Pruitt learns a valuable Lesson....

We also have to realize Pruitt took over after our team went 4-8 (0-8 SEC). The program was at one of its worst or the worst position ever. He has a tough job ahead to get this thing turned around but is doing it.

With all of that being said, he has zero head coaching experience.

I hope and pray that it won't matter and he rights the ship.

Those last 2 losses were BRUTAL. I hope he learned that losing to Vandy is unacceptable under ANY circumstances. The fact they were unmotivated and unprepared falls squarely on his lap as HC. The jury is still out on Pruitt. Hope he can turn this around.
You can prepare a team as much as you want if you didn’t recruit them and they’re not interested in playing against a team there isn’t much you can do. I’m not saying Pruitt didn’t have some responsibility for the loss but clearly our team did not want extra practices with a bowl game. Missouri was a better team than us; Vanderbilt we had no business losing to.

Pruitt's brother has talked about sitting down and watching a game with him and listening to his brother call out every play the offense was about to run. This is the kind of defensive mind we have at the helm.

And our defense was still heinous. That says everything.

Reactions: Titan05
I do think his assessment makes clear that he knows guys quit on him as has been mentioned here before
Yep. You could have not watched a Tennessee game all year, or not kept up with the happenings of the program for a while, and known that guys quit in that Vandy game. It was patently obvious.

Where have I heard this before? It always takes time. We always need to give them plenty of time.
We heard it with Butch.. We heard it with Dooley.. Some even said it with Fulmer, even after two losing seasons in four years. That's where you have heard it before.

With all of that being said, he has zero head coaching experience.

I hope and pray that it won't matter and he rights the ship.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dabo had no head coaching experience when he took over Clemson. Kirby had none either when he took UGA job. At one point Urban Cryer had no head coaching experience either. Holy cow! you mean Nick Saban had no head coaching experience at some point in his career too?

It's a dumb argument. Every single head coach the world has ever known, had no head coaching experience before their first head coaching job. Funny how that works.

It does feel unusual to hear a UT HC talk about learning from their mistakes. Is there a chance Fulmer had similar statements back in the early 90s? I'm wondering if Pruitt has a reverence for CPF and is taking his advice on what to improve on.

The last thing any man needs to have for any other man is reverence. Respect? OK. Reverence? Ha!

Fulmer had Zero Coaching experiences too

Wrong. Fulmer served as interim head coach before Majors was let go. So, when he was named head coach, he had a slight taste of experience acting as head coach. Try thinking before typing.

It’s all in how you say it. The report sheds light on Pruitt in a positive way which I like but I’ve learned that if he starts losing more it would sound like this: “Pruitt ignores players and doesn’t care about them. He also tries to control everyone of his coaches.”

Our fan base is very sensitive. Like the girl who’s already mad at you on the second date. They’ve already claimed 8-4 and if it’s not reached will be screaming fire! If he reaches 8-4 they’ll be discussing why he screwed up 2 games and should have been 10-2.

one of my oldest friends is a Vandy grad. not ok.

Not OK is the understatement of the year. I find it no coincidence that every time that happens, every pharmacy and Wal-Mart in town runs out of Imodium AD.

It’s all in how you say it. The report sheds light on Pruitt in a positive way which I like but I’ve learned that if he starts losing more it would sound like this: “Pruitt ignores players and doesn’t care about them. He also tries to control everyone of his coaches.”

Our fan base is very sensitive. Like the girl who’s already mad at you on the second date. They’ve already claimed 8-4 and if it’s not reached will be screaming fire! If he reaches 8-4 they’ll be discussing why he screwed up 2 games and should have been 10-2.

You got that right. I remember the National Championship game. I was at my friends house watching it on his big screen TV that he thought was all that and a bag of chips. You had to hold your head at the right angle to see anything. Anyway, Jeff was pacing around finding fault with every last play. On the TD pass from Tee to Peerless, he turned his back and walked outta the room, bemoaning another "throwaway pass". Missed the catch and TD. Poor Ole Jeff didn't get to see the touchdown until after he saw the extra point, and the commercial break.

I swear if this is some kinda virus going around up there, Jeff is the original carrier and has passed it on throughout Neyland Stadium. Good enough guy, but he loses his mind at games.

Reactions: SolidRockGolf
When we talk about DEPTH...it's important to remember what Phil Fulmer said during the Orange and White game.
Paraphrasing here, but it went something like:
"We need enough top-tier talent on the team that every player has to compete for their starting position every week" .
The importance of DEPTH goes beyond just having good players to rotate in and out during a game, or (God forbid) when there's an injury.
Having and keeping QUALITY depth on the roster is how a program becomes a consistent top-tier competitor. We need to build a program where truly excellent players would prefer to be on the bench now and then at Tennessee than starting somewhere else.

Well, thanks for pointing out something Fulmer paraphrased that I can agree with.

Seems the greatest amount of competition we have had is to who gets to guard the water bucket at the end of the bench and tackles anyone who comes near it.

Pruitt's brother has talked about sitting down and watching a game with him and listening to his brother call out every play the offense was about to run. This is the kind of defensive mind we have at the helm.

Well that is all well and good sitting down and watching it at Mama's house. If he and Ansley can teach the defensive players how to anticipate and read formations and shifts that well, we might be getting somewhere.

Thanks for your comments. Very constructive and insightful. 5 Star message board contributor. Probably a prolific twitter user as well.

At least you are a prolifically good avatar selector.

The offseason doldrums stretch on into the heat of an early summer I see.

Waiting is all that we CAN do now unfortunetly. There are actually only 12 or 13 days that can actually move the needle on where UT and Pruitt are at and the first of these is still about 4 months away.

When you really think about it, all of our talking, posting, call ins, arguments, and bull sessions are all centered solely on a mere 720 minutes of game clock time.

College football for all of its popularity and majesty is sadly the shortest duration major sport you can follow in terms of actual gane time ) apart from High School.

If you cant learn to wait and wait and wait, college football is a constant heartbreak. And even if you can wait, for a UT fan the past decade plus has been a constant heartbreak as well.

Let hope those 720 minutes turn out awesome and morph into 780 minutes of smiles. We are grossly overdue.

Sigh......

Reactions: Matt2496
No it isn't.

It's respect.

Go buy a real dictionary.

What exactly do you think "reverence" means?

rev·er·ence
/ˈrev(ə)rəns/
Learn to pronounce
noun
deep respect for someone or something.
"rituals showed honor and reverence for the dead"
synonyms: high esteem, high regard, great respect, acclaim, admiration, approbation, approval, appreciation, estimation, favor, recognition

Reactions: jackaro
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dabo had no head coaching experience when he took over Clemson. Kirby had none either when he took UGA job. At one point Urban Cryer had no head coaching experience either. Holy cow! you mean Nick Saban had no head coaching experience at some point in his career too?

It's a dumb argument. Every single head coach the world has ever known, had no head coaching experience before their first head coaching job. Funny how that works.
Forgot Bob Stoops. DC to NC winning HC in two seasons...of course never again.

IMO this team looks like a 5 & 7 team that will not get blown out 6 times 25+. Think we will just have 1 or 2 Bama or/and Georgia 25+ losses this year. Progress, slow but progress.

VN Store

Back