The Runner's thread

After about 100 miles, my Sofsole inserts are starting to lose a little bit of bounce. I'm about to look at some orange Superfeet inserts this weekend.

Ended up going with the blue Superfeet inserts, since my arches are low. Total game changer, and the pain from striking the pavement hard is basically gone at this point. The only other item I'll need to pick up some heel cushions, but these inserts are great. Running at an easy pace, I noticed a drop of about 30 seconds off my 1 mile splits.

Ended up going with the blue Superfeet inserts, since my arches are low. Total game changer, and the pain from striking the pavement hard is basically gone at this point. The only other item I'll need to pick up some heel cushions, but these inserts are great. Running at an easy pace, I noticed a drop of about 30 seconds off my 1 mile splits.
The Blue Running ones or the regular Superfeet blue ones?

Also, this ankle injury S.U.C.K.S. I don't know how you can go through what you are Yank. I feel like I'm not going to be running again til August at this rate!

The Blue Running ones or the regular Superfeet blue ones?

Also, this ankle injury S.U.C.K.S. I don't know how you can go through what you are Yank. I feel like I'm not going to be running again til August at this rate!

I think that they're just the regular blue inserts. The packaging didn't reference anything about the inserts being running specific. They're exactly what I needed though.

Reactions: volfanbill
I think that they're just the regular blue inserts. The packaging didn't reference anything about the inserts being running specific. They're exactly what I needed though.
Glad they work for you. I’m still shelved. They did dry needling to relax the muscles today. Owie wowie

Congrats

I’m one week from the start of MCM training. And I just came off crutches about a week and a half ago. I don’t realistically see myself being able to start next week.

Do you have wide feet? Buy Altras.

Altra Torins and Orange Superfeet are my comfort zone. I've done a couple of 10ks, but I'm thinking about doing a half or full in January. Giving myself plenty of time to prep. Currently I run 2 or 3 days a week averaging 8-10 miles. Any thoughts on the best plans to prep.

Altra Torins and Orange Superfeet are my comfort zone. I've done a couple of 10ks, but I'm thinking about doing a half or full in January. Giving myself plenty of time to prep. Currently I run 2 or 3 days a week averaging 8-10 miles. Any thoughts on the best plans to prep.
There’s a couple different free plans out there for training. Most are around 16-20 weeks. Are you averaging 8-10 per run or per week?

76D2D407-15EE-4F2F-8EFB-D8ECF0D81A5D.jpeg
Got this update from my physical therapist. Last week she had told me I had to walk 20 minutes pain free and be able to do calf raises. I low key freaked out because I almost immediately walked thirty minutes pain free, but felt pain on dual leg calf raise #2 (yes, the second one, yes, I couldn’t do two pain free dual leg calf raises). I’m now able to do at least 30 (I stopped there) dual leg calf raises, but only a handful of single leg calf raises. The goal is to be jogging by the 4th of July. With that kind of timeframe, I’ll get enough training to still do the Marine Corps Marathon, even if I don’t have a time I’m happy with. Slow progress is progress

Reactions: volfannbama
I’m interested in running again. I ran in middle school and high school, but it’s been a few years for me with college and work. I’m hoping to get some tips while starting again. What should my schedule be and how long I run?

I’m interested in running again. I ran in middle school and high school, but it’s been a few years for me with college and work. I’m hoping to get some tips while starting again. What should my schedule be and how long I run?

Glad to hear you're interested in getting back into running. If you ran in middle school and high school, you're actually ahead of the game compared to the rest of the general population, since you'll have neuromuscular faciliation that will help you get back to running regularly quicker than someone who is truly untrained and has been sedentary their whole life.

There are lots of good beginner running templates available on the web for free. Couch to 5k is a well known template, but it's not the only one. Runners World actually has a pretty good article at the following link: How to start running today: a guide to running for beginners

Marathon Rookie is another good resource that helped me develop some of my long distance programming. You can check their program for the 5k at the following link: 5k training

Reactions: headhunter15
Marathon rookie has an excellent plan.

After months of procrastination, I was finally ready to go on a run this morning, but it started storming as I was stretching. Still a long way out, but I'm going to run the CHKM half again in March. Lots of fun, and my company pays for everything.

Btw, I got a killer deal on some Ultraboost 19s this weekend off of StockX. Someone accepted an $80 bid I submitted weeks ago. Came out to $93 after shipping, and they retail for $180. This is the 2nd pair I've bought through StockX, and I really like it. The site is really for collectable sneakers, but if they have a pair you're looking for, you usually get a really good price. No returns though, so make sure you know what size to get.

So I’m still trying to recover from that nasty ankle injury back in April. I’m literally having to learn technique again, and it’s as if I haven’t been strengthening my ankle at all the past few months. My strike is still somewhat painful and I’m re-learning to strike with the forefoot again.

What I discovered is that despite my disdain for their feel, the Hoka Clifton is so cushioned, it takes away the pain. My plan is to mix the Hokas into runs so I can build endurance, while using my Ons and Newtons to improve form.

VN Store

Back