Tennessee spring practice updates 4.11.19

Fingers

Rocker was furious with Nigel Warrior after a poor rep but was complimentary of Alontae Taylor. Daniel Bituli and Warren Burrell had nice reps, too. Meanwhile, Sherrer got mad at Kivon Bennett for being too lax during the strip-sack drill.

It’s clear to see why Rocker likes Matthew Butler. Whether it was during the strip-sack drill or individual, the junior gives full effort on every rep. Butler doesn’t look as stiff as last season. He’s seeing work all across the line, too, lining up some with the 1s at nose today.

Wanya Morris was back at left tackle with Jahmir Johnson at left guard. Riley Locklear also saw work at left guard. Nathan Niehaus, normally at right tackle, was the No. 2 left tackle today. The redshirt junior is clearly battling some injuries but he fights for every rep.

Cedric Tillman had a really athletic grab on one high throw from JT Shrout, while Jordan Murphy snagged a touchdown one-handed. Jim Chaney spent much of the period talking to Jarrett Guarantano about ball placement after each rep.

Finally, no sign of JJ Peterson again on Thursday.
-Simonton

Wanya Morris worked at left tackle, Jahmir Johnson at left guard, Ryan Johnson at center, K’Rojhn Calbert at right guard, and Marcus Tatum at right tackle. As for the second team unit, from left to right, it was Nathan Niehaus, Chris Akporoghene, Jerome Carvin, Riley Locklear, and Trey Smith.

Jarrett Guarantano looked the best out of the quarterbacks, as expected. JT Shrout and Brian Maurer made some nice throws, but at times they both struggled to keep the football in bounds.

Senior cornerback Baylen Buchanan was once again limited as he has been pretty much all spring.
-B. McKee

Freshman Akporoghene drew some praise from Friend after one good rep.

Freshman linebacker Quavaris Crouch appears likely to exit spring much in the way he entered it as very much a work in progress on the defensive side of the ball.

Crouch looks the part physically, but he doesn't move quite as fluidly as the other players at his position, either because he's still thinking too much play somewhat of an unfamiliar position or due to change-of-direction limitations.

Wide receiver Jauan Jennings again joined the quarterbacks and running backs for their work on handoffs, mesh points and tosses and took some direct snaps, much like he did earlier in the week.
-P. Brown

Last edited:
2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th by the time I type this.
Edit: 3rd and thank you, I always look forward to these reports. Oops 2nd!

Last edited:
It’s clear to see why Rocker likes Matthew Butler. Whether it was during the strip-sack drill or individual, the junior gives full effort on every rep. Butler doesn’t look as stiff as last season. He’s seeing work all across the line, too, lining up some with the 1s at nose today.

Butler is catching Rocker's attention, from a recent 247 article:
Tracy Rocker identifies spring standout for Tennessee's D-line

Butler's potential was evident back to 2017 when he arrived. From a 2017 article from the now-defunct SEC Country:
The 6-foot-4, 270-pound Butler is doing it because he wants to be the best. At everything.

"If he misses a rep, he comes back and gets it, or if he misses a run time, he comes back and does an extra one", said Gullickson, who prior to his January arrival at Tennessee was a 17-year veteran of the NFL strength coach ranks. "He's physically gifted, and he's going to be one of our very best in the weight room over time."

"I want to earn my academic patch by the end of summer, the Vol Scholar patch, I plan to get A's in all my classes", Butler said. "I want to be a freshman All-American, I want to make the All-SEC team my freshmen year, and I want to get some sacks. I think 8 is realistic, 10 is what I'm going for."

I tell Derek [Barnett] every day "you set the standard in the D-line room and I'm living up to that standard," Butler said. "He knows I'm different than the next guy, and that's what I'm trying to prove."

Butler said he wants to win a starting job at Tennessee, which is a bit far-fetched considering the Vols have Darrell Taylor and Jonathon Kongbo projected at defensive end, and Kahlil McKenzie and Kendal Vickers at defensive tackle.

Winning time in the playing rotation, however, is likely provided Butler can continue to persevere.

"I want to beat Alabama, I want to go undefeated in the SEC, I want to make it to the SEC championship," Butler said. "To do that we have to listen to our coaches, we have to stay in the weight room, we have to stay disciplined, we have to take care of our grades so it's not in the back of our heads, we've got to eat right, all kinds of stuff."

Wonder if they think they might need to use Jennings at qb if Jarrett goes down. He's thrown more college passes than shrout or Maurer anyway lol.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Hhhmmm Crouch struggling ... hey where are all those frosh AA supporters that say he starts from day 1 .. that commented how stupid I was to make comments on how he is a 2nd year contributor once he learns the position ... huh .. where are ya ..

We all know how VN builds up someone in their collective mind only to tear them down when they aren’t the next Reggie White or Al Wilson.

It’s part of the learning process and expected for a kid that should be in high school. Crouch is probably just the rule and not the exception.

Reactions: VolinMC

VN Store

Back