Kim English finalizing deal to join Vols staff

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Sounds like a young coach with tons of potential...

"In May 2018, the National Association of Basketball Coaches named English as a 2017-18 Under Armour 30-under-30 honoree, which recognizes a group of up and coming young coaches in men's college basketball."

Hot take.

The program and HC are way more important in recruiting. Assistant coaches in hoops ability to recruit is overstated
Ehh, I think it has been well-established that Barnes is more of a closer than a beat down the bushes type of recruiter. This was a hot topic of debate when D. Oliver was quoted as saying, “He has earned that right.”

To be clear, I don’t believe the Barnes is too busy hitting the links, relaxing in his la-z-boy, coasting jargon that some perpetuated, but I do think he has left a lot of the legwork up to his assistants in recruiting. And to an extent, as Oliver said, he’s earned that.

Ehh, I think it has been well-established that Barnes is more of a closer than a beat down the bushes type of recruiter. This was a hot topic of debate when D. Oliver was quoted as saying, “He has earned that right.”

To be clear, I don’t believe the Barnes is too busy hitting the links, relaxing in his la-z-boy, coasting jargon that some perpetuated, but I do think he has left a lot of the legwork up to his assistants in recruiting. And to an extent, as Oliver said, he’s earned that.

He needs to be more of an evaluator than recruiter imo. Find them, get the foot in the door and let the program and Barnes close the deal.

The scoop on Kim English

English_Kim_Assistant_Coach.jpg

Kim English, Jr. (born September 24, 1988) is an American former professional basketball player and current assistant basketball coach for the University of Colorado. He played college basketball for the University of Missouri before being selected by the Detroit Pistons with the 44th overall pick in the 2012 NBA draft.

On May 17, 2015, English was hired by Frank Haith to become an assistant basketball coach for the University of Tulsa.[25]

On August 11, 2017, English was hired by Tad Boyle as an assistant coach for Colorado, replacing Jean Prioleau, who became the new head coach at San Jose State.

Colorado head coach Tad Boyle, who coached the Buffaloes in two games against English’s Tigers in 2011, developed a connection with his newest assistant on the recruiting trail. Boyle was impressed by English, which was further verified by his network of coaches.

“No. 1 he’s very professional,” Boyle said. “He carries himself extremely well. The more homework I did on him, everyone that has come into contact with him – from players to those in his early coaching career -- have had nothing but glowing remarks. He really vetted well with people that I know and respect in this business.”

English describes himself as an “every-day, even-keel guy.” He has four words for all of his student-athletes: play hard, act right.

Hot take.

The program and HC are way more important in recruiting. Assistant coaches in hoops ability to recruit is overstated
His biggest recruiting job is identifying and evaluating players for Rick and getting his foot in the door. English was known as a gritty player so I think he’ll prove himself well in that role.

Ziti...if you're out there lurking...any thoughts on this?? Just curious.

VN Store

Back