Kellie Jolly Harper Salary package

In spite of what the resident women haters club trolling network has pushed as its agenda KJJH was a commodity we had to compete for to hire. She was linked to numerous other Power 5 job openings and this was her market value. In truth she wanted this job and once she showed interest dominoes started to fall while other schools waited to see if UT was going in a different direction other than KJJH. I was surprised Fortner was not lobbying for this job and I know I would rather have Harper. Her market value might have been a little lower IMO but then again she was the hot up and comer .

Did it really take 725k to lure her back to her alma mater in spite of her lack of success as this level?
Part of the reason for the salary is wanting to upgrade the position and keep it competitive with other SEC and P5 schools. Which I'm happy they did. Apparently AD ran into some pretty widespread lack of interest in the job during this search and upgrading the salary will help with that next time around.

Fulmer gave himself some room in case she succeeds he can up the salary in the next couple of years. She was only making 250 k so this triples her salary. I figure her husband gets one of the Assistant job probably around 200 k which is way more than the 89 k he was making at Mo State. The other two Assistants were about the same except the younger one was only making like 69 k. Stiles is a candidate for the Mo State head coaching job expect she may get it.

Reactions: sccshortstop
Part of the reason for the salary is wanting to upgrade the position and keep it competitive with other SEC and P5 schools. Which I'm happy they did. Apparently AD ran into some pretty widespread lack of interest in the job during this search and upgrading the salary will help with that next time around.
I think Phil had his mind on hiring KJH for the Tennessee women's head basketball coaching job from the minute Holly Warlick was canned.

Reactions: tbwhhs
Fulmer gave himself some room in case she succeeds he can up the salary in the next couple of years. She was only making 250 k so this triples her salary. I figure her husband gets one of the Assistant job probably around 200 k which is way more than the 89 k he was making at Mo State. The other two Assistants were about the same except the younger one was only making like 69 k. Stiles is a candidate for the Mo State head coaching job expect she may get it.
I don't think Tennessee law allows Kellie's husband to be on her coaching staff...………………………….just sayin';)

I don't think Tennessee law allows Kellie's husband to be on her coaching staff...………………………….just sayin';)
You can get around that law just like the Weekly's get around it in softball. They will not supervise each other each will be supervised by AD Fulmer. He could decide not to work but he has been on her coaching staff ever since they got married in 1999 every place she has been.

I think Phil had his mind on hiring KJH for the Tennessee women's head basketball coaching job from the minute Holly Warlick was canned.
I think KJH was there from the start, mutual interest was noted, but apparently they really did keep looking. Found interest pretty low, Walz interested but too expensive and too shady, All other star coaches, Moore and GG declined, Lawson never interested, went after the Oregon coaches and probably had enough money for them but neither wanted to move. At this point probably into the second tier, and there was KJH making a tourney run. Alternatives were apparently Fargis and Amanda Butler, both of whom have records even scarier than that of KJH.

Last edited:
The pay level makes sense. Top program, and the risk to Harper's career is moderate considering the spotlight on the position. She either succeeds or will suffer a knock on her career that won't be easily talked away. 3.75 million guarantees she'll be secure for life regardless of the outcome.

I have no problem w that, but it’s not like we were wanting for candidates whose resume was more commensurate of the salary

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I have no problem w that, but it’s not like we were wanting for candidates whose resume was more commensurate of the salary
My understanding is it was exactly like we were wanting for candidates whose resume was commensurate of any salary.

Reactions: VolNExile
In spite of what the resident women haters club trolling network has pushed as its agenda KJJH was a commodity we had to compete for to hire. She was linked to numerous other Power 5 job openings and this was her market value. In truth she wanted this job and once she showed interest dominoes started to fall while other schools waited to see if UT was going in a different direction other than KJJH. I was surprised Fortner was not lobbying for this job and I know I would rather have Harper. Her market value might have been a little lower IMO but then again she was the hot up and comer .

Makes sense. Nice post and nice points. Fortner likely did not want anything to do with the UT job as she and Holly are close personal friends. She abstained from saying anything negative about Holly on air, which was tough this season. I do admire her loyalty to her friend though.

Reactions: WVU05UT09
My understanding is it was exactly like we were wanting for candidates whose resume was commensurate of any salary.
Even though we had a candidate who makes barely over half that and has a better resume?

I think KJH was there from the start, mutual interest was noted, but apparently they really did keep looking. Found interest pretty low, Walz interested but too expensive and too shady, All other star coaches, Moore and GG declined, Lawson never interested, went after the Oregon coaches and probably had enough money for them but neither wanted to move. At this point probably into the second tier, and there was KJH making a tourney run. Alternatives were apparently Fargis and Amanda Butler, both of whom have records even scarier than that of KJH.
The were not going to Nickie because her salary we would have to get above hers now which would put her second in the SEC. Butler was only a last resort and no one ever mentioned Ivey but I am ok with that. Also Mitchell and Schaaffers agents said they were not interested as well!

If KJH has good success in her first three years, you can rest assured she will get a contract extension with a big bump.

She has to prove herself and then she is set to join the million a year club.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
The were not going to Nickie because her salary we would have to get above hers now which would put her second in the SEC. Butler was only a last resort and no one ever mentioned Ivey but I am ok with that. Also Mitchell and Schaaffers agents said they were not interested as well!
According to Deer Park, it pretty much ended up btw Harper, Fargis and Butler. Fargis and Harper about equal risks, Harper had the tourney run plus Fargis salary too high as you said, Butler obviously loses out to both former LVs. Not sure what happened to Ivey, maybe she was among the not interested. DP said they actually had twice what they're paying Harper, about 1.5 M, to offer, but obviously had to be careful with it.

I guess my biggest disappointment is that amount, 1,5 should have been enough to shake loose an up and comer to elite status like one of the Oregon guys. But none were interested.

The LV program was a similar situation to the football program when Butch got fired... Former top-10 program, high fan expectations, relatively medium-sized budget, and coming off a bad season. Top coaches weren't going to leave a good situation to jump into a hornets nest. Wenz was the only realistic top-tier candidate, but too expensive. Fulmer chose wisely, Kelly checked every box except elite status and winning percentage, but her last five years were better than her first five. This is her dream job, I hope she gets there.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
The were not going to Nickie because her salary we would have to get above hers now which would put her second in the SEC.

Fargas is far from 2nd in SEC.

Mississippi State - Vic Schaefer $1.596 million
South Carolina - Dawn Staley $1.45 million
Kentucky - Matt Mitchell $1.3 million
Texas A&M- Gary Blair $1 million
Georgia -Joni Taylor $750,000
LSU - Nikki Fargas $700,000 Rabalais: Nikki Fargas will get her three more years, but it's what she does with them that counts

Last edited:

VN Store

Back