Carpenter bees

Company I worked for recommended that option to curb mole (and armadillo) activity. You have to get a lawn treatment from a Scott’s or Tru-Green tho. One customer did it and their yard ceased being ground zero for both varmints.

Milky spore for the grubs.

Not true. Just because he hasn't had a failure doesn't mean it won't happen. I reclaim barns , and I've seen whole sections of floors collapse because of them. It depends on the type of wood and how much load it carries.

From what I've observed, they prefer wood around the edges. Usually wood further into a barn is spared. I think it's because the outer boards receive sunlight and warm them. Maybe it's something to do with hatching their eggs.

Any soft wood they love, but they especially love poplar. I've seen a poplar 2x8 break because of their boring. It doesn't take a lot of holes, just 1 in the right place.

@buckfama didn’t want to start a thread so thought I would just ask you here. I know you reclaim barns. How bout wood decks? I had a 30x40 deck that was around a 24’ above ground pool. I removed the pool and now need to get rid of the deck. I’m in the northwest Georgia area. If you are interested or know of anyone that might be, please let me know. If I can’t find someone who wants it within next couple of weeks, I’m taking a chainsaw and lighter fluid to it. Lol

Reactions: buckfama
@buckfama didn’t want to start a thread so thought I would just ask you here. I know you reclaim barns. How bout wood decks? I had a 30x40 deck that was around a 24’ above ground pool. I removed the pool and now need to get rid of the deck. I’m in the northwest Georgia area. If you are interested or know of anyone that might be, please let me know. If I can’t find someone who wants it within next couple of weeks, I’m taking a chainsaw and lighter fluid to it. Lol

It depends on the type of wood it's constructed with. Honestly, I have so much booked right now that I couldn't possibly get to it any time soon. I'm about to leave for Lynchburg Tennessee in the next couple days. Just got back from Florida yesterday and probably driving back down with another delivery Monday night.

After Lynchburg, I have to go to Cleveland Tennessee, and then onto Ohio for a couple months, then back.to Tennessee lol.

Im flat covered up.

First catch if the season. View attachment 202839

That trap has an interesting design. I have two traps and have caught several this season. One of the varmints kept harassing us as we relaxed on the deck last evening. I never could manage to swat the offender and it finally went away. Checked my traps before we came inside and guess what, yep a fresh catch. :)

Reactions: vollygirl
That trap has an interesting design. I have two traps and have caught several this season. One of the varmints kept harassing us as we relaxed on the deck last evening. I never could manage to swat the offender and it finally went away. Checked my traps before we came inside and guess what, yep a fresh catch. :)
We had this trap on the front porch last year and caught a bunch in it. I brought it to the deck with intentions of attaching it, and forgot it was there. It's not even sitting the way it's supposed to and still caught one.

Reactions: Zues1
It's unbelievable how many of those bees are around my little shed before I started working on them. I've caught or swatted over 30 this year so far this year and last year it was probably 100.

Reactions: vollygirl
Got 2 more today. Housing is going to have to replace the one part of the fence. The wood is pretty much shot.

This is my carpenter bee elimination system. Its a dollar store butterfly net firmly affixed to a piece of bamboo pole. The little bastards try to eat my boat dock every year. I killed about 15 of them over the last two days. The crappie is 14" and is included for scale. I can reach a long way with this rig. I net them and then crunch them underfoot while they're still in the net. Fish don't seem to want to eat the suckers for some reason. They just float away.

Carpenter Bee Net 2.jpg

Reactions: malinoisvol
This is my carpenter bee elimination system. Its a dollar store butterfly net firmly affixed to a piece of bamboo pole. The little bastards try to eat my boat dock every year. I killed about 15 of them over the last two days. The crappie is 14" and is included for scale. I can reach a long way with this rig. I net them and then crunch them underfoot while they're still in the net. Fish don't seem to want to eat the suckers for some reason. They just float away.

View attachment 203466
Gross! (the crunching part) LMBO!!

Like others have mentioned....keep your wood stained/painted. Keep holes filled in. If and when you redo your deck or remodel, go with alternatives like Trex and Hardie board if you can swing the added costs. It's been a point of contention between me and the wife. She has this fascination with "real wood". Loves it....until it's time to paint/stain/deal with carpenter bees/etc. I won out on my deck and it's Trex. I pressure wash each spring and it looks as good as the day it was installed. She got her cedar rails and pressure treated stairs. Every 2-3 years, it's time to repaint/stain. I don't do paint/stain. Those were the rules when these decisions were made. I don't say "I told you so", but man, I do think it and smile.

Reactions: malinoisvol
I finally decided the tennis racket was a losing battle and got a trap. Do you just leave the dead ones in the trap and let them attract more, or do you empty it?
Yes, they are attracted to the others in duress. For those that are buying the traps put a fresh dead one in the trap. I currently have about 10 in one trap and three in another one.

I've caught 6. I will have to empty it tomorrow. Gonna have to do the Tennessee 2-step on their arse.
I finally decided the tennis racket was a losing battle and got a trap. Do you just leave the dead ones in the trap and let them attract more, or do you empty it?

VN Store

Back