The Runner's thread

How was it?

The race was great, but the last 8 miles really worked me over. The first 13.1 were great and I spent my time running with various flag holders in the 4 hour group. When I got to mile 18 I don't know if I hit the wall or what, but I felt my stride shorten and my pace crashed hard, and I ended up finishing in close to 5 and a half hours.

Reactions: volfannbama
The race was great, but the last 8 miles really worked me over. The first 13.1 were great and I spent my time running with various flag holders in the 4 hour group. When I got to mile 18 I don't know if I hit the wall or what, but I felt my stride shorten and my pace crashed hard, and I ended up finishing in close to 5 and a half hours.
I did the same once in the Fort Worth marathon. Felt great the first 13, and started to slow. Once I got to 16 I felt awful. Took me longer to do the last 10 than the first 16. Funny story on that one, I was trying to calculate my finish time and was thinking 5:30. Then a 5:05 pace group passed me around 23 I guess. I thought okay, id doing ok......it was the 5:05 ultra pace team.

Anyway, great job.

I did the same once in the Fort Worth marathon. Felt great the first 13, and started to slow. Once I got to 16 I felt awful. Took me longer to do the last 10 than the first 16. Funny story on that one, I was trying to calculate my finish time and was thinking 5:30. Then a 5:05 pace group passed me around 23 I guess. I thought okay, id doing ok......it was the 5:05 ultra pace team.

Anyway, great job.

Thanks! I do appreciate it. I'll be interested in running some more marathons soon and try some different things in training as well. Less speed work, less hills, more of an emphasis on running splits in training. Nashville marathon is in 4 weeks, and I think that might be a good half to run. Just like Knoxville, Nashville's course has lots of hills, so I should be pretty acclimated to the conditions.

Thanks! I do appreciate it. I'll be interested in running some more marathons soon and try some different things in training as well. Less speed work, less hills, more of an emphasis on running splits in training. Nashville marathon is in 4 weeks, and I think that might be a good half to run. Just like Knoxville, Nashville's course has lots of hills, so I should be pretty acclimated to the conditions.
Im running in Nashville. Looking forward to it, although my training has lacked for this one.

Half marathon yesterday in 2:16. Sucks thinking you can hold a pace faster than what you can really hold. Last 3 miles were awful.

Half marathon yesterday in 2:16. Sucks thinking you can hold a pace faster than what you can really hold. Last 3 miles were awful.

I'm thinking of doing a half marathon in the next month or so - perhaps Nashville but work travel is going to make that one challenging.

How do you handle trainings for half marathons? I'm curious how much speed work should be a focus, as opposed to focusing on moderate and long runs.

I'm thinking of doing a half marathon in the next month or so - perhaps Nashville but work travel is going to make that one challenging.

How do you handle trainings for half marathons? I'm curious how much speed work should be a focus, as opposed to focusing on moderate and long runs.
I usually only do speed work once every week or so. I usually go treadmill for it and do timed sprints. I usually keep my milage around 20-30 per week. So when im prepping for a half I usually just add a couple miles to my longer runs. Looking back at my run yesterday, I should be real happy. My diet and work schedule hasnt helped me lately.
Ill be in nashville for the full. Be ready to pay out for a hotel if you are not close. The nfl draft is really jacking prices up.

I usually only do speed work once every week or so. I usually go treadmill for it and do timed sprints. I usually keep my milage around 20-30 per week. So when im prepping for a half I usually just add a couple miles to my longer runs. Looking back at my run yesterday, I should be real happy. My diet and work schedule hasnt helped me lately.
Ill be in nashville for the full. Be ready to pay out for a hotel if you are not close. The nfl draft is really jacking prices up.

Definitely will not be doing a hotel, but you can find some decent airbnbs. That's the way I'll travel if hotels are going to jack up their rates due to a surge in demand.

What I'm getting at with the speed work is pushing my anerobic threshold, which will hopefully carry over nicely when I'm pushing through any kind of endurance activity that goes for 90 minutes or more. I'm incorporating trail running now and that's a lot of fun. Not anything I'd be timing in preparation for a road course, but they are great courses to run to really work your quads and connective tissue.

Definitely will not be doing a hotel, but you can find some decent airbnbs. That's the way I'll travel if hotels are going to jack up their rates due to a surge in demand.

What I'm getting at with the speed work is pushing my anerobic threshold, which will hopefully carry over nicely when I'm pushing through any kind of endurance activity that goes for 90 minutes or more. I'm incorporating trail running now and that's a lot of fun. Not anything I'd be timing in preparation for a road course, but they are great courses to run to really work your quads and connective tissue.
I havent stepped into the airbnb world yet. In weird about stuff like that.

The speed work would defiantly help, but being so close, I wouldnt sacrifice mileage. I read a runners world article a few weeks ago that suggested sprint once a week along with a "tempo" run once a week. Sprints are the only thing I use my treadmill for. Otherwise, I hate running on it.
Ive gotten into trail running a bit. The ultra I did in jan was a trail run and did a 25k 2 weeks ago. Its funny, alot different than the road thats for sure.

I've got to get some new trail shoes with medial+arch support for my flat feet. My feet and knees were killing after I ran at Concord in my Salomons last week.

Anyone have recommendations for good insoles, arch, and heel supporters? A lot of this pavement in Knoxville is not properly maintained, and my heels in particular have really been getting sore lately.

Anyone have recommendations for good insoles, arch, and heel supporters? A lot of this pavement in Knoxville is not properly maintained, and my heels in particular have really been getting sore lately.
Superfeet, best there is with out a doubt

I have superfeet insoles for a couple pairs of dress shoes. Do they make a model specifically designed for running?

They do. They make lots of different ones. Like shoes, you should go get specifically fit for insoles. I've always had shoes fit for me and then never needed specific insoles so I don't know how the specific different ones work.

I have superfeet insoles for a couple pairs of dress shoes. Do they make a model specifically designed for running?
Yes, they come in several different design and their color signifies the support. They come in blue, green, black etc. Not sure the differences in them all. I buy mine at fleet feet. They run about 50 but will last through 2 pairs of shoes.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
I ended up going with Softsole inserts, and I'm very happy with the results. First thing that was immediately noticeable was that the pain in my heel and arch is gone. I ran two 5 mile splits yesterday, and I knocked a minute off the pace for my first split, and 2.5 minutes off of my second split. It's incredible to think how much I had subconsciously changed my stride and even walking to compensate for the pain in my feet. If lodging wasn't insane this weekend, I'd like to have gone to Nashville to run the full or half marathon this weekend.

Reactions: volfanbill

VN Store

Back