Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This place isn't too far from where I live, and I don't know much about it, but I see one of their buses from time to time.

I should probably go talk to him about going to UT. That's a good idea, right?
No that isn’t a good idea. He has visited UT multiple times. Also, the word is UT and him were interested in him reclassifying, but his school shut that down.

Job performance is a fair target, open for opinion.
What we were discussing is a lot of his hate had nothing to do with that.

Ive only just this past week resigned to berating Will Friend. Here I was thinking he'd been getting off light. Honestly if he cant recruit or coach for ****, he'll be gone.

Yea, that was supposed to say ‘make me average less than 3 putts a hole.”

I was looking for pointers. I’ve heard that about speed. But I feel like speed one day is complete different than the next.

I have noticed my touch around the greens has improved markedly. I guess I should practice putting more
Spend twice as much time practicing the short game as opposed to the long game.

Take four tees and put them at 3, 6, 12, and 20 feet from a cup with the flattest, straightest putt you can find. Putt from each until you make 3 in a row.

Seeing Florida fly down the recruiting rankings (in my head) given their attrition, I read they would now be 13th minus Diwun Black and 16th minus Jalon Jones.

Which made me wonder what we were (if preseason attrition counted). I guess the easy answer is 11th, but what about with transfers?

If you plug in equivalents for Gibbs and Solomon's transfer ratings - I used 87 Lolani Langi to sub for Gibbs and 95 Trey Palmer to sub for Solomon. This gives us a score of 277.93. Good for 8th. Then I added other transfers for teams below us - teams like Michigan, Clemson, Auburn, Penn St didn't have transfers good enough to jump us. But OSU comes screeching from a beginning 10 point deficit to overtake us. So we finish 9th with all transfers included. 10th if Harris doesn't make it in and we don't replace him. Given how big a role transfers now play and with 247 rolling out rankings that include transfers in the near future, I think we could now consider this a legit top-10 class. If we want to be pumpers and all :cool:

I don't know how long you've been playing but golf is a great game. For the past 9 years, I've managed to play 240 to 250 rounds a year. That's what retirement will do for you ;););). I still play to a 5 handicap. I shot 73 this morning. If I couldn't play golf, might as well just put me in the ground :):)

HERE! HERE ! Just got off the golf range at Bear Trace in Harrison. Beautiful day! If it wasn't for golf I would be bored to tears!

Reactions: yourstruly23
Seeing Florida fly down the recruiting rankings (in my head) given their attrition, I read they would now be 13th minus Diwun Black and 16th minus Jalon Jones.

Which made me wonder what we were (if preseason attrition counted). I guess the easy answer is 11th, but what about with transfers?

If you plug in equivalents for Gibbs and Solomon's transfer ratings - I used 87 Lolani Langi to sub for Gibbs and 95 Trey Palmer to sub for Solomon. This gives us a score of 277.93. Good for 8th. Then I added other transfers for teams below us - teams like Michigan, Clemson, Auburn, Penn St didn't have transfers good enough to jump us. But OSU comes screeching from a beginning 10 point deficit to overtake us. So we finish 9th with all transfers included. 10th if Harris doesn't make it in and we don't replace him. Given how big a role transfers now play and with 247 rolling out rankings that include transfers in the near future, I think we could now consider this a legit top-10 class. If we want to be pumpers and all :cool:
Supposedly Zipperer is one to watch as well. Dan will raiding MS JUCO's again in no time. Unfortunately for him his campus isn't down the road from them.

No doubt. I probably fly 20-30x a year but no matter what when the bumps come intense up lol. I did read an article that helped. Said it’s like a boat on the water.

I use to fly quite a bit back in the day. I use to do a lot of mission work with my dad around the world. Just with Delta I had over 500,000 miles. Flew a lot other Airlines going to different countries. But my dad, lawd have mercy he had over 3 mil miles with just Delta! Permanent Gold member. I got tried of it after almost 20 years of it.

Whoa whoa whoa. How can anyone pay to support Wes Cucker? He is literally as annoying as Will West, more actually. I'd rather be locked in a room with 100 cats listening to Heather Harrington babble for a whole day. Dude is obnoxious.

Some fault his twitter persona, but he's a fine writer and tells it like it is in his 247 articles and board postings. Callahan is one of the best in the business in terms of straight reporting and knows the goddang ins and outs of recruiting, rules, and such. He can explain our yearly numbers situation better than anyone. I once read VQ and they didn't understand the rules at all. They also have an active bball and LV board with some really good posters. Just my .02 but I am happy to support that staff and what they provide, along with a good message board community, especially when JAV is around.

Some fault his twitter persona, but he's a fine writer and tells it like it is in his 247 articles and board postings. Callahan is one of the best in the business in terms of straight reporting and knows the goddang ins and outs of recruiting, rules, and such. He can explain our yearly numbers situation better than anyone. I once read VQ and they didn't understand the rules at all. They also have an active bball and LV board with some really good posters. Just my .02 but I am happy to support that staff and what they provide, along with a good message board community, especially when JAV is around.

its his podcast and attempt at humor. people who've never worked in radio or tv, don't understand how difficult it is to be entertaining for an extended period of time. it sounds easy, but it isnt. always enjoyed radio more than TV.

Yeah, the car thing really helped me a several years ago. Most turbulence is the equivalent of driving down a gravel road instead of a paved one. There are very few turbulence situations where the pilots are white knuckling it.

May want to explain what a gravel road is with all the whipper snappers on here. Nothing like fish tailing moms 73 GranPrix on the old roads.

I give the ILB (and the defense overall) a bit more slack, mainly because 4-3 to 3-4 isn't typically something you can master with one off-season. Especially with the coaching search taking as long as it did.

OL isn't a position group where scheme really derails performance as much. We did have some injuries and ended up with a lot of youth on the field. Friend just doesn't have the proven track record that the other coaches do, so he's honestly an easy target.

Nieds is super lacking in experience, but he's an elite recruiter. Every coach on the defensive side is highly respected, proven, and sought after. Weinke was pretty green, but RBs seemed to do well last season and the OC underutilized them.

Would disagree a bit about Friend's track record. He came in as the highest paid G5 assistant in the country. He put together a very solid and always progressing 3 years at CSU. Same with his record at UGA and UAB. Maybe some aren't as aware of his accomplishments, mostly being outside the SEC, but he's done some nice things in both rushing and allowing sacks. The main thing I notice is how his teams typically progress over time. Just need some patience imo.

Here are his national rankings for sacks allowed and rushing stats (YPC) below.

Sacks Allowed National Rankings:

UAB (don't have stats pre 2009, but he coached here 07-10)
2009 - 48th
2010 - 14th

UGA
2011 - 97th
2012 - 75th
2013 - 46th
2014 - 22nd

CSU
2015 - 22nd
2016 - 9th
2017 - 5th

UT
2017 (Year Prior to Friend) - 109th
2018 - 37th

Rushing National Rankings (YPC):

UAB
2009 - 2nd
2010 - 48th

UGA
2011 - 73rd
2012 - 30th
2013 - 48th
2014 - 8th

CSU
2015 - 36th
2016 - 25th
2017 - 26th

UT
2017 (Year Prior to Friend) - 115th
2018 - 108th

No matter how many times I fly I still have anxiety about turbulence. Anyone else???
On smaller planes I feel it a bit. Took a 45 min flight on a tiny one from a Greek Island back to Athens and swore we were going down at any moment. But, I always try to rationalize my fear with facts - you have a better chance of dying in a car wreck than in an airplane. Which is why I absolutely hate riding with at least half of people. But in a plane, 30,000 ft in the air...not much you can do. Just sit back and remember how absurdly rare accidents are. Then take a drink.

Reactions: GoVolsDR
Updated 2019 recruiting class team rankings after transfers and players who left team

Who the heck cooked this up? I just looked at Miami and Arkansas and neither is anywhere close to this. Going by 247 composite, Miami would still be about 17th with 255 points. No way they are up over 300. Arkansas barely changes at all with 4 3-star transfers and 1 unranked kid (even using their HS rankings, because their transfers weren't even worthy of being reranked).

Also, we have nowhere near 296 points with transfers. We should have just under 278.

This is some wacky stuff. Miami goes from 30th to 1st and Arkansas from 21st to 7th? Somethin fishy goin on.

Last edited:
Would disagree a bit about Friend's track record. He came in as the highest paid G5 assistant in the country. He put together a very solid and always progressing 3 years at CSU. Same with his record at UGA and UAB. Maybe some aren't as aware of his accomplishments, mostly being outside the SEC, but he's done some nice things in both rushing and allowing sacks. The main thing I notice is how his teams typically progress over time. Just need some patience imo.

Here are his national rankings for sacks allowed and rushing stats (YPC) below.

Sacks Allowed National Rankings:

UAB (don't have stats pre 2009, but he coached here 07-10)
2009 - 48th
2010 - 14th

UGA
2011 - 97th
2012 - 75th
2013 - 46th
2014 - 22nd

CSU
2015 - 22nd
2016 - 9th
2017 - 5th

UT
2017 (Year Prior to Friend) - 109th
2018 - 37th

Rushing National Rankings (YPC):

UAB
2009 - 2nd
2010 - 48th

UGA
2011 - 73rd
2012 - 30th
2013 - 48th
2014 - 8th

CSU
2015 - 36th
2016 - 25th
2017 - 26th

UT
2017 (Year Prior to Friend) - 115th
2018 - 108th

I posted this before to try to give some context. It only deals with his time at Georgia where competition is similar to ours. So yep he had the 22nd fewest sacks allowed in 2014 but that was for the Mason-led 90th best passing offense. They had Chubb and Gurley in the backfield that year so 2 NFL running backs probably helped that offensive line and maybe vice versa as far as the run game goes. It's hard to point fingers and single out one position group without context. For example early in his career at Georgia, he had a young QB that was primarily a passer and they were a passing team for the most part as long as Murray was there. He set all kinds of SEC passing records. When he left they relied more on the run. Another thing is I don't think they ever had all that much talent on their offensive line while he was there. I have that chart and I've posted it before. We lost to them all 4 of those years, by 8, 7, 3 and 3. They didn't really dominate us and if Pig don't lose the dang ball we might have won in '13 or if on their last drive we don't give up the career longest run to the least mobile quarterback in the SEC we probably don't even go to overtime. My point is there's a lot of things that can affect the stats that are often attributed to the offensive line and maybe it makes more sense if we used some context. That said, if our offensive line isn't improved this year I'm blaming somebody. I'll figure out who later if we aren't improved which I think we will be. jmo.

ScreenHunter 134.png

Edit to add: Chaney has coached OL at both the collegiate and NFL levels so I think him working with Friend is much to our advantage this year and going forward. As far as Helton goes I couldn't find anywhere that he might have had any experience working directly with offensive lines. Debord was another guy we had that had a lot of experience working with OLs in both college and in the pros. We should have much more cohesion with our OL this year just from a staff perspective alone. jmo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back