Jim Chaney

VolforFootball

I like pizza
Is Coach Chaney considered a good running-game coach? I remember when he was here and at Arkansas, his teams mostly slung the ball around a lot. And at Georgia, they had a solid running game, but a very impressive passing game (perhaps which was available due to a good running game). That said, does he have a history of being a good running-game coach? I'd like to see Chandler and Jordan's full potential met.

Does he have an "open the running game up through good passing game" approach, or is it more of the traditional open up the passing game by running the ball?

What I remember loving about Chaney was he was flexible to the personal. He called what his team was best at and seemed comfortable enough calling that way to the point I couldn't tell you which he prefers.

So basically, he adapts and plays to his players strengths. That's what I like about good coaches.

Yes, he is an excellent run game OC. Recall when he was at Arky and UGA. Unfortunately, he has nowhere near the same talent to deal with that he had at Georgia. Offense is gonna be really bad again

Unrelated: I'd like to apologize for the immature silly comments I made about Chaney's weight in the Spring Game thread. I'm very happy to have Coach Chaney back in Knoxville, and should have kept my stupid comments to myself.

Go Vols!

You ain't wrong. Your delivery was a little rough though.

I've thought he was the best OC in the conference for awhile. When we first got him I was always saying " if Fulmer got him instead of Clawson he would still be coaching." Imagine what he could have done with Hurd and AK. Man, I hope he's here for a long time.

Unrelated: I'd like to apologize for the immature silly comments I made about Chaney's weight in the Spring Game thread. I'm very happy to have Coach Chaney back in Knoxville, and should have kept my stupid comments to myself.

Go Vols!
He carries it well. Tee may catch up with him.

You ain't wrong. Your delivery was a little rough though.

I've thought he was the best OC in the conference for awhile. When we first got him I was always saying " if Fulmer got him instead of Clawson he would still be coaching." Imagine what he could have done with Hurd and AK. Man, I hope he's here for a long time.

Yeah I probably shouldn't quit my day job and try life as a comedian unless I want to be broke.

Yes, he is an excellent run game OC. Recall when he was at Arky and UGA. Unfortunately, he has nowhere near the same talent to deal with that he had at Georgia. Offense is gonna be really bad again

You may be right, but I don't think so.

Reactions: VolforFootball
It's just nice to know if he tries something and it doesn't work he won't spend the next 3 quarters doing the same thing. Based on the personal this year I predict a lot of roll out quick passes with enough run to keep a defense honest and use the play action for deep balls.

I have to agree with KB, our talent isn't quite there from top to bottom. Sure, we have some talented guys. Just not all over.
Our “best” players are nowhere near/among the best players in the conference. JJ is by far our most dynamic offensive player imo, but he’s likely not among the 10-12 best WRs in the SEC. Chandler can occasionally be dynamic, has excellent speed, but he won’t be among the best SEC RBs. Obviously, we won’t have a single OL among the top 25-30 OLs in the conference.

The ONLY defensive players that have a chance to show up on an All-SEC honorable mention team are Alontae and Bryce imo.

I don’t think Pruitt did a very good job last year, he was pretty average at best....but the more I see the team play, they more I watch the individual players, I’m struck with just how few legit SEC players he had/has in the program. It’s really bad.

Last edited:
Our “best” players are nowhere near/among the best players in the conference. JJ is by far our most dynamic offensive player imo, but he’s likely among the 10-12 best WRs in the SEC. Chandler can occasionally be dynamic, has excellent speed, but he won’t be among the best SEC RBs. Obviously, we won’t have a single OL among the top 25-30 OLs in the conference.

The ONLY defensive players that have a chance to show up on an All-SEC honorable mention team are Alontae and Bryce imo.

I don’t think Pruitt did a very good job last year, he was pretty average at best....but the more I see the team play, they more I watch the individual players, I’m struck with just how few legit SEC players he had/has in the program. It’s really bad.

If he has very few legit SEC players, he may have done as good a job as possible last year.

When we actually get really good again....I’ll bet you are the biggest suck up in history. Then again, we could go 15-0 and you’d birch about it.

Our “best” players are nowhere near/among the best players in the conference. JJ is by far our most dynamic offensive player imo, but he’s likely among the 10-12 best WRs in the SEC. Chandler can occasionally be dynamic, has excellent speed, but he won’t be among the best SEC RBs. Obviously, we won’t have a single OL among the top 25-30 OLs in the conference.

As if you know what you’re looking at anyway....

If he has very few legit SEC players, he may have done as good a job as possible last year.
Team never got better, didn’t improve throughout the year, that’s why I say he didn’t do a particularly good job last year. Obviously, he had (and now has) very few legit SEC players in the roster that he can win at a high level with. The 2020 recruiting class has to be among the very best in the country imo.

Reactions: vettefool
As if you know what you’re looking at anyway....
I absolutely do. Doesn’t take a genius to see it. We just have very few, if any, stud SEC players needed to compete in this conference. And although we added a handful of very good young players in the last class (Crouch, Wright, Morris, McCullough), we’re still far behind the number of legit SEC players needed to win. Would’ve thought the brutal physical beatdowns at the hands of Missouri and lowly Vandy to end last season would’ve made that self-evident.

Reactions: vettefool
It's just nice to know if he tries something and it doesn't work he won't spend the next 3 quarters doing the same thing. Based on the personal this year I predict a lot of roll out quick passes with enough run to keep a defense honest and use the play action for deep balls.
Yup, and hopefully involve the tight ends more.

Yup, and hopefully involve the tight ends more.
This. Please dear God I pray to all that’s holy that we see our tight ends catch 40-50 balls this year. Our WRS (God bless em, especially JJ) are average and utilizing our tight ends and making them an integral part of the passing game will make it so much more efficient and effective imho.

Our “best” players are nowhere near/among the best players in the conference. JJ is by far our most dynamic offensive player imo, but he’s likely not among the 10-12 best WRs in the SEC. Chandler can occasionally be dynamic, has excellent speed, but he won’t be among the best SEC RBs. Obviously, we won’t have a single OL among the top 25-30 OLs in the conference.

It’s pretty bad. We’re slow and undersized even after another year in S&C. Roster needs a lot of turnover even Fulmer mentioned it.

Reactions: feathersax

VN Store

Back