Jim Chaney

Question -- Does Chaney ever use the spread option ? With another bad OL it might be a good idea to incorporate it into the playbook

I wouldn't count on it, looks like we are going to continue to need our tight ends to block, we are going to need everyone possible to block.

If they could deter a single defensive player from going where he wanted to go for at least one second that would be a solid improvement IMO. Our TE play for the past few years, including last one aided the defense more than they deterred it IMO. If they just got in front of somebody and got slapped around that would be a solid improvement. If they actually initiated contact AND laid a lick on a defensive player that would be an improvement that would take warp drive to achieve is my view as it is so far from where they have been.

Is Coach Chaney considered a good running-game coach? I remember when he was here and at Arkansas, his teams mostly slung the ball around a lot. And at Georgia, they had a solid running game, but a very impressive passing game (perhaps which was available due to a good running game). That said, does he have a history of being a good running-game coach? I'd like to see Chandler and Jordan's full potential met.

Does he have an "open the running game up through good passing game" approach, or is it more of the traditional open up the passing game by running the ball?

His offense

Run Pass
157 226 2009 TN
109 254 2010
90 243 2011
160 315 2012
209. 149. 2013 ARK
208 188 2014
187 191 2015 Pitt
192 193 2016 GA
258 177 2017
239 227 2018

Seems he goes with what he’s got, but prefers to run the ball........when he has the players to do it.

Reactions: FïreBall
Question -- Does Chaney ever use the spread option ? With another bad OL it might be a good idea to incorporate it into the playbook

Some may not want to hear it but Chaney and Tiller (OC & HC at Purdue) somewhat pioneered the spread at the power 5 level. So yes he certainly has used it. However theirs was a pass first spread or pass more Often spread.

And yeah you're right. Man did we waste AK's talents when he was here.

I actually quoted your post to disagree, however AK could have won the Heisman. although I don't know we wasted it as much as we didn't maximize it. That's the story of CBJ though.

I choose to look at it like we didn't wear his body out here so he can have a long career making money.

I actually quoted your post to disagree, however AK could have won the Heisman. although I don't know we wasted it as much as we didn't maximize it. That's the story of CBJ though.

I choose to look at it like we didn't wear his body out here so he can have a long career making money.

The problem was Butch Jones' idiotic philosophy of using a power running back (Hurd) in a spread offense that perfectly fits Kamara's skill set.

Kamara broke the single game all purpose yardage record at UT and was sat on the bench the next game. Just illogical coaching decisions.

Butch Jones was clueless. Butch Jones is the same guy that recruited / started slow pocket passing QBs (Dormady, Worley) for a spread offense that runs a ton of read-option looks.

Unrelated: I'd like to apologize for the immature silly comments I made about Chaney's weight in the Spring Game thread. I'm very happy to have Coach Chaney back in Knoxville, and should have kept my stupid comments to myself.

Go Vols!
Thanks VolforFootball for taking that bullet for many of us, who feel the same way. I mean. it's not like Coach Chaney is not around a track, fitness center, strength coaches, weights, treadmills, nutritionists, etc., right??

Reactions: VolforFootball
My biggest critique of Chaney when he was here before was not that he did not produce good running games it was that he would forget about the run or give up on it too early. I saw several games where he would call a couple of runs that would get stuffed and decide the run wasn't working and not come back too it until it was too late. I also saw several games where the run was working really well and he would completely get away from it until it was too late.

My biggest critique of Chaney when he was here before was not that he did not produce good running games it was that he would forget about the run or give up on it too early. I saw several games where he would call a couple of runs that would get stuffed and decide the run wasn't working and not come back too it until it was too late. I also saw several games where the run was working really well and he would completely get away from it until it was too late.
Passing tunnel vision? Same tag I applied during his previous stint. Believe it cost us a few games. Especially that Mississippi State game in 2012. Seems to have overcome that from Arkansas on. Was James Conner on his watch at Pitt? At UGA, I honestly believe he made Sony Michel a viable NFL RB...as well as facilitating Chubb’s return. Still saw hints of going pass crazy...but he had Fromm and some serious receiving talent to keep happy.

Listen; to me it is worse to make a statement, then go on the apology tour. The truth is the truth and in JC's case; he is front and center and hard to ignore. Unless he has unknown issues that contribute to his obesity; (And that IS his issue) He needs to go to an Obesity Facility and get fixed. That extra weight is going to take years off his life. If we call people out for Smoking and other such detrimental health habits; shouldn't we address overeating? We are all charged with the responsibility of taking care of our bodies. My position is not so much to Criticize JC, but to question why he doesn't address it; an otherwise intelligent Man with the resources to fix it. Fire away.

I don’t give a rats ass if he eats a pone of cornbread and washes it down with a gallon of buttermilk every night, it’s his business. If I had to go home every night and worry about our OL weight watchers would be the last thing on my mind. Parcels and Fulmer didn’t push their
Chair back from the table and they are still doing just fine. If ole Jimbo helps us put points on the board I will be glad to get my wife fix him a big bowl of banana pudding.

His offense

Run Pass
157 226 2009 TN
109 254 2010
90 243 2011
160 315 2012
209. 149. 2013 ARK
208 188 2014
187 191 2015 Pitt
192 193 2016 GA
258 177 2017
239 227 2018

Seems he goes with what he’s got, but prefers to run the ball........when he has the players to do it.

Effectively running the ball wins games so if you can do it and pick up the yards you can manage games and wear down the D. It’s a very effective strategy that keeps your defense fresh.

Effectively running the ball wins games so if you can do it and pick up the yards you can manage games and wear down the D. It’s a very effective strategy that keeps your defense fresh.

Yea

Bama has been and now GA is because they can run the ball..........well a good D helps too.

Chaney’s 1994 Wyoming team ran for 175 per, his 95 team ran for 182, and his 96 team ran for 140 per, Chaney’s 1997 Purdue team ran for 174 per, 98 - 2001 all over 100, his 2002 team was over 200

The only time his teams didn’t average over 100 yards rushing per game was the 2011 Tennessee team. Heck only 3 season out of his past 25 have his teams failed to average at least 130 per.

I’de say if Tennessee wants to run the ball, Chaney is the one to have coaching O.

Last time he was here we finished 9th, last, last, 5th in rush per carry in the league...

It's just nice to know if he tries something and it doesn't work he won't spend the next 3 quarters doing the same thing. Based on the personal this year I predict a lot of roll out quick passes with enough run to keep a defense honest and use the play action for deep balls.
1970s offense booom

Would hope he'd use some spread runs. Using more blockers in the run game is no bueno, especially when they are this bad. Just asking for missed blocks and negative plays. Get the d out of the box. Minimize blockers. Run in space.

This myth has been largely debunked by modern data mining and statistics. But yes effective running is certainly helpful in situational football.

Some may not want to hear it but Chaney and Tiller (OC & HC at Purdue) somewhat pioneered the spread at the power 5 level. So yes he certainly has used it. However theirs was a pass first spread or pass more Often spread.

Those were his best offenses too ironically, especially relative to talent. Don't get why he's going backwards while everyone else is going spread...even bama, michigan, etc.

Those were his best offenses too ironically, especially relative to talent. Don't get why he's going backwards while everyone else is going spread...even bama, michigan, etc.

Dunno if he is necessarily going backwards. In the SEC you have to be multiple. Just because we didn’t see it in the Spring game doesn’t mean it isn’t in the playbook.

With all the option routes and everything that JG was talking about I would assume we will be in the spread more often then not.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I don’t give a rats ass if he eats a pone of cornbread and washes it down with a gallon of buttermilk every night, it’s his business. If I had to go home every night and worry about our OL weight watchers would be the last thing on my mind. Parcels and Fulmer didn’t push their
Chair back from the table and they are still doing just fine. If ole Jimbo helps us put points on the board I will be glad to get my wife fix him a big bowl of banana pudding.

Right. With no concern for his health & well being. I stand by my comments.

The thing that makes Chaney a really good OC is that he optimizes his best assets. My bet is that they are still in the process of determining just what those are. If UT gets all of its OL's in place and suddenly realizes they can push people around then they'll have a run focused O and compliment it with passes designed to open run lanes. If JG develops his decision making and the OL gets better at pass pro then it could be a pass oriented O with a complimentary run game.

I've never seen a truly "balanced" offense. One is always used more to set the other up. I'm not talking about statistical results but the strategy.... which one dictates what you do in the other.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back