Recruiting Forum Off Topic Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine thinking that because you are poor you deserve to have things handed to you rather than working for them
poor people work their ass off. CEOs and upper level managers subsist off their labor. The least they can do is pay higher taxes so those with nothing can get proper treatment when they’re ill without having to worry about going bankrupt

Imagine thinking that because you are poor you deserve to have things handed to you rather than working for them

There seems to be a campaign of vilifying the poor that's been persistent for ... as long as I can remember.

There are 'welfare queens' out there, but we shouldn't look at 5% of people gaming the system and punish the other 95% that truly depend on the social safety net. Wanting a fairer, more even playing field =/= wanting free hand-outs. Wanting a social safety net that can take care of the elderly, disabled, and vulnerable is more patriotic than a Libertarian dismantling of the safety net.

Reactions: chargervol
There seems to be a campaign of vilifying the poor that's been persistent for ... as long as I can remember.

There are 'welfare queens' out there, but we shouldn't look at 5% of people gaming the system and punish the other 95% that truly depend on the social safety net. Wanting a fairer, more even playing field =/= wanting free hand-outs. Wanting a social safety net that can take care of the elderly, disabled, and vulnerable is more patriotic than a Libertarian dismantling of the safety net.
Not a political person but agree with so much of what you just said.
Me hiring many contractors over the years and being around their laborers so often, the "lazy" and "entitled" narratives, drive me crazy.
Way more hard working people that just don't have opportunities for livable wages than "welfare queens". Despite how many people paint it as the opposite.

Why I avoid the political forums.
VN posters that spend at least half of their work day posting on a FB site, grouping people with 2 jobs and scared to take a sick day, in the "lazy" category.
Ridiculous.

I can agree to a point but I'd raise that 5% up quite a bit. Also that net you are referring to is threadbare at best and yet we still pay billions to keep it there.

Reactions: Nash_Vol97
Wouldn't effect you, people are still gonna buy what they want, especially if they don't have to worry about a damn income tax anymore.
The average sales tax on one of my products would be $60,000 counting state and local. That's if the federal tax was 10%.

The rich vilify the poor, and the poor vilify the rich

The wheel goes round and round

Not a political person but agree with so much of what you just said.
Me hiring many contractors over the years and being around their laborers so often, the "lazy" and "entitled" narratives, drive me crazy.
Way more hard working people that just don't have opportunities for livable wages than "welfare queens". Despite how many people paint it as the opposite.

Why I avoid the political forums.
VN posters that spend at least half of their work day posting on a FB site, grouping people with 2 jobs and scared to take a sick day, in the "lazy" category.
Ridiculous.

My mom is deaf. She was fired for being deaf, despite being able to do her job very well with substitutes for phones, like instant messenger. She won the lawsuit, which basically gave her a year and a half of wages, but her career was shattered. She was in her late 40's at the time, and has had to rely on part-time jobs ever since. She's had interviews, but that process is hell for a deaf person. She receives a disability check every month.

My sister passed away due complications from lupus. She relied on disability and food stamps and led a meager life.

Individually, I'd venture to say, we know more people that fall in that category-- sick, disabled, elderly, vulnerable-- than the mega-millionaires we're talking about taxing slightly more to bolster the safety net.

There's nothing wrong with celebrating success, but the blind worship of 'job creators' who had one great idea and is now squeezing as much out of it and the people working for them to profit in perpetuity is ham-fisted and one-sided. There's a combination of vilifying the poor and worshiping the rich, which just doesn't sit well for me, when the costs of everything are rising at a higher rate than wages.

I can agree to a point but I'd raise that 5% up quite a bit. Also that net you are referring to is threadbare at best and yet we still pay billions to keep it there.

Sure, maybe 5% is low. That aside..

Making cuts to medicare, SNAP, welfare, etc is not how you empower people to get off of welfare. It's how you plunge people deeper into desperation, and if anything making people MORE dependent on anything they can get. It's a punitive non-solution.

What do we want, to cut welfare out completely and then we're driving to work, passing up the decrepit on the streets? Walking over the destitute, doing our best to ignore them as we're out shopping? Because that's what happens when you keep cutting these programs.

I'm not saying "More welfare! For everyone!" I'd love true investment into the system. Higher more case managers to be able to weed through those 'welfare queen' cases. Firm up the requirements for enrollment. I'm not an expert, but there are solutions there. But they can't be punitive.. for example, the drug test idea in FL was dumb af because they found out not a whole lotta people will buy weed when they can barely afford food and cost the taxpayers.

I would rather my taxes go to a reformed safety net that actually works, than to the millionaire/billionaire class in the lottery-level hopes that they create more jobs.

My mom is deaf. She was fired for being deaf, despite being able to do her job very well with substitutes for phones, like instant messenger. She won the lawsuit, which basically gave her a year and a half of wages, but her career was shattered. She was in her late 40's at the time, and has had to rely on part-time jobs ever since. She's had interviews, but that process is hell for a deaf person. She receives a disability check every month.

My sister passed away due complications from lupus. She relied on disability and food stamps and led a meager life.

Individually, I'd venture to say, we know more people that fall in that category-- sick, disabled, elderly, vulnerable-- than the mega-millionaires we're talking about taxing slightly more to bolster the safety net.

There's nothing wrong with celebrating success, but the blind worship of 'job creators' who had one great idea and is now squeezing as much out of it and the people working for them to profit in perpetuity is ham-fisted and one-sided. There's a combination of vilifying the poor and worshiping the rich, which just doesn't sit well for me, when the costs of everything are rising at a higher rate than wages.
Really hate that for your mom and sister.

Like I said, not a political person so gonna try to drop out of the conversation. Probably will regret saying anything. Have no negative thoughts on wealthy people in general, just case by case.

Just the people I know that could definitely use assistance, are far from the lazy and entitled label always thrown around so freely here and everywhere else.

Usually notice that many people that throw around those terms, make their livings off the backs of those they readily insult. Just hits a sore spot with me.

fed tax wouldn't be that high and again that's with no income tax so that money is in their pocket.
10% is what I've seen thrown about. I've lost sales due to Tennessee state sales tax. It's significant. Maybe cap it on big ticket items.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back