'20 GA QB Harrison Bailey (UT SIGNEE)

I think the deal with harrison at some camps is these analysts have seen him for several years now. They are focusing on the new shiny sports cars because they already have their opinions of his game formed over the years. I’d bet they aren’t really watching him much because they know he will be good regardless

"We get this question every regional when our top performers don't jive with the MVP's. The simple answer is we're looking at it from the angle of projecting upside as prospects and putting weight on factors we value- in this case with the QB's, mobility plays a big role. And if you look at college and the NFL, it's substantiated. I can't speak to how they pick their MVP's, but for example in several cases this spring there have been two and three star prospects that have been MVP's over superior prospects who in our eyes had better days. So how much stock to put into that is really up to the eye of the beholder. Getting back to the QB's, Vandagriff and Doty were the top two for all of us there. Bailey had a solid day for sure, but he doesn't move nearly as well as the other two and they were at the worst comparable as passers."
~Charles Powers

Chicken sh!t response to me from Charles Powers. This answer shows to true bias pf these guys. The list was a "top10 performers on the day", yet he makes it about upside. Can't wait for Bailey to place #1 in the Elite11 and blaze the opening. These guys are fuggin morons.

My response to Charles...
"By this definition you guys would've had Peyton Manning rated a low 4 star. Bailey is the most polished passer in the nation and will likely place 1st in the Elite11 this summer. But hey those other guys sure can move well in those compression shorts. I think the Elite11 forgot to give your boy Dotty his invitation. Maybe you can go get it for him. I'm sure it was a honest mistake."

I’m keep laughing at the whole “mobility” thing.

There’s been great NFL QBs who wasn’t a threat to run.

Peyton Manning would have been dropped to a 3* if Rivals was around at that time.
This isn't the NFL, Manning is the exception when it comes to QBs with poor mobility who still excelled, and mobility isn't the sane thing as being a dual threat.

Reactions: k-town_king
Bailey said he’s “trying as hard as I can” to convince some of Tennessee’s other top targets to pick the Vols, starting with a couple of his Marietta teammates, four-star linebacker/defensive end BJ Ojulari and five-star athlete Arik Gilbert. “I’m still on Arik every day,” said Bailey. “He’s going to play ball with me. He might as well just go ahead and make his mind up.”

Four-star wide receivers Kris Abrams-Draine of Spanish Fort, Ala., and E.J. Williams of Phenix City, Ala., are among the other offensive weapons Bailey said he’s hoping to bring with him to Tennessee. “Coach (Jeremy) Pruitt kind of says it for me: Every class starts with a quarterback, and if you get you a quarterback to start, I mean, you see how it falls in line,” Bailey said. “I just need some of the boys to go ahead and hop on board with me, help me out a little bit. But when they come, they come.

Bailey has been back to Tennessee at least five times — “a whole lot,” he said — since January. After attending one of the Vols’ spring practices and their spring game on April 13, he said he’s even more encouraged by the direction of the program under Pruitt’s staff. “Man, it’s definitely a different feel or atmosphere from last year,” Bailey said. “Coaches are more upbeat, wanting to be successful. Practice is always a little bit faster, louder. (There is) more competition, a lot more scrimmaging. “I just can’t wait to be a part of it.”

Returning to Tennessee on a regular basis has allowed Bailey to get to know first-year Vols offensive coordinator Jim Chaney and quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke. “He’s a cool dude. I love Coach Weinke,” Bailey said. "He’s so down-to-earth and caring about his players. Can’t thank him enough. He’s always on you about anything (during practice). You can drop back and throw the most perfect ball, but he’s going to find something to get on you about. “He’s just that type of dude. He’s going to try to make you great. He knows there’s more inside you. I like that.

“I met with (Chaney) one time (at Georgia), but I didn’t really know him that much. Man, he’s a funny guy. Our personalities match. I just appreciate him giving me the opportunity, really, to play. It’s fun.” Bailey said he remains firmly committed to the Vols because of their “honesty, and I know they’re going to let me be me.” “The first day I step in, I know they’re going to let me lead and be the player I am,” said Bailey, who plans to arrive at Tennessee in January as an early enrollee. “They’re not going to restrict me or hold me back. I appreciate them. They’re good people.”

As for his own recruitment, Bailey admitted “there are some schools” that are still “coming after me” despite his commitment to the Vols. "But they know where I’m at with Tennessee,” he added, "so they’re being respectful, and I appreciate that. Unless something drastic happens, I don’t plan on taking any more visits. The process started when I was in seventh, eighth grade. For it to be junior year and I’m committed, it’s like a sigh of relief. “Four years of just recruiting — it was a headache sometimes, and I’m just glad that it’s over.”

"We get this question every regional when our top performers don't jive with the MVP's. The simple answer is we're looking at it from the angle of projecting upside as prospects and putting weight on factors we value- in this case with the QB's, mobility plays a big role. And if you look at college and the NFL, it's substantiated. I can't speak to how they pick their MVP's, but for example in several cases this spring there have been two and three star prospects that have been MVP's over superior prospects who in our eyes had better days. So how much stock to put into that is really up to the eye of the beholder. Getting back to the QB's, Vandagriff and Doty were the top two for all of us there. Bailey had a solid day for sure, but he doesn't move nearly as well as the other two and they were at the worst comparable as passers."
~Charles Powers

Chicken sh!t response to me from Charles Powers. This answer shows to true bias pf these guys. The list was a "top10 performers on the day", yet he makes it about upside. Can't wait for Bailey to place #1 in the Elite11 and blaze the opening. These guys are fuggin morons.
Lol what an idiotic response. How can they tell mobility at these events when they aren't facing any actual pressure and aren't playing an actual game?

Not all scouts and recruiting analysts are dumb, but a lot of them are. And a lot are so egotistical and think they know better than coaches.

Man, love this Bailey kid. The exact attitude we need.

He's right, TN is gonna get there's. Wish the hell some would go ahead and jump, helping the guy out on peer recruiting. Said before, if you're probably gonna end up here, you're making your own future life easier.

This isn't the NFL, Manning is the exception when it comes to QBs with poor mobility who still excelled, and mobility isn't the sane thing as being a dual threat.
He's not immobile though. He avoids lots of sacks just stepping up in the pocket or getting out of it. He throws extremely well while on the move. He is under pressure every single play and still gets the ball away almost everytime while getting drilled.

He isnt going to run for a 50 yard td, but he is going to step up in the pocket and throw a ball 50 yards downfield on a rope.

So the MVP award is for who performed the best and the top 10 performers of the day is for who has the most upside based off of atheltic measurables.

At the end of the day QB is the most important position on the field and the position which recruiting services have no idea how to evaluate. Look at the amount of 4* and even 5* QBs that transfer from the school they originally commit to. Then a lot of QBs who are drafted high in the NFL are not the highest rated QBs.

I don't believe scouts are are dumb but recruiting analysts are just reporters giving a guess that is influenced by the money spent by the parents. I look at the offers by what coaches and how hard are the teams trying to get the players on campus. The last part helps to clarify a commitable offer for me. If I respect the coaches ability to evaluate talent and he takes a 3 star commit I don't have a worry in the world.

So the MVP award is for who performed the best and the top 10 performers of the day is for who has the most upside based off of atheltic measurables.

At the end of the day QB is the most important position on the field and the position which recruiting services have no idea how to evaluate. Look at the amount of 4* and even 5* QBs that transfer from the school they originally commit to. Then a lot of QBs who are drafted high in the NFL are not the highest rated QBs.

Yeh so much about being a winning QB is between the ears, which you just can't really see until the All American LBs are literally coming at you with the intent on breaking your body. Easy to spot good mechanics, but hard to accurately gauge potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinBob
I don't believe scouts are are dumb but recruiting analysts are just reporters giving a guess that is influenced by the money spent by the parents. I look at the offers by what coaches and how hard are the teams trying to get the players on campus. The last part helps to clarify a commitable offer for me. If I respect the coaches ability to evaluate talent and he takes a 3 star commit I don't have a worry in the world.
Yeah, I probably misspoke by adding "scouts" in my post. I more meant recruiting analysts for sure.

VN Store

Back