Report contradicts Rick Barnes account of not taking UCLA job

At some point, as a negotiator you have to know when to walk away from the table. If Barnes doesn't win at the highest level you've financially hamstrung yourself in regards to replacing him both with buyout and with what you have to pay the next coach you hire.

The sad thing is, whichever story you believe, Fulmer had leverage. Either Rick wouldn't leave because UCLA wouldn't pay his buyout, or UCLA turned him down when he came back to try and leave for their original offer. Fulmer had the upper hand in both cases and still made him the 3rd highest paid coach in the NCAA. So yes, Fulmer has put himself on the line here and if Barnes doesn't remain a huge success and bring in some hardware, this is a boondoggle.
B.S. !!🤪
GBO!!

Seems like a he said/they said story with no idea who's actually telling the truth, but hey, let's just hate on our basketball coach for good measure. I mean, he's done nothing to harm the university or draw the ire of the NCAA like past coaches. All he's done is help us get better. Damn him for that!

This is what happens when you’ve got someone by the jewels. Loyalty is gone they just need a new way to spin it and that was Barnes angle. I said this would be a yearly thing with him and it looks like I’ll be more right than wrong. If he gets an offer that checks all the boxes he’s out on the first thing smoking.

Meaning he’s worth stealing. We win.

I caught the end of a conversation on local Memphis radio today. It was agreed that Barnes’ version wasn’t for selfish reasons. He had no reason to say it. This report is obviously for selfish reasons to deflect the criticism.

I think it’s pretty obvious why they wanted it out there. Plus, it’s old news. People need to let this go. He’s our coach, and he’s good at his job.

I don't disagree. I haven't (I don't think, but I have been known to drink and post) posted anything much about this Barnes story, because I don't mind a guy getting whatever he can in his career. It's a business. But as you say, this feels like Barnes'
"version." I at least now would like to know the actual "truth". Because one of these guys is lying about it, to the detreminent of the other party. And to me, that's a pretty good indicator of a man's character. As you pointed out, why would Barnes lie? I think, and hope, that he wouldn't. I'd like to know so we can tell the Bruins people to pound sand.

I don't see how Fulmer can be blamed for this. He knew a coach who just turned the program around was on the verge of leaving for another job and did everything he could to keep him here, and was successful in doing so. Rick went back to UCLA and asked them to meet the new salary Fulmer had given him. This is about Barnes being a greedy snake. Plain and simple.
Have you never negotiated a salary? You're working for company A when company B shows interest. You feel that company B offers better opportunities to accomplish your career objectives, but company A is offering you a steep raise to keep you. You still like company B better, but now there is a financial incentive to remain with company A. So you don't talk to company B and ask them to match company A's offer? Wow, that attitude really odd to me. Keep in mind that with higher cost of living and taxes, a matching offer from company B still represents in real terms a pay cut. I don't know about you personally, but it seems obvious to me that many of Barnes's critics on this matter have some issues with class envy.

Reactions: The Vin Man
I don't see how Fulmer can be blamed for this. He knew a coach who just turned the program around was on the verge of leaving for another job and did everything he could to keep him here, and was successful in doing so. Rick went back to UCLA and asked them to meet the new salary Fulmer had given him. This is about Barnes being a greedy snake. Plain and simple.
If only they could pay Grant and Bone to stay too

Honestly, the biggest problem I have here is with Barnes lying about what UCLA did. The AD out there has taken a TON of heat because their fanbase believed the deal fell through over the buyout. If that was not the case, and Barnes was willing to lie about it to 1) cover up how bad of a bluff he attempted and 2) that he really wanted out of Knoxvillle, then that is sorry as hell.

And you know this to be 100% true? I would like to know your sources.

Honest question. What are you hoping for? Do you want to see him leave or get fired? And, then what? I’m tired of Tennessee having a revolving door of coaches. If a basketball blue blood like UCLA wants to talk, you listen. If you want to use that as leverage for getting a better contract, especially at this stage in his career, you do it. That’s being smart. Regarding the other rumors...nobody knows what’s true and what’s not.

As much as I like Barnes, he doesn't look good with these articles. But if you parse Barnes words, then he all but said he didn't want to be at Tennessee during his interview by "not" stating he wanted to be at Tennessee.

It was very noticeable. He pretty much said he was gone until he wasn't. Ultimately he said devine intervention is why he's here because he wasn't going to be here on his own accord. It is a little surprising given the reported details behind the scenes that Fulmer would still pay that much money. I know there are a lot of nutcases in the fanbase but he has proven he is not a VFL so we shouldn't kid ourselves.

How many coaches are making $4M or less that we would love to have on a short list and would jump at the job? Barnes is good but this is a bad look. I too think he is nervous that the program will take a big step back next season if players stay in the draft.

As much as I like Barnes, he doesn't look good with these articles. But if you parse Barnes words, then he all but said he didn't want to be at Tennessee during his interview by "not" stating he wanted to be at Tennessee.

It was very noticeable. He pretty much said he was gone until he wasn't. Ultimately he said devine intervention is why he's here because he wasn't going to be here on his own accord. It is a little surprising given the reported details behind the scenes that Fulmer would still pay that much money. I know there are a lot of nutcases in the fanbase but he has proven he is not a VFL so we shouldn't kid ourselves.

How many coaches are making $4M or less that we would love to have on a short list and would jump at the job? Barnes is good but this is a bad look. I too think he is nervous that the program will take a big step back next season if players stay in the draft.
None. Key words bolded. There’s no VFL head basketball coaches out there. Most top coaches aren’t even lifelong fans of their current team. Roy Williams is an UNC alumnus and former assistant and he turned them down the first time.

I don't disagree. I haven't (I don't think, but I have been known to drink and post) posted anything much about this Barnes story, because I don't mind a guy getting whatever he can in his career. It's a business. But as you say, this feels like Barnes'
"version." I at least now would like to know the actual "truth". Because one of these guys is lying about it, to the detreminent of the other party. And to me, that's a pretty good indicator of a man's character. As you pointed out, why would Barnes lie? I think, and hope, that he wouldn't. I'd like to know so we can tell the Bruins people to pound sand.
As you said, why would Barnes lie? Why would he be so frank and forthcoming with the media in that press conference, and put himself out there for ridicule, and have lied about something so trivial? One party stands to gain a lot more by spinning this story in their favor at this point, mainly their job which is squarely on the line. The other one is sitting in the catbird seat with a fist full of dollars and job security for the rest of his career, most likely.

Last edited:

You are overthinking it. Coaches are employees just like the rest of us. He isn’t an alum or have an attachment to the university. This thread is not newsworthy. This was reported 2 weeks ago.

We paid a premium to keep him so that we could have continuity and not have to hire a new coach. First, we weren’t paying $4 million for a new coach. Second, if you think there are many that would jump at it, then I am sorry you think that. We would most likely have to hire another mid major and hope that the decision is correct. Just the way that works.

Reactions: butchna
None. Key words bolded. There’s no VFL head basketball coaches out there. Most top coaches aren’t even lifelong fans of their current team. Roy Williams is an UNC alumnus and former assistant and he turned them down the first time.

Maybe I didn't communicate it well so here goes. We are paying Barnes over $5M. How many good coaches could we have gotten for $4M or less? None including Barnes would be here because they are VFL's. We didn't have to pay $5M to get a coach of Barnes quality that wants to hit and run. I like how he develops a program and players but I think there are others with those qualities and demand a lesser price tag.

Love all the concern about UTs fiscal responsibility. If we didn’t pony up the money, cheap would be about the kindest thing said about Fulmer and Co. top paid coach shows top level commitment. Who cares abou all the “who shot John” on how it went down

You are overthinking it. Coaches are employees just like the rest of us. He isn’t an alum or have an attachment to the university. This thread is not newsworthy. This was reported 2 weeks ago.

We paid a premium to keep him so that we could have continuity and not have to hire a new coach. First, we weren’t paying $4 million for a new coach. Second, if you think there are many that would jump at it, then I am sorry you think that. We would most likely have to hire another mid major and hope that the decision is correct. Just the way that works.
Yep. Again, look where we pulled coaches from in the 4 previous hires before Barnes, who was in the unemployment line.

Reactions: butchna and VolGee4
Maybe I didn't communicate it well so here goes. We are paying Barnes over $5M. How many good coaches could we have gotten for $4M or less? None including Barnes would be here because they are VFL's. We didn't have to pay $5M to get a coach of Barnes quality that wants to hit and run. I like how he develops a program and players but I think there are others with those qualities and demand a lesser price tag.
We didn’t pay $5 mil to GET Barnes. We paid it to KEEP him. Define “good”. We couldn’t pry Archie Miller away from freakin DAYTON once upon a time! Mike White from a directional Louisiana school shunned us for the same money from Florida. You don’t get a Barnes level coach on the cheap...UCLA couldn’t. If your interpretation of “good” is Roy Williams, Jay Wright, Bill Self et al, just ask yourself why UCLA couldn’t land em. Truth is, you nor anyone else pulverizing that horse has a name of a candidate that matches. Fulmer gets static if he goes to Boyd for money to entice Beard and Pearl is a pipe dream. Your whole scenario is fiction and poorly wrought. You say “others” name one!

Why let Barnes go to hopefully hire Buzz Williams for $4.5m and hope that he can walk in and immediately win at the same rate Barnes was? Which I remind you was a program best 2 year run, that’s quite an assumption.

Why let Barnes go to hopefully hire Buzz Williams for $4.5m and hope that he can walk in and immediately win at the same rate Barnes was? Which I remind you was a program best 2 year run, that’s quite an assumption.
We fire Barnes to get Buzz and we end up with JACK.

I think Barnes admitted himself that the buyout was the sticking point to him turning them down. I think after Fulmer made his offer, UCLA paying the buyout 100% became necessary for Barnes to leave. That's what I think was Barnes asking for more money. UCLA not paying 100% of the buyout meant the TN offer was better.

While I do think that if the L.A. Times story is true, that that would be very bad form for Barnes, I also think that lying comes as naturally to denizens of L.A. as does breathing. I lived there for ten years and can count on one hand the good and genuine people I met in that time, and still have fingers left over.

VN Store

Back