Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's a weird spot...I'm sort of on both sides of the fence I guess.

Side 1 is we have as much talent as any other team in our conference, and far superior talent to teams we've lost to even. So the excuses and the "takes time to rebuild" just don't exactly jive with me

Side 2 is we are still under a brand new HC and we did also just change out both coordinators, so it's not like things aren't still behind compared to a few other schools

We should beat Vandy, Kentucky, USC, and Missouri every year...none of those programs have proven superior coaching or talent (based on ratings etc.) And very few SEC West teams outside of Alabama should be given losses every year. A&M once Jimbo gets rolling will be a hard one, but LSU and Auburn both haven't proven to be yearly powers. That's a good solid 5 wins that should be possible yearly in conference, if we're at least competitive with Bama/Georgia and yes even Florida it's not like asking to make the playoffs every year or anything 8+ wins yearly would be fine for me, until Pruitt has a few years of experience under his belt at least.

65% winning percentage is what most consider a pretty good/great coaching record especially for the SEC.
that's just false. and even with the talent up grades we've show to add this past cycle, they're all true freshmen. at some point that "talent" level washes, at least somewhat, with youth and inexperience.

as for the it takes time angle, that's the development portion. that does take time. how much? no idea, a lot goes in to answering that.

i don't think it's going to be year 2.

that said, it is year 2, and there should be improvement....i can see 7 wins, possibly 8, in the regular season this year. part of that is year 2 bump. part of it is the schedule. next year's schedule is a tad more difficult with @ ou on it. but it's year 3....

i think this year and next are going to mirror each other, record wise. and year 4.....well by then....we should be knocing on the door of 9/10 wins regular season....imo.

that's just false. and even with the talent up grades we've show to add this past cycle, they're all true freshmen. at some point that "talent" level washes, at least somewhat, with youth and inexperience.

as for the it takes time angle, that's the development portion. that does take time. how much? no idea, a lot goes in to answering that.

i don't think it's going to be year 2.

that said, it is year 2, and there should be improvement....i can see 7 wins, possibly 8, in the regular season this year. part of that is year 2 bump. part of it is the schedule. next year's schedule is a tad more difficult with @ ou on it. but it's year 3....

i think this year and next are going to mirror each other, record wise. and year 4.....well by then....we should be knocing on the door of 9/10 wins regular season....imo.
On mirroring, I believe it's likely also, because of Oklahoma. Think we'll be improved but good grief it feels like we just take someone's prediction for playoff and make a schedule based off of that.

Bama, Georgia, Oklahoma.. I mean can't we throw in Clemson just because I too, hate the idea of wins.

I just don't think there was ever reason to suspect it would be anything but a long rebuild. You can't have the kind of setbacks we keep having over a decade and it not have cumulative effects.

It's agonizing just how close we were in 2015. That team was championship caliber.
Well I think a lot of people thought the recruiting would be a lot "hotter", thus speeding things up.

It's been good but not good enough to fix everything in 2 years.... To get back to Championship form anyway

On mirroring, I believe it's likely also, because of Oklahoma. Think we'll be improved but good grief it feels like we just take someone's prediction for playoff and make a schedule based off of that.

Bama, Georgia, Oklahoma.. I mean can't we throw in Clemson just because I too, hate the idea of wins.
Agreed. Id almost rather play ou this year and have this year's schedule, next year...

Reactions: chargervol
Agreed. Id almost rather play ou this year and have this year's schedule, next year...
Going to the game in Norman. Glad to wait. Both OT’s will be a year seasoned which is waves better than the last game I attended there.

We’ve been down for so long that we’ve finally become realistic.
lol...some of us have i guess. to me though, it just is what it is. i can't look at Clemson, GA, Bama etc...and look at us and see the same product on the field. it's just not there....

we'll know it when we see it, and i'm hoping we see signs of it this year.

the schedule isn't brutal this year, 2 byes, before important games. i'd really like to see us close out the season on a 4 or 5 game win streak. go to a good bowl, and have some MO going in to the spring next year.

you wanna take each season on it's own, but really, where we are, it's a cumlative deal for us at this point. we are young right now, so what they do this year, how they go in to next, and what gets added tot hat will matter.

there's opportunities this year and next that could change teh direction of this program. i think while most will tell us, and rightfully so, that FL is probably better than we are right now, i don't think that gap is so wide that we couldn't go down there and get a W this year. i honestly think that aside from GA and Bama this year, you could argue every other game is a toss up. so go win 7 or 8 of them........

next year, @ou, you get FL at home...GA and Bama present the same problem, but there's two huge games there, pluse all the other SEC games...plenty of opportunity for this program.

do we or do we not have a staff and team that can go take advantage of them, when they present themselves? the last staff couldn't/didn't the majority of the time. the two year window they had, they wasted. i'm anxious to see how we do the next time those same opportunities present.

Really good article in the Athletic about the Steele transfer. One bit I didn't expect is they said with that transfer that Florida doesn't have a single 5 star on their roster. And each of the last 3 years they've lost one of their highest rated recruits before even playing a game.
mehlen. lol.

i'm starting to get on the "we're beating FL this year" train.

eff 'em.

I'm down for crapping on UF when we can, but this listicle is kinda dumb.

They couldn't find an even 10, and thought they found 9, but I think they really found only 5.

Eastern Michigan was worse than Kansas for much of the last 15 years. Them scheduling two P5's (even if it is Kentucky and Illinois) is good for them.

Big XII teams have 9-conference game round robin schedules, so the fact that they both scheduled a P5 apiece is on par with standard SEC scheduling. BC is going to be favored over Kansas, and Arizona/TTU is a pretty even match-up.

Florida having 2 FCS foes is pretty dumb, but at least they balance it out with two ACC opponents (as trash as the state of Florida is).

If they wanted to add Tennessee as their 10th team, I'd understand, because our schedule ain't all that hot this year.

But Andy Coffaro is lazy and writes an easily digestible hit piece for dumbasses.

I've been lucky, actually (apart from the red light cameras). I did get one not too long ago though for rolling through a stop sign, which was ridiculous.
If you want something to tell you where red light cameras are, get the Whistler C97 radar detector. Best $250 I ever spent. It gives you plenty of warning time when approaching the cameras. It even has updates available from their web site when new cameras are installed. Pretty cool device. You're welcome :cool::cool::cool:

Reactions: GoVolsDR
I'm down for crapping on UF when we can, but this listicle is kinda dumb.

They couldn't find an even 10, and thought they found 9, but I think they really found only 5.

Eastern Michigan was worse than Kansas for much of the last 15 years. Them scheduling two P5's (even if it is Kentucky and Illinois) is good for them.

Big XII teams have 9-conference game round robin schedules, so the fact that they both scheduled a P5 apiece is on par with standard SEC scheduling. BC is going to be favored over Kansas, and Arizona/TTU is a pretty even match-up.

Florida having 2 FCS foes is pretty dumb, but at least they balance it out with two ACC opponents (as trash as the state of Florida is).

If they wanted to add Tennessee as their 10th team, I'd understand, because our schedule ain't all that hot this year.

But Andy Coffaro is lazy and writes an easily digestible hit piece for dumbasses.

Anytime you play Miami and Florida state as 1/2 your non conference games then it shouldn’t matter.

Also there’s isn’t any difference in some FCS teams than someone like Utep. That team was maybe the worst I’ve ever seen come to Neyland.

Reactions: ChismsHeadband
Going to the game in Norman. Glad to wait. Both OT’s will be a year seasoned which is waves better than the last game I attended there.
I understand. If I were going, I'd want the best chance of winning possible.

If we can't take them, an extra loss or same number of losses, will artificially look like a setback. Just cause it's natural for people/recruits to focus on win total.

BUT if we win cause of that extra yr....Oh shoot. FYRE guy gonna be drawing more cartoons than Disney.

Reactions: jakez4ut
I understand. If I were going, I'd want the best chance of winning possible.

If we can't take them, an extra loss or same number of losses, will artificially look like a setback. Just cause it's natural for people/recruits to focus on win total.

BUT if we win cause of that extra yr....Oh shoot. FYRE guy gonna be drawing more cartoons than Disney.
You schedule it...you play it. Win by less than 50 over Austin Peay equals 20+ loss to the Sooners in my experience.

If you want something to tell you where red light cameras are, get the Whistler C97 radar detector. Best $250 I ever spent. It gives you plenty of warning time when approaching the cameras. It even has updates available from their web site when new cameras are installed. Pretty cool device. You're welcome :cool::cool::cool:
In TN at least, you don't have to pay traffic cam speeding tickets. The speeding law specifically states an officer has to witness the infraction in person.

They just rely on people not being aware of the law and paying out of fear. One of our congressmen has a YouTube video telling people to rip them up. He did his on the video lol.

Reactions: Sleegro
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back