Impact of the Decision and New Contract

UT Vols men's basketball program now has its big boy pants firmly cinched down with a belt. And suspenders. Thank you Coach Fulmer. Excited for the future.

With CRB staying, he clearly got a better contract. He also had to have gotten a bigger salary pool for his assistants. We now have a coach of the year who wants to be here over a blue blood school, and the media was pubbing him up a bit throughout this process, some calling it a great hire for UCLA if it came to fruition.

WIll this improve our overall coaching staff and does it matter if we do?
Will this improve recruiting?
Or will everything remain status quo?

I believe that if Barnes was 10 years younger, he would have been gone

Reactions: Big time vol
Your prob right there..........but they certainly care if the coach is going to be there the next year and the year after, etc.........this gives all recruits the knowledge, that Barnes is not going anywhere.

Didn't he just get a raise and extension late last year? Didn't stop him from entertaining an offer from UCLA. That's the purpose for the buyout. This new deal doesn't guarantee anything other than it will be harder and more expensive for another school to hire him away.

Glad Barnes is staying but I want to see more top recruits come to UT. We need a higher base level of talent for him to develop.

Tennessee should push for the SEC and state to allow alcohol sales at sporting events. That revenue would easily more than offset Barnes' raise.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
I don't expect this influx of money to lead to an upgrade in the staff. First, no one else appears to be leaving. Schwartz is likely to be promoted to replace Lanier. So essentially we're paying more for the same staff and head coach.

I don't really think recruits take stock of how much the coach makes. I think they look at his ability as a coach, his ability to relate and to their relationship. That along with the school and facilities enter into the thought, but having a child who went through the process, I can speak for myself and say that not once did I ever ask or even consider how much the head coach was being paid and where it ranked nationally.

As for things going forward, status quo IMO. We pay more and nothing really will change. We will still struggle to make the NCAAT next years. We will still be looking to replace 2-4 starters with some unproven talent. We likely will still be in on several top names, but it remains to be seen how they will view Barnes and his "commitment" to UT. Will he bolt next time if there is a next time? One thing is certain, the stakes have been raised. When you entertain offers and receive a salary like this, I'm not sure the employer or the fans are going to be thrilled with the idea of recruiting players and placing them in prep school then waiting 2-3 years for these kids to "develop". Speaking for myself, I expect to see an end to these "project" type recruits. He's being paid top 5? He needs to recruit top 5. He needs players who can step on campus and contribute right away. He needs to be making the NCAAT regularly. I'm not saying make the sweet 16, but he better be IN the tournament more than once every 2-3 years as his developmental class reaches JR/SR status. JMO.
Top 5 money he better be top 5 every year

Active head coaches who have won titles:

Coach K
Roy Williams
Tom Izzo
Jay Wright
Tony Bennett
Jim Boeheim
Bill Self
Calipari

Which one of those do you think would have come to UT for $4.7 this year?

Or maybe you’re advocating we go after Kevin Ollie, tubby, or Pitino?

Jay Wright would come for $4.7-$5. He makes less than $4 now.

If you count the $5 million buyout UCLA would've given us, add that to a 5 year deal and you could get Self for $5.7 a year over 5 years.

Money can only buy a coach that's willing to come, but people will never grasp this. We've got ourselves a coach that won 31 games and took us to the sweet 16 with a bunch of 3-stars, and has JJJ coming in and a high 4-star the following year. It's a great time to be a vols bball fan. For gosh sakes just enjoy it.

A lot of coaches would've come for that price. Quite a few with better resumes than Barnes.

Top 5 money he better be top 5 every year

Maybe he could start by winning the SEC regular season or SEC Tournament. Blows my mind we overpaid for a coach that hasn't won a damn thing at UT.

If you count the $5 million buyout UCLA would've given us, add that to a 5 year deal and you could get Self for $5.7 a year over 5 years.

This has to me one of more looney posts I have seen.

He was born in PA. He was an assistant at Villanova back in the day. He has been at Villanova since 2001. He has 2 titles in the last 4 years...

To think Tennessee could woo him away from Nova for 4.5-5 million dollars is crazy talk....

Regrading Self, he has a FBI investigation into Kansas to worry about. No one is talking about Kansas involvement with that stuff.

The impact too me is that Barnes is a phonie. He’s not willing to play the recruiting game because of the shade but he’s willing to play it for a pay raise.

He’s overpaid and he’s not recruited at a level that supports him being able to earn his pay.

This has to me one of more looney posts I have seen.

He was born in PA. He was an assistant at Villanova back in the day. He has been at Villanova since 2001. He has 2 titles in the last 4 years...

To think Tennessee could woo him away from Nova for 4.5-5 million dollars is crazy talk....

Regrading Self, he has a FBI investigation into Kansas to worry about. No one is talking about Kansas involvement with that stuff.
I agree. We should know from all the coaching searches that top coaches are usually happy where they are at, and their schools are willing to pay to keep them. Glad the VOLS are becoming that kind of of school.

The impact too me is that Barnes is a phonie. He’s not willing to play the recruiting game because of the shade but he’s willing to play it for a pay raise.

He’s overpaid and he’s not recruited at a level that supports him being able to earn his pay.

It does not matter when this is going to be his last contract regardless if he went to UCLA or stayed at Tennessee.

Is the number high for him? Maybe. But this will be his last contract before retirement. It is worth the money to go thru a 4th coaching search in 8 years....

You can't tell me he is overpaid when he only has 4-5 years left, but then be willing to let him go only to hire some up and comer for less than 2 million and start this whole thing over.

I agree. We should know from all the coaching searches that top coaches are usually happy where they are at, and their schools are willing to pay to keep them. Glad the VOLS are becoming that kind of of school.

If you want to poach one of the bigger name coaches who aren't almost eligible for social security, we would have to pony up more than Cal makes to get them.

Reactions: miket4god
Fulmer kept our Coach of the year, hired a Lady VOLS coach who played under Pat, and none of this will be disrupting football at the end of the week. Great AD.

On another subject, I know some are sore that we didn't go after Pearl, but then again, there must be some reason nobody seems to be going after Pearl? NCAA??

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism

Ok, this makes me feel better. Now I realize you were just joking. Phew!

Reactions: JCP201 and Vols410
Didn't he just get a raise and extension late last year? Didn't stop him from entertaining an offer from UCLA. That's the purpose for the buyout. This new deal doesn't guarantee anything other than it will be harder and more expensive for another school to hire him away.

Lol you don’t get it.

If UCLA didn’t lure him away, he’s not going. I can see that, these fans can see that and I guarantee recruits can as well............sry you don’t, but the rest of us do.

With CRB staying, he clearly got a better contract. He also had to have gotten a bigger salary pool for his assistants. We now have a coach of the year who wants to be here over a blue blood school, and the media was pubbing him up a bit throughout this process, some calling it a great hire for UCLA if it came to fruition.

WIll this improve our overall coaching staff and does it matter if we do?
Will this improve recruiting?
Or will everything remain status quo?
As a whole, it improves everything. Especially if we land Andy Kennedy as assistant.

The winds blow stronger at the top of the flag pole. Expectations just got ratcheted up, and some of the fan base is disappointed in the way Barnes handled all of this. He really needs to deliver.

Reactions: JacketVol

Wright is probably the coach most similar to Barnes in philosophy of how to build a program w/ development and class. The New York Knicks couldn't land him last year. Love my Vols, but no way this would ever happen. He was raised and lives in Bucks County, PA. He was an asst at Nova. Most all his family lives in the same vicinity. His daughter goes to UPenn, 13 miles away, and has just won 2 NATY's along with a renovated arena.

Reactions: Lurker
A lot of coaches would've come for that price. Quite a few with better resumes than Barnes.

No but they would’ve got raises to stay or may have just said no. UCLA is hearing no a lot. Reminds is of where several of our coaches searches before in basketball and football.

Maybe he could start by winning the SEC regular season or SEC Tournament. Blows my mind we overpaid for a coach that hasn't won a damn thing at UT.

Now I know you have stupid thoughts. Won regular season title in 2017-18.

VN Store

Back