant path is disrespectful.

But, I get it. Uconn fans are insufferable, unattractive, boorish bores and you want to hang out with a more engaging, better mannered, and far more attractive class of fans.

It is understandable that you aspire upward fan board mobility. I support you in your version of the American Dream.

So, just start taking about LV basketball or other LV sports and you can perhaps find a place here.

Exactly what I said in my post. To see how the players respond to good coaching.

But that’s not exactly true because you don’t want them to respond positively. You don’t want them to succeed. You’re watching in hopes they fail.

But that’s not exactly true because you don’t want them to respond positively. You don’t want them to succeed. You’re watching in hopes they fail.
A mind reader, eh?

I don't want them to succeed on January 23rd but other than that you are wrong.

Reactions: mcannon1
Yeah, because you're first 2 sentences in your first post to me weren't defensive by any objective observation 🙄

I've said positive things about Walker and Williams already. I just don't think they've proven to be anything special yet, despite being #1 in their class. Kind of like how you dismiss Chennedy Carter despite her having superior COLLEGE accolades to your UConn darlings. There have been other players in their classes that have had better individual performances thus far. In Megan's case, there have been quite a few...including 2 that were on Tennessee this year.

That's not trashing, that's stating a fact. Maybe they'll get better, maybe not. If they do, good for you. Until then, sit down.

That's all
I'm not a fan of low percentage volume shooters, thus my criticism of Carter. A great talent for sure and when she figures out that not all shots are good shots, she will be a great player.

Can I lie down? I'm tired.

Reactions: BUBear and mcannon1
No, but this is not a board intended for extended discussions of UConn and its players (and the same holds for Baylor, Notre Dame, etc.) and to keep going down that irrelevant path is disrespectful.

But, I get it. Uconn fans are insufferable, unattractive, boorish bores and you want to hang out with a more engaging, better mannered, and far more attractive class of fans.

It is understandable that you aspire upward fan board mobility. I support you in your version of the American Dream.

So, just start taking about LV basketball or other LV sports and you can perhaps find a place here.
Well, I didn't start any discussions about UConn, I just joined in to an existing thread about it. You can blame Geno for that since he was the one that was quoted here.

If it's irrelevant , why have so many Vol fans added to the thread?

I don't post on the Boneyard, although a few here have told me to go back there. I agree with you on some of the UConn fans. Insufferable and Boorish? You bet. There are fans like that in every fan base.

So, you are telling me if I posted about LV basketball you would be ok with it? Even if I (heaven forbid) was critical about the team? Somehow I think not.

But thanks for your warm welcome and southern hospitality.

Reactions: mcannon1
But thanks for your warm welcome and southern hospitality.

Please don't blame all TN fans for the words of a few. Nor should all UCONN fans be blamed for the words of a few.

People with tolerant views don't seem to be as active on message boards as those with intolerant views.

People on this very board have called me stupid, and, a troll. I am neither. How I long for the Lady Vols to return to prominence. And, I still often fight back tears when I think of Pat Summitt and her illness. But, I'm a troll according to a few unkind and intolerant posters on not only this board but others. However, I often still post my opinion and hope you remain as a participant on this board.

Please don't blame all TN fans for the words of a few. Nor should all UCONN fans be blamed for the words of a few.

People with tolerant views don't seem to be as active on message boards as those with intolerant views.

People on this very board have called me stupid, and, a troll. I am neither. How I long for the Lady Vols to return to prominence. And, I still often fight back tears when I think of Pat Summitt and her illness. But, I'm a troll according to a few unkind and intolerant posters on not only this board but others. However, I often still post my opinion and hope you remain as a participant on this board.

The Holly stans that were browbeating anyone (Tennessee fans included) that criticized her have largely admitted their erroneous ways, ghosted us, or loudly took their ball and ran home crying. For the most part, posters are cordial to fans from other schools as long as they don't overstay their welcome. Newdog is wearing out their welcome because they take criticism or indifference to the UConn program personally, whether it's hostile or not.

VN Store

Back