Tennessee will host Troy in 2020

Good grief. Texas, Clemson, and GA Tech!? That’s insane! I bet they end up canceling one of those but maybe not. That would take some big brass ones to play those 3 ooc games. I do like us playing Power 5 ooc and would be good with 2 each year since we only play 8 conference games.
That's what I was thinking (surely they'll cancel something) but that's carrying it too far and they'll probably end up with 2 OOC losses for their trouble if they don't.

Selfishly, I want an overall competent group of people to govern college football and create universal rules for all P5 conferences. I want an 8 team Playoff, 9 conference games , 2 P5 OOC and 1 cupcake for homecoming or a break in the middle of the year.
Couldn't agree more.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Once we get good again,if we actually ever do, THEN go schedule teams like OU 2-3 years out to a home and home. But right now, it does the program ZERO good.

Home and homes are generally scheduled at least 5-7 years out, you can pick up one of these cupcake games with somebody random on shorter notice but to do any of the scheduling I'm talking about, at this point, we are talking 2023-25 at the earliest. Everyone's roster will have turned over by then, there is no way to tell who will be good other than general historical projection (Alabama surely thought FSU would be better when they scheduled that game). I like our chances to at least be decent again by then.

That's what I was thinking (surely they'll cancel something) but that's carrying it too far and they'll probably end up with 2 OOC losses for their trouble if they don't.
You were right though. I looked and they have 2 straight years with 3 Power 5 ooc opponents. The year before they play Texas, Clemson, and Tech they play Texas, FSU, and Tech. Plus, every year except 1, which still appears to have a game left to be scheduled, UGA plays 2 Power 5 teams and usually a pretty good one like OU or Oregon to go with Tech. They better hope the SEC doesn’t go to 9 conference games anytime soon! I don’t think the conference will. But that’s very impressive scheduling by UGA.

You were right though. I looked and they have 2 straight years with 3 Power 5 ooc opponents. The year before they play Texas, Clemson, and Tech they play Texas, FSU, and Tech. Plus, every year except 1, which still appears to have a game left to be scheduled, UGA plays 2 Power 5 teams and usually a pretty good one like OU or Oregon to go with Tech. They better hope the SEC doesn’t go to 9 conference games anytime soon! I don’t think the conference will. But that’s very impressive scheduling by UGA.
It's some cocky mess to play 3, especially at that level. Lord Bowlcut may find himself out of a job.

You kidding? Maybe you’ve missed it, but we can’t get wins against freaking Vanderbilt, so if we don’t play teams like Charlotte, Furman, North Texas abd ETSU, we ain’t getting any wins.

We play 3 top 10-15 teams every year (Bama, Georgia and Florida), most years a very good SECW opponent and 1 good P5 OOC team. Our schedule is fine imo....if anything, until we’re not the 13th or 14th best team in the SEC, we need more of a pasty OOC schedule. For instance, we have no freaking business playing Oklahoma next year, none.

Go play KState or Iowa or NCstate or somebody like that, a tier 2 P5 team. Just no reason to play a perennial playoff team right now just so we can get our heads bashed in and embarrassed on National television again

Once we get good again,if we actually ever do, THEN go schedule teams like OU 2-3 years out to a home and home. But right now, it does the program ZERO good.
We need respectable wins. These type of wins will not help us

We haven't been in a conversation where style points mattered for about 12 years. Just win.
Reasonable people can certainly differ on this (and most things), I'm of a mind though that we've been down for so long now that we need to get a little Bobby Bowden-Florida State "anytime, anywhere" mentality to get back our national swagger. Odds are we aren't going to lose to a lot of the Power 5's I mentioned scheduling and if we step up and when we step up and play the Oklahoma's we have a lot to gain if we win, and not as much if we lose, it's no disgrace to lose to someone like that. It's good for the fans too to let us see some of these teams come to Neyland instead of UAB. I'm not suggesting we schedule Texas, Clemson, and Georgia Tech all the same year like Kirby is apparently doing that's crazy. I would just like to see us maybe play two OOC power 5's a year, maybe one marquee team and one also-ran we should beat but who would be good exposure in a pipeline state. 2019 and 2020 are booked, but something like this (things I would like to see added are in bold):

• 09/03 - Ball State
  • 09/10 - at Pitt
  • 09/17 - Army
  • ADD HOME GAME TO NORTH CAROLINA/NC STATE/DUKE/WAKE FOREST/GEORGIA TECH
  • 09/02 - at BYU
  • ADD HOME GAME WITH MIAMI/FSU/VIRGINIA TECH/VIRGINIA
  • Cupcake
  • Cupcake
  • 09/07 - Oklahoma
  • ADD AWAY GAME WITH MIAMI/FSU/VIRGINIA TECH/VIRGINIA
  • Cupcake
  • Cupcake

• ADD AWAY GAME TO NORTH CAROLINA/NC STATE/DUKE/WAKE FOREST/GEORGIA TECH
  • NEUTRAL SITE GAME WITH PENN STATE (maybe in Baltimore or D.C.)
  • Cupcake
  • Cupcake

• 09/12 - at Nebraska
  • ADD HOME GAME TO NORTH CAROLINA/NC STATE/DUKE/WAKE FOREST/GEORGIA TECH
  • Cupcake
  • Cupcake
  • 09/11 - Nebraska
  • ADD AWAY GAME TO NORTH CAROLINA/NC STATE/DUKE/WAKE FOREST/GEORGIA TECH
  • Cupcake
  • Cupcake
I realize some of this may not be possible because of other current obligations, but I'd like to see us adopt this sort of strategy.

Last edited:
Reactions: ptcarter
Pretty sure they don't play 3 of them at a time. Texas doesn't get picked up for about 10 years so.

It’s hard to get Neyland amped up for cupcakes. Bring in some P5s and the place will be electric. Same goes for the top SEC games. The traditional gimme games done get the crowd going even if they are SEC programs.

Sure the standard has been adjusted as to what a gimme game is, but when it comes down to atmosphere we all know who we expect to drum even if it hasn’t been the case during these few down years that have been stacked together here lately.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
Pretty sure they don't play 3 of them at a time. Texas doesn't get picked up for about 10 years so.
I don’t know if they will end up canceling one of the games but right now UGA has 2 years back to back where they have 3 Power 5 OOC games scheduled. The first year is Texas, FSU, and GA Tech and the second year is Texas, Clemson, and GA Tech. That’s insane.

I don’t know if they will end up canceling one of the games but right now UGA has 2 years back to back where they have 3 Power 5 OOC games scheduled. The first year is Texas, FSU, and GA Tech and the second year is Texas, Clemson, and GA Tech. That’s insane.

FSU, GaTech and Texas.
Oklahoma, Alabama and Georgia

Which 3 you want?

Charlotte is a FBS team in the Sun Belt Conference so I'm not sure what there is to apologize for there. I'm not a big fan of the games against FCS teams either, but they're just a reality with everybody filling out 12 game schedules. Sometimes there's not much choice.
I'd rather the money go to another state school.

I heard on the radio the other day that Florida hasn’t played a non-conference road game outside the state of Florida since 1991. That’s insane!
Correct. The 2029 game they just scheduled will be their first true road game since then

FSU, GaTech and Texas.
Oklahoma, Alabama and Georgia

Which 3 you want?
Apples and oranges Behr. I didn’t mention anything about their conference schedule as that isn’t set yet. Plus who knows how any of these teams will look in 10 years including us.

Apples and oranges Behr. I didn’t mention anything about their conference schedule as that isn’t set yet. Plus who knows how any of these teams will look in 10 years including us.

I understand, but my point is I've seen several posters talk about how insane that schedule is and over a 12 game schedule, I don't see it any more "insane" than ours pretty much every year.

Home and homes are generally scheduled at least 5-7 years out, you can pick up one of these cupcake games with somebody random on shorter notice but to do any of the scheduling I'm talking about, at this point, we are talking 2023-25 at the earliest. Everyone's roster will have turned over by then, there is no way to tell who will be good other than general historical projection (Alabama surely thought FSU would be better when they scheduled that game). I like our chances to at least be decent again by then.
We announced our home and home schedule with Oklahoma in 2017, 2 years ago, or 3 years away from the first game

Tennessee, Oklahoma Announce Football Series - University of Tennessee Athletics

That is a load of crap. Were we very good in the sec? no we weren't, but we pulled 2 upsets of top 25 teams both of which are sec teams. We may have been one of the worse teams in the sec but not the country, and you know that your just determined to be as negative as possible.
1. We are a struggling program trying to rebuild. We can’t beat Vanderbilt right now, so OOC wins are at a premium. This team needs wins to gain momentum and help in recruiting....schedule whoever you need to stack done wins to be bowl eligible.

2. We pulled to upsets.....balanced by losing a school record 6 games by at least 24 points.

3. Nothing about my post which triggered you was negative. It was honest and reasonable.

4. I couldn’t possibly care less about what you think of my posts....you’re fairly new to the board, perhaps you don’t know there’s an ignore button. You clearly struggle with opinions contrary to your own, I suggest you put me on ignore so you don’t have to suffer the stress of seeing/reading them.

It’s hard to get Neyland amped up for cupcakes. Bring in some P5s and the place will be electric. Same goes for the top SEC games. The traditional gimme games done get the crowd going even if they are SEC programs.

Sure the standard has been adjusted as to what a gimme game is, but when it comes down to atmosphere we all know who we expect to drum even if it hasn’t been the case during these few down years that have been stacked together here lately.

Agree. Neyland amped is like nothing else. I have a dear cousin. Grew up in a Vandy family, yet claims to like the VOLS. Wanted him to accompany me to a game in Neyland (back when I had an extra season ticket). Told him to look at the schedule and pick a game.... any game. He chose Oklahoma. Not sure how many of you were there, but Neyland was loud like the old days when we had 109,000. His ears rang for a week, and he was overwhelmed by one of the greatest atmosphere's he's experienced.. He's in Nashville and a Titans season ticket holder. Said Titans couldn't hold a candle to what he witnessed that night.

Would be nice to have a quality opponent come in and open a can of woop ass. And eventually be good enough to embarrass one of those cocky Big 10 Schools like Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State etc. Rare that they do Home/Away with SEC.

Reactions: Iam4utalways
Would be nice to have a quality opponent come in and open a can of woop ass. And eventually be good enough to embarrass one of those cocky Big 10 Schools like Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State etc. Rare that they do Home/Away with SEC.
Yeah, they are skeered of the heat.

Agree. Neyland amped is like nothing else. I have a dear cousin. Grew up in a Vandy family, yet claims to like the VOLS. Wanted him to accompany me to a game in Neyland (back when I had an extra season ticket). Told him to look at the schedule and pick a game.... any game. He chose Oklahoma. Not sure how many of you were there, but Neyland was loud like the old days when we had 109,000. His ears rang for a week, and he was overwhelmed by one of the greatest atmosphere's he's experienced.. He's in Nashville and a Titans season ticket holder. Said Titans couldn't hold a candle to what he witnessed that night.

OU still hurts. I wasn’t there, but that’s one that sticks with you and just shake your head every time you think about it.

VN Store

Back