UCLA hires Mick Cronin

I'd actually say it's pretty good for UCLA. Cronin is a good coach, about as good as one can expect to change jobs willingly. Been to a bunch of NCAAs. Often in the top 25. Assisted some legends. Fairly young as coaches go. He should do well at UCLA.

UCLA missed out on many coaches before hiring Cronin
UCLA fired Steve Alford on Dec. 31, so it had a head-start in the hiring process. The school set its sights high, but came up short in its pursuit of a bevy of upper echelon candidates.
Among the coaches pursued by UCLA were Kentucky’s John Calipari, Virginia’s Tony Bennett, TCU’s Jamie Dixon and Tennessee’s Rick Barnes.
Calipari leveraged the interest from UCLA into a “lifetime” contract at Kentucky. Bennett, who coached the Cavs to a national title on Monday night, was not interested. Dixon and UCLA reportedly hit a snag over UCLA’s reluctance to pay the $8 million buyout to separate Dixon from his contract at TCU. Barnes, after mulling the decision for a few days, turned down UCLA Monday night in order to stay at Tennessee.
The floundering search reflected the reality of UCLA’s fall from the top of college basketball. Now Cronin will be tasked with bringing the Bruins back up the ladder.

I gotta say...after what they put us through, I hope Cronin doesn't 'bring them back up the ladder.'

Cronin is a heck of a coach. Will probably be spun as they "settled" for him (and the coaches they tried to get ahead of him were definitely higher profile, except maybe Dixon), but the dude can coach.

Cronin is a heck of a coach. Will probably be spun as they "settled" for him (and the coaches they tried to get ahead of him were definitely higher profile, except maybe Dixon), but the dude can coach.
Ah, I would not necessarily agree.

Reactions: Stoked
UCLA missed out on many coaches before hiring Cronin
UCLA fired Steve Alford on Dec. 31, so it had a head-start in the hiring process. The school set its sights high, but came up short in its pursuit of a bevy of upper echelon candidates.
Among the coaches pursued by UCLA were Kentucky’s John Calipari, Virginia’s Tony Bennett, TCU’s Jamie Dixon and Tennessee’s Rick Barnes.
Calipari leveraged the interest from UCLA into a “lifetime” contract at Kentucky. Bennett, who coached the Cavs to a national title on Monday night, was not interested. Dixon and UCLA reportedly hit a snag over UCLA’s reluctance to pay the $8 million buyout to separate Dixon from his contract at TCU. Barnes, after mulling the decision for a few days, turned down UCLA Monday night in order to stay at Tennessee.
The floundering search reflected the reality of UCLA’s fall from the top of college basketball. Now Cronin will be tasked with bringing the Bruins back up the ladder.

I gotta say...after what they put us through, I hope Cronin doesn't 'bring them back up the ladder.'

Honestly, I would have felt a little bad for the fans having to endure that long process, but not going through channels to get permission to speak with Barnes was inappropriate. Can't wish 'em success after that move.

Reactions: cardvolfan
How did they fall so far so fast?

You’d think being UCLA they wouldn’t have to sell very much.

Cronin is a solid coach. He will probably do very well at UCLA. The last few big name coaches they have hired have flopped.

if they'd of hired him from the jump, it'd probably get the "good hire" nod from most. but that it's the result of getting turned down at every stop, it's going to have shade thrown at it.

it's not a bad hire. it's just not as good as they thought they'd get. will depend on how patient they are. he's a solid coach.

Well, for his own sake I hope he's better in the tournament at UCLA than he's been at Cincy. 6-9 in tournament games.

He's nowhere near as big of a name as they thought they would/could get.

Reactions: TrentVol
With all that population out there I was surprised to see how little their home court is - 12,800.

With all that population out there I was surprised to see how little their home court is - 12,800.
Hard to sell out a big arena when it’s LA and there’s a million things to do and teams to watch. That’d be my guess for why they haven’t expanded

Reactions: TrentVol
I'd actually say it's pretty good for UCLA. Cronin is a good coach, about as good as one can expect to change jobs willingly. Been to a bunch of NCAAs. Often in the top 25. Assisted some legends. Fairly young as coaches go. He should do well at UCLA.
I think he's been in 9 in a row, but his best was one time Sweet 16...lots of one and done.

VN Store

Back