Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend still needs to prove something here before he'll get any praise. Bringing in this OL class helps some, but if he can't produce first round draft picks out of some of these highly rated guys then he won't get any love.
Yeah but we're not talking about him getting love, we're talking about the blame he takes for all kinds of crazy stuff.

Okay...well OL is the worst unit on the team and he coaches it. He'll continue to get the bulk of the blame until that changes.
The OL performed as I expected after 1 off season and huge losses of talent. More seemed to feel that way before the OC search.
His performance concerns doubled on here after that.

Would rank ILB above OL but point taken.

I give the ILB (and the defense overall) a bit more slack, mainly because 4-3 to 3-4 isn't typically something you can master with one off-season. Especially with the coaching search taking as long as it did.

OL isn't a position group where scheme really derails performance as much. We did have some injuries and ended up with a lot of youth on the field. Friend just doesn't have the proven track record that the other coaches do, so he's honestly an easy target.

Nieds is super lacking in experience, but he's an elite recruiter. Every coach on the defensive side is highly respected, proven, and sought after. Weinke was pretty green, but RBs seemed to do well last season and the OC underutilized them.

I get the criticism and I've not been impressed with his recruiting, per se. But I can't really fault him for the OL because I think they might be the ones most affected by the piss poor S&C program. I mean, as a unit they trash, but losing Trey was huge. Losing Kennedy after he worked with the 1s all summer was bad. Carvin had a decent first month but looked like he hit the proverbial freshman wall early.

A very undersized Jamir Johnson and Nathan Niehause played decent. I think given another class, plus another off season, and we should be able to better judge him.

Furthermore.... I'll be paying close attention to the development of Melvin McBride and Chris Akpo - tw very raw guys coming in. If he can mold them into respectable players, I think it'll be a testament of his ability.

I know Pittman gets all sorts of love, but someone recently pointed out that until UGA became the bagman machine that it is, he wasn't that well regarded as a recruiter.

Plus, he's so cringeworthy.

Reactions: GoVolsDR
Yeah, I'm still a fan of Friend. Think this season and (especially) next will tell us just how good of a coach he is, the 2019 class gave me lots of hope with his ability to recruit at least. Now to just the on the field improvement.

I think the O and the OL will look much better this season. The OL looked worse than they really are due to a few factors.

Brandon Kennedy injury and the Trey Smith situation. Hard to deal with during the season.

Helton was a terrible OC and play caller and this made the OL look worse.

Which also affected JG and pass plays. He couldn't go through his reads quickly enough and held on the ball too long.

The RB's (esp Jordan) could not quite read the blocks and turn upfield and left a lot of yards on the table.

With Chaney, an OL with continuity, and better QB and RB play, we should be fine.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
Copied this because I didn’t want to hijack the DW thread

Re: VQ

Same. Used to defend them and enjoyed VQ but they’ve proven to be so out of the loop. My script is over in August and I won’t renew. Just rely on this place for my vol fix.

Has 247 proven to be any better? Maybe I’ll go back to them. Idk.

The Dyersville bunch will keep us in the know

Reactions: Devo182
I give the ILB (and the defense overall) a bit more slack, mainly because 4-3 to 3-4 isn't typically something you can master with one off-season. Especially with the coaching search taking as long as it did.

OL isn't a position group where scheme really derails performance as much. We did have some injuries and ended up with a lot of youth on the field. Friend just doesn't have the proven track record that the other coaches do, so he's honestly an easy target.

Nieds is super lacking in experience, but he's an elite recruiter. Every coach on the defensive side is highly respected, proven, and sought after. Weinke was pretty green, but RBs seemed to do well last season and the OC underutilized them.

I think OL is the biggest scheme adjustment personally. Particularly because the offensive line coach installs most of the run game. That’s why I’m not so hard on friend.

The two worst areas of our team i thought were LBs in pass coverage and RB pass protection. We were beyond awful in both.

Reactions: Cheese Vol
Only if I have to poop. There’s no seatbelt in there.

It would have to be an absolute emergency for me to even attempt. Was whale watching in Vancouver last year and had to pee while we were cruising. Totally missed the part where you were supposed to sit down. That was interesting. Sorry others.

You guys make another great point. As soon as it's realized Friend wasn't gonna be made OC, people just decided we were getting Pittman as a package deal Chaney

"Oh, we're not? Also Friend's fault"
The ole package deal...even tho they ain’t. Said it when the talk started, Pittman retires at UGA. The two had no history before their first together at UT. They work great together and that collection of OL talent in Athens will be impacted at least a little with Chaney gone...him being a former OL coach himself, he knows how to tailor his attack with his blockers.

No matter how many times I fly I still have anxiety about turbulence. Anyone else???

Same. Used to a lot more. But what helped was listening to pilots talk about it. Also, next time you are a passenger in a car, close your eyes and feel how much you get bounced around. Far more than turbulence so it's a frame of reference issue.
The best tip I got though, was look at the flight attendants. Are they out with the drink cart, are they just going about their business, are they still answering call buttons? They know better than anyone if it was something to worry about.

Reactions: GoVolsDR
Same. Used to a lot more. But what helped was listening to pilots talk about it. Also, next time you are a passenger in a car, close your eyes and feel how much you get bounced around. Far more than turbulence so it's a frame of reference issue.
The best tip I got though, was look at the flight attendants. Are they out with the drink cart, are they just going about their business, are they still answering call buttons? They know better than anyone if it was something to worry about.
No doubt. I probably fly 20-30x a year but no matter what when the bumps come intense up lol. I did read an article that helped. Said it’s like a boat on the water.

Reactions: IH8TheHaslams
Played 9 today. Been playing a lot more lately (5x in last 2 weeks). Hit balls on the range a few other times. It’s amazing what practice can do for your consistency. I’m still bad, but not abjectly Terrible.

Related: anyone on here that can make a average less than 3 putts a hole?

I don't know how long you've been playing but golf is a great game. For the past 9 years, I've managed to play 240 to 250 rounds a year. That's what retirement will do for you ;););). I still play to a 5 handicap. I shot 73 this morning. If I couldn't play golf, might as well just put me in the ground :):)

Played 9 today. Been playing a lot more lately (5x in last 2 weeks). Hit balls on the range a few other times. It’s amazing what practice can do for your consistency. I’m still bad, but not abjectly Terrible.

Related: anyone on here that can make a average less than 3 putts a hole?
Average less than 3? Most people should. Easiest way to shave strokes and probably the quickest fix for most people. Speed, speed, speed.

Reactions: VolGee4
Average less than 3? Most people should. Easiest way to shave strokes and probably the quickest fix for most people. Speed, speed, speed.

Yep. They teach you that the speed is more important than the break. As long as you have the right speed, you will almost always keep it within a 2-3 foot radius around the hole.

Two things really help your putting- speed and iron play. The better you get with your irons, the closer you are to the hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back