Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
UF won't keep Mullen five years if he doesn't meet expectations. They'll send him packing if things go too far south. The Gators might sink to the bottom but they push right off it, unlike UT, which flounders there for a while due to a tendency to prolong bad decisions.
It's like being down $995 at the poker table and push that last $5.00 in. "This is the hand I'm going to turn it all around." Don't know when to take your losses and move on.

Reactions: LA Vol
weird that's the case. the easy answer is that because FL has so much talent, it's just easier to "get back" down there, than here.

it feels like, and has felt like, everything is so much harder to here than almost anywhere else. at least in terms of getting back to a championship level program. i htink we're going to find out this year and next, we can get back to being a 7 or 8 win team, in fairly short order.

but how to jump in to that next, upper tier? feels like the ceiling keeps getting raised on us...............whereas FL just continues to crap all over itself, and the mantra is "they'll be back,k they'll be fine....cause, well, Florida"....

anyway...i think that for us right now our trajectory at least looks better than UF's right now. need to keep it that way, and i think beating them in the swamp this year would be a great start............

IDT competing with UF and UGA should be that far away. Two years of player development, better conditioning and an incoming class with some difference-makers should help us put a better team on the field this year. A good recruiting class this year, with some key needs met, should put us further along next year. We're not going to be Bama or Clemson any time soon, but we don't need to be Bama or Clemson to compete for the East.

As for UF, they rebound quicker because their leadership is less tolerant of losing than UT's has been. UT has been content with less for a long time. UT does well when we have coaches that have higher expectations than the admin-- Fulmer, Summitt, even the Weeklys, though we're slipping a bit there. When a driven, self-motivated coach personally invests in building a championship team, UT field thems. We just haven't hired many coaches of that caliber.

Last edited:
Thanks! Didn't see that one anywhere. I found one later where he said something about 14,000 which turned out to be 14,000 days since GA won a title. Conclusions.... 1. Mullen is like Kiffin so another reason I am glad we did not get him. 2. Players today expect to get what they want when they want it, and the easy transfer is going to encourage more transfers and sooner. 3. It appears Steele has a good argument to present to the NCAA unlike Fields and Tate which from this years rulings means he will have to sit a year.

Wanna bet Steele gets his waiver before either Solomon or Gibbs? I'd say it's a near certainty.

UF won't keep Mullen five years if he doesn't meet expectations. They'll send him packing if things go too far south. The Gators might sink to the bottom but they push right off it, unlike UT, which flounders there for a while due to a tendency to prolong bad decisions.

They're always going to be able to bounce back quickly due to that fertile recruiting ground they enjoy.

It's like being down $995 at the poker table and push that last $5.00 in. "This is the hand I'm going to turn it all around." Don't know when to take your losses and move on.

Yep. It's incredible how close UT came to keeping Dooley and Butch yet another year-- and how much UTAD wanted to do that.

Reactions: Catbone
IDT competing with UF and UGA should be that far away. Two years of player development, better conditioning and an incoming class with some difference-makers should help us put a better team on the field this year. A good recruiting class this year, with some key needs met, should put us further along next year. We're not going to be Bama or Clemson any time soon, but we don't need to be to Bama or Clemson to compete for the East.

As for UF, they rebound quicker because their leadership is less tolerant of losing than UT's has been. UT has been content with less for a long time. UT does well when we have coaches that have higher expectations than the admin-- Fulmer, Summitt, even the Weeklys, though we're slipping a bit there. When a driven, self-motivated coach personally invests in building a championship team, UT field thems. We just haven't hired many coaches of that caliber.

To add to that, it helps that Florida has had 2 hall of fame coaches over the last 20 years to our one.

Yep. It's incredible how close UT came to keeping Dooley and Butch yet another year-- and how much UTAD wanted to do that.

I really think our leadership was running on the business model; maximum profit with minimal investment as the goal. The reVOLt against Schiano seems to have shown that the tipping point had been reached where that model wasn’t going to work any more. The program finally seems to be spending on par with our rivals as a result.

Sitting in Guangzhou, waiting for the big flight to NY.

I was really interested in some wonderful loose leaf tea they were selling till I did the conversion. I’m thinking “I’m going to get about 9 pounds of great tea from TJ Maxx for that price.” 🤑

Reactions: bpvol
How's your mom? Is anything helping her?
Thanks for asking. She's on a slow steady decline. At this point we've accepted the inevitable. All they do is treat the symptoms. Nothing is going to bring her even remotely back. I've always respected my dad but that has grown exponentially. It is very frustrating to deal with her, she can never be satisfied. If she is home she wants to be going somewhere. When she gets somewhere, she wants to be home. If she's standing, she wants to be sitting. If she's sitting, she wants to be standing. My dad handles that with the patients of Job. It's hard for me not to get angry with her and he reminds me that "it's not your mother." I think the disease has caused her to be bi-polar.

Dad and I have been to multiple Alzheimer's informational meetings and we know what's to come. It ain't pretty. My hope is dad doesn't wait too long before getting help,/placing her in a home. Years go they both purchased long term care insurance but it has it's limits of coverage. It's very good coverage but once the benefits are exhausted it's pretty much gone. Because of this he's worried she'll outlive the benefits. Physically she's in pretty good shape.

Lots of challenges ahead. All prayers are appreciated especially for her and my dad.

Thanks for asking. She's on a slow steady decline. At this point we've accepted the inevitable. All they do is treat the symptoms. Nothing is going to bring her even remotely back. I've always respected my dad but that has grown exponentially. It is very frustrating to deal with her, she can never be satisfied. If she is home she wants to be going somewhere. When she gets somewhere, she wants to be home. If she's standing, she wants to be sitting. If she's sitting, she wants to be standing. My dad handles that with the patients of Job. It's hard for me not to get angry with her and he reminds me that "it's not your mother." I think the disease has caused her to be bi-polar.

Dad and I have been to multiple Alzheimer's informational meetings and we know what's to come. It ain't pretty. My hope is dad doesn't wait too long before getting help,/placing her in a home. Years go they both purchased long term care insurance but it has it's limits of coverage. It's very good coverage but once the benefits are exhausted it's pretty much gone. Because of this he's worried she'll outlive the benefits. Physically she's in pretty good shape.

Lots of challenges ahead. All prayers are appreciated especially for her and my dad.
My sincere prayers for all of you.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
IDT competing with UF and UGA should be that far away. Two years of player development, better conditioning and an incoming class with some difference-makers should help us put a better team on the field this year. A good recruiting class this year, with some key needs met, should put us further along next year. We're not going to be Bama or Clemson any time soon, but we don't need to be to Bama or Clemson to compete for the East.

Definitely agree on that last part...I think as far as the East goes UGA is a couple years ahead of us.

Florida, USCe and the rest... We're not that far off... At least not so much that we should continue to lose to t them at the pace we have recently...

I definitely think we can/should be in the top three of the East sooner than later. Winning it? I'll get back to you in a year or two...

Agree with you tho... The competitiveness on the field should start to reflect the improvements made off of it.. No more blow outs...

I'm sorry to hear that she's hit that point. My family went through it with my grandmother, my great-aunt and my aunt, who was diagnosed with early onset at 50, though she had symptoms years before diagnosis. They've made medical advancements, but not nearly enough. The disease does turn them into another person and it's hard to accept that someone who looks the same can be someone totally different.

It's a hard journey for the family, so I always feel for the loved ones who're dealt the hand of watching and trying to help when there's so little to be done. Your dad's a warrior. It's the hardest job in the world.

Cortisone is a catch all for the class of glucocorticoids. These steroids only block inflammation. No Androgenic properties at all.

Anabolic steroids are the PEDs. Totally androgenic.

Hope that helps. I have to tell athletes all the time that when I say that I am prescribing oral steroids or a steroid shot that they absolutely won’t fail any drug tests or violate any PEDs rules.
Semi-related note, what do you think about men in their 40s and later taking testosterone?

Definitely agree on that last part...I think as far as the East goes UGA is a couple years ahead of us.

Florida, USCe and the rest... We're not that far off... At least not so much that we should continue to lose to t them at the pace we have recently...

I definitely think we can/should be in the top three of the East sooner than later. Winning it? I'll get back to you in a year or two...

Agree with you tho... The competitiveness on the field should start to reflect the improvements made off of it.. No more blow outs...

Haha. I just said "competing" for the East. I have no timeframe on winning it.

But aside from the rare total dominance demonstrated by Bama, that's kinda how it should be-- the three powerhouse programs competing for the division, with any one of the three having a chance at winning it. Tough, competitive games, with no blow outs, would be good for us and the conference. Some programs will be better some years, but there's always the chance any of the Big 6 can prevail. You're right-- UGA is out in front, and UF is never down for long. The Vols haven't been holding up our end. We need to be back in the conversation every year and keep building from there.

In TN at least, you don't have to pay traffic cam speeding tickets. The speeding law specifically states an officer has to witness the infraction in person.

They just rely on people not being aware of the law and paying out of fear. One of our congressmen has a YouTube video telling people to rip them up. He did his on the video lol.
You have to pay those bad boys in Texas :cool::cool::cool:, $75 a pop. I don't have to worry about those anymore.

What's weird is I completely agree but perception says I shouldn't.
The last 2 FL coaches lasted 3 yrs and 4 yrs.
The last 2 TN coaches lasted 3 yrs and 5 yrs.
1 season difference and they're viewed as terminators and us as floundering around.
You have to look deeper at the wins and losses. Mac got an extra year after losing to TN. Jones got another year after peaking at 8 and still losing to Vandy.

So we are down to 30th in 247. At what point do you think, hmmm maybe there is an issue here? I think a lot of guys on our board are waiting quietly to see if we can at least get a few more wins this year.
So.....all this news about UF is exciting for UT fans! What can be done? Oh, oh I know let's invent something to be negative about and interject into the conversation. But what? Eh, not much out there....maybe recruiting that is 8 months away from EARLY signing day. Yep, boom, that is it!

that's just false. and even with the talent up grades we've show to add this past cycle, they're all true freshmen. at some point that "talent" level washes, at least somewhat, with youth and inexperience.

as for the it takes time angle, that's the development portion. that does take time. how much? no idea, a lot goes in to answering that.

i don't think it's going to be year 2.

that said, it is year 2, and there should be improvement....i can see 7 wins, possibly 8, in the regular season this year. part of that is year 2 bump. part of it is the schedule. next year's schedule is a tad more difficult with @ ou on it. but it's year 3....

i think this year and next are going to mirror each other, record wise. and year 4.....well by then....we should be knocing on the door of 9/10 wins regular season....imo.

Yeah I just don't agree, incoming freshman can only be rated or ranked by where they are graded. We have had better classes on average than anyone in the East except for Georgia and Florida over the last 5 years. Butch mishandled them and it set us back, that doesn't change the fact the players can be developed with a good coach, perfect example is the NFL and how often non productive players (Justin Coleman for example) can be developed into not just on roster guys but starters in the NFL. The fact we've recruited better AND lost less production than Missouri, Vandy, USC, and Kentucky tells me this should be the year we have the best chance to turn the corner. Need to make that 2+ win jump and start winning or the recruiting won't become top 10 level on a consistent basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back