The Atlanta Braves Thread

A guy in my league wants Sale I think. I’d imagine these guys are on the table:

Thor
Marquez
Glasnow
Archer
Taillon

Who would y’all do it for? Preferably down the line. I’d imagine Thor for sure but not sure if he’d do that.
Thor or some kind of combo with two of those. Marquez I wouldn’t touch because of half his games at Coors but that just me. It would take at least 2 of them if Thor isn’t involved though.

He’s had like 52 big league starts. He is what he is
He's frustrating as hell, but that kind of thinking would've landed John Smoltz in middle relief. You never know when the light is going to come on for a guy like that.

He's frustrating as hell, but that kind of thinking would've landed John Smoltz in middle relief. You never know when the light is going to come on for a guy like that.
While you’re right- for every Smoltz, there are 200 Manny Bañuelos out there

I wanna go on record as still being IN ON NEWK
If he hasn't figured it out by this point, I question if he ever will. Remember, he was projected as a near-top of the rotation guy. He's not that, and for most of his MLB career so far (276.1 innings) he isn't even worthy of a roster spot. 26 years old. He's just so freaking hittable (8.2 H/9) plus walks a bunch of guys (4.8 BB/9).

He's just one in a long list of pitchers we acquired during the rebuild that aren't as good as advertised. The position players we got are, the pitching isn't.

Reactions: AV_12
If he hasn't figured it out by this point, I question if he ever will. Remember, he was projected as a near-top of the rotation guy. He's not that, and for most of his MLB career so far (276.1 innings) he isn't even worthy of a roster spot. 26 years old. He's just so freaking hittable (8.2 H/9) plus walks a bunch of guys (4.8 BB/9).

He's just one in a long list of pitchers we acquired during the rebuild that aren't as good as advertised. The position players we got are, the pitching isn't.
Exactly that’s whats alarming. He’s wild, and when he does throw strikes he gets hit and hit hard

Reactions: 05_never_again
Exactly that’s whats alarming. He’s wild, and when he does throw strikes he gets hit and hit hard
He still hasn't figured out that curveball. He throws it like a guy still in college or rookie ball or something, as if he's just learned the pitch and is trying to figure it out.

He either can't locate it at all and has no idea where it's going, or he knows he can't locate it within the zone it's going to get jacked. It's just a complete junk pitch for him for this point - he isn't even effectively wild with it.

He’s had like 52 big league starts. He is what he is
He was on the verge of being an all star last season. Faded down the stretch, but he has some skill. And still has some time to figure it out. He had a career ERA under 4 before the other night’s start. Not horrible.

Reactions: TBrown
Smoltz had it "figured out" by 26 though. I mean, he was an All-Star in just his 2nd full season as a big leaguer at age 22.
...and 2 years later he started 2-10 and had a sports psychologist sitting in the first row. You're right about his age, but I just remember guys like Glavine, Smoltz and Avery going through this too.

...and 2 years later he started 2-10 and had a sports psychologist sitting in the first row. You're right about his age, but I just remember guys like Glavine, Smoltz and Avery going through this too.
But Smoltz had at least flashed something though, right? And even though Smoltz was struggling his numbers were better than Newcomb's have been. Newcomb has shown nothing as a Major Leaguer.

If Newcomb had shown something early, then faded, I'd be right there with you that he might end up being as good as we thought. That isn't what happened though.

But Smoltz had at least flashed something though, right? And even though Smoltz was struggling his numbers were better than Newcomb's have been. Newcomb has shown nothing as a Major Leaguer.

If Newcomb had shown something early, then faded, I'd be right there with you that he might end up being as good as we thought. That isn't what happened though.
He was a borderline All Star last year though. You may end up being completely right, but I think it's a little early to write him off.

He was strike away from no hitting the dodgers last season...isn't that something?

He was strike away from no hitting the dodgers last season...isn't that something?
I mean, he had a great outing that particular day, yes. I don't make judgments about if a guy's career is going to live up to its billing based on a single game though. Philip Humber threw a perfect game once. By "show something" I meant show some consistency over a full season, or something close to it. Being a near All-Star for half a year but generally getting rocked in your other appearances just isn't impressive for a guy with his billing.

He's made 52 starts in his career, many of which haven't been good at all.

The single most concerning thing about him is that the control problems were there in the minors too. His minors walk rate is the exact same as his MLB walk rate. Nearly 5 per 9 innings across all levels. When you're giving 5 free passes per 9 innings, it just seems impossible for him to be effective, especially given how hard he gets hit. Newcomb could have a Sale-like K rate and he still wouldn't be all that great.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back