Tennessee Home of the Bed wetting Vols!

The Vols didn't screw it up when they took the last two series of the year against Florida and Ole Miss in order to get to 14 conference wins and punch their ticket to the NCAA for the first time since 2005.

Winning yesterday would have been nice, but the progression of this team so far under Vitello has been monumental. He's being mentioned as a coach of the year candidate for what he's accomplished with this team in two short years.

In summary, it's hard for me to look at a Tennessee baseball team that won 38 games and describe them as always screwing up, even though I was admittedly disappointed by yesterday's result.
tenor.gif

Reactions: CAVPUT
The Vols didn't screw it up when they took the last two series of the year against Florida and Ole Miss in order to get to 14 conference wins and punch their ticket to the NCAA for the first time since 2005.

Winning yesterday would have been nice, but the progression of this team so far under Vitello has been monumental. He's being mentioned as a coach of the year candidate for what he's accomplished with this team in two short years.

In summary, it's hard for me to look at a Tennessee baseball team that won 38 games and describe them as always screwing up, even though I was admittedly disappointed by yesterday's result.
That’s what I was gonna say. Just sayin

Reactions: feathersax
15 years? Has any other SEC team been in a drought that long during this period? Missouri maybe? If not, by one important metric, UT has been the worst program in the conference for that period. Breaking the streak is a big deal.
Missouri won it’s last Big 12 tournament in 2012 and had a streak of 7 straight NCAA regionals before that (03-09). They have not made the NCAA tournament as a member of the SEC.
The next longest SEC drought after TN is Alabama (2014).

Evidently You haven't been around as long as some of us VFL.
I’m 38. Been around Long enough to see plenty of highs and lows, but OPs statement just reeks of ignorance and emotional reaction, with no basis for his comments. Freak said it absolutely perfectly in his post about how well this season has gone. So, based on your reply to me, I’m gonna dump you in the bin of chronically depressed VFLs that cant see the forest for the trees with the progress this team and Vitello has made. Seems fair to me since you wanna question my fandom and age and what I do or don’t know.

Last edited:
Evidently You haven't been around as long as some of us VFL.
Attended my first Vol game in 1964 in Neyland Stadium. Several basketball & baseball games ( Delmonico through Serrano, now CTV). Vitello getting it done & if you can't see that, then fine. Kick & scream. BVS is real.

Get a grip dude, we're going to the NCAAT for the first time in almost 15 years.

Yep. Real progress this season. First time I've felt optimistic about baseball in a long, long time. Just need to keep pushing forward and hope it inspires some real financial commitment to facilities upgrades from the admin.

I watched that game yesterday,at least the innings where AU scored most of their runs.The UT defense is what cost them the game.Bloop fly into short center which the centerfielder started back before going forward to try to catch it.Should have been an easy out.The other flop was the inability to handle a bunt.If you saw it,total screw up.

Attended my first Vol game in 1964 in Neyland Stadium. Several basketball & baseball games ( Delmonico through Serrano, now CTV). Vitello getting it done & if you can't see that, then fine. Kick & scream. BVS is real.

Wasn't disparaging any coach. Just all too familiar with the Vols (FB, BB, Bsbl) finding a way to lose one. I thought everyone with the BO knew that. Ain't nobody screaming; It's become old hat.

I’m 38. Been around Long enough to see plenty of highs and lows, but OPs statement just reeks of ignorance and emotional reaction, with no basis for his comments. Freak said it absolutely perfectly in his post about how well this season has gone. So, based on your reply to me, I’m gonna dump you in the bin of chronically depressed VFLs that cant see the forest for the trees with the progress this team and Vitello has made. Seems fair to me since you wanna question my fandom and age and what I do or don’t know.

I refer you to my comment above. Geeze People. My comment wasn't even about baseball; really. Just read the above post. They always find a way.

The post is indicative of the attitude of some fans, they see the glass as half empty, 38 wins!, the expectation of championships every year is not a healthy attitude or realistic. This team should be applauded, not criticized. I can't put my finger on it, but some of the fans have some very distorted views of college sports and a unhealthy entitlement issue..........fans that play the victim.......scare me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vol Fan 5
Meaningless game today and a meaningless tourney for the position we are in

Dang! The SEC really has made the Conference Tourney meaningless. You either have to sit your top 3 starters out for the last regular season series or they are pitching on 2-4 days notice. And winning the last regular season series apparently means more to the NCAA Committee than how you do in the Conference tournament.

So, you are basically left with teams starting talented freshmen who are the weekend starters of the future or Srs who are getting a career achievement award for staying with the program for 4 years. The top starters that do pitch are on a low pitch count so they will be ready for the NCAAs that start 4 or 5 days after the tournament championship game.

Other than the money it brings in (mostly TV) why even have a conference tournament?

Dang! The SEC really has made the Conference Tourney meaningless. You either have to sit your top 3 starters out for the last regular season series or they are pitching on 2-4 days notice. And winning the last regular season series apparently means more to the NCAA Committee than how you do in the Conference tournament.

So, you are basically left with teams starting talented freshmen who are the weekend starters of the future or Srs who are getting a career achievement award for staying with the program for 4 years. The top starters that do pitch are on a low pitch count so they will be ready for the NCAAs that start 4 or 5 days after the tournament championship game.

Other than the money it brings in (mostly TV) why even have a conference tournament?
It gives bubble teams a big chance to improve their resume to help an extra team or two sneak in the ncaa tourney. Also if every other conference has a tournament and you don’t its held against the teams in that conference just look at the big 12 and football.

15 years? Has any other SEC team been in a drought that long during this period? Missouri maybe? If not, by one important metric, UT has been the worst program in the conference for that period. Breaking the streak is a big deal.

Oh, UT's drought is absolutely the longest in the conference by a country mile. I believe that the only major conference schools with worse droughts are Penn State and Pitt.

Accordingly, this has been an absolutely wonderful second season for Vitello and Iook forward to watching the Vols against whomever next week for the first time in eons.

VN Store

Back