Offense/Defense Analysis for CJP In year 2

TrueVolsGBOInsider

When you look at our roster as it currently sits, and that takes into account freshman players who will be enrolling in the next month for summer classes. The Tennessee Defense definitely has the edge as to which group Pruitt has made the biggest impact on so far. And I don’t mean in terms of
Coaching guys up as much as I mean Pruitt bringing in his Own recruits and them playing meaningful football as freshman/sophomore. We could have as many as 8 possibly 9 guys who Pruitt recruited starting on defense this year. And for me that leaves my mouth salivating as I think of the possibilities abound with these young players on defense that Pruitt is bringing in. We still have work to do on the d line but I really
Like what we have at LB and in the secondary for the coming years. There’s NFL talent starting to show up sprinkled threw the team and that is a breath of fresh air. The competion on defense this upcoming preseason camp should be the deepest competition we’ve had on defense in the last 5-7 years imo. That depth/competion will breed wins too.

When you look at offensively what Pruitt’s brought in so far, you have to like the offensive lineman haul we have gotten over the last 2
Years. We’ve brought in elite talent this year as well with wright Morris and lampley so I really like the direction Pruitt is headed with the lineman. I still think Pruitt has to prove he can go out and get big time receivers, but I believe in time that will happen. Overall there are more Butch Jones guys on the offensive side of the ball than defensively but I do feel
Those offensive guys have done a great job learning CJP’s system and what he expects from them. But also I feel like the offensive guys have done a good job in trying to rebuild their team identity on the offensive side of the ball, and that can tougher to do when you have a defensive minded coach. If we can get the offensive line going this fall then I think the offense can surprise some people with the weapons we have in the outside. Overall though, offense is still behind the defense in terms of taking on pruitts identity. In time it will come, more so now that we have Jim Chaney I feel. I would like to see Pruitt become more balanced in terms of finding gems on both sides of the ball as he matures and grows and a recruiter/head coach.

Last edited:
i think you mean Wright as the other Elite OT brought in. no slight on Lampley, but Wright and Morris were the Elite OL brought in.

agree with the merit of the post.

talent up grade in spots, but we got younger as well. usually, that means you see flashes, but consistency is a problem. i would expect that to be the case here.

i think the secondary and WR are the strengths of the team going in to 2019. TE looks good too. DL and OL are still questions. LB has talent, but no depth. RB really kinda depends on whether or not Jordan has gotten better and if Banks has cured his fumbling problem.

still, i expect over this team to be better overall than last year....and the schedule lightens up.... 7 or 8 wins should be doable.

Really believe that we’re heading in the right direction. This year depends on our OL and DL. Looking ahead we should be solid on the OL. Fear we might be another recruiting cycle away before the DL is there.

Reactions: TrueVolsGBOInsider
Don't forget Chris A .he's gonna be good

Yeah I like him too, he’s built like a freaking Ox! He played against some good competition in high school so I like the way his game translates to the next level. Physically I think he’s in a good position to play early but how fast he adjusts to SEC speed is what the biggest question is. Hopefully summer workouts continue to help him make strides.

Reactions: morristown vol
When you look at our roster as it currently sits, and that takes into account freshman players who will be enrolling in the next month for summer classes. The Tennessee Defense definitely has the edge as to which group Pruitt has made the biggest impact on so far. And I don’t mean in terms of
Coaching guys up as much as I mean Pruitt bringing in his Own recruits and them playing meaningful football as freshman/sophomore. We could have as many as 8 possibly 9 guys who Pruitt recruited starting on defense this year. And for me that leaves my mouth salivating as I think of the possibilities abound with these young players on defense that Pruitt is bringing in. We still have work to do on the d line but I really
Like what we have at LB and in the secondary for the coming years. There’s NFL talent starting to show up sprinkled threw the team and that is a breath of fresh air. The competion on defense this upcoming preseason camp should be the deepest competition we’ve had on defense in the last 5-7 years imo. That depth/competion will breed wins too.

When you look at offensively what Pruitt’s brought in so far, you have to like the offensive lineman haul we have gotten over the last 2
Years. We’ve brought in elite talent this year as well with wright Morris and lampley so I really like the direction Pruitt is headed with the lineman. I still think Pruitt has to prove he can go out and get big time receivers, but I believe in time that will happen. Overall there are more Butch Jones guys on the offensive side of the ball than defensively but I do feel
Those offensive guys have done a great job learning CJP’s system and what he expects from them. But also I feel like the offensive guys have done a good job in trying to rebuild their team identity on the offensive side of the ball, and that can tougher to do when you have a defensive minded coach. If we can get the offensive line going this fall then I think the offense can surprise some people with the weapons we have in the outside. Overall though, offense is still behind the defense in terms of taking on pruitts identity. In time it will come, more so now that we have Jim Chaney I feel. I would like to see Pruitt become more balanced in terms of finding gems on both sides of the ball as he matures and grows and a recruiter/head coach.

I figure the Offensive and OL aren't as bad as everyone thinks. Lots and lots of room to improve though.

I'm also worried that the DL isn't as good as advertised (I hope they are). And even if they are, DL depth/experience is a concern.

We mostly know what we have with JG, JT and BM. But better blocking could bring their production way up.

RBs are very good but could use more depth. WRs are very good and deep and Gibbs is another potential option here as well.

TE, we need more experience beyond DWA and bulkier blockers.

LBs and Safety are starting to look real good with good depth and that doesn't even include: Peterson, To'oto'o and Roman Harrison.

CBs are solid too. I wouldn't say they are exceptional but very good.

Special teams are solid.

Really could use Soloman/Gibbs this season.

just wait til next year!!

besides the two 9 win seasons with butch we haven't had much to crow about here since 2007.

good times ahead, i hope...

all things being equal, this isn't wrong.....i do think that what happens during the season will impact that date though....7/8 wins plus a bowl would go a very long way to making that date count even more.

Absolutely. I just don’t have any confidence we get 8 wins. It would be huge though.

Absolutely. I just don’t have any confidence we get 8 wins. It would be huge though.
confidence is relative. right now, it's just what is possible.

year 2 in the s&c program, upgrades at DC and OC, some new talent...and a good bit of returning, albeit some of it questionable, experience......i mean, last year we got our doors blown off by several teams. were never even in some of those games to give ourselves a shot at the W.

and you look at the schedule....MO, Vandy, KY, MSU all lost big time production from last year. we got no big bad OOC game.

it's doable. it's not a sure thing....hard to look at match ups in April....if i had to put money on it....i'd say 7 might be the ceiling....

Reactions: KBVol
confidence is relative. right now, it's just what is possible.

year 2 in the s&c program, upgrades at DC and OC, some new talent...and a good bit of returning, albeit some of it questionable, experience......i mean, last year we got our doors blown off by several teams. were never even in some of those games to give ourselves a shot at the W.

and you look at the schedule....MO, Vandy, KY, MSU all lost big time production from last year. we got no big bad OOC game.

it's doable. it's not a sure thing....hard to look at match ups in April....if i had to put money on it....i'd say 7 might be the ceiling....

That’s exactly where I am. I think we’re just too far behind in talent even after everyone else arrives. I had hoped to see something in the spring game to get me more excited, but it’s evident we need another cycle.

Reactions: KBVol
The most important date on the 2019 schedule is Early Signing Day.
all things being equal, this isn't wrong.....i do think that what happens during the season will impact that date though....7/8 wins plus a bowl would go a very long way to making that date count even more.

I like where you guys took the discussion. I’d agree with both of you all. Realistically, if we get to 7, or 8 wins. Where do you guys think we should be at in the recruiting rankings if 7 or 8 wins happens. Do we think it’s top 5 or bust type of class or would we all be happy with another top 12 finish after getting better regular season results.

Reactions: Jack Burton
I like where you guys took the discussion. I’d agree with both of you all. Realistically, if we get to 7, or 8 wins. Where do you guys think we should be at in the recruiting rankings if 7 or 8 wins happens. Do we think it’s top 5 or bust type of class or would we all be happy with another top 12 finish after getting better regular season results.
i think a lot depends on some of the positions of need. not all top 5 classes are created equal.

like this year, easy to look at top 12 and not think that's good enough, but at some big time positions of need, OL and LB, we did as well as almost anyone in the nation, and got some quality players at other positions.....safety, WR, ATH....some real quality at some of those other positions, though maybe not the high 4* 5* types.

this year, i think you look at QB, DL/pass rusher, and WR to start, i think those are our biggest needs for this class.....we already got the QB. let's see if we get the majority of the kids we want at the other positions.....if we do, i'm not sure i would get bent out of shape if this isn't a top 5 class.

the good news is if we do get the majority of those players, at those positions, we aren't going to be that far away from top 5.....

so...go win some games. put someting on the field that shows what this can look like with some time, and more personnel, and a lot of those kids will be able to see themselves as the pieces we need to get where we want to be.

easy.
:)

Reactions: TrueVolsGBOInsider

I don’t think we have the talent for 8 wins but if we win 8 I think we’d have a lot of momentum with the class. There will be enough buzz on campus to keep top recruits interested if they visited. Good chance for a top 5 finish.

6 or 7 wins is more likely and still very positive for the program considering our recent history. I’d hope a legit top 10 class happens here filling positions of need especially DL, WR and hopefully a semi-elite RB.

VN Store

Back