Impact of the Decision and New Contract

Lizzard28

With CRB staying, he clearly got a better contract. He also had to have gotten a bigger salary pool for his assistants. We now have a coach of the year who wants to be here over a blue blood school, and the media was pubbing him up a bit throughout this process, some calling it a great hire for UCLA if it came to fruition.

WIll this improve our overall coaching staff and does it matter if we do?
Will this improve recruiting?
Or will everything remain status quo?

Reactions: JCP201
It certainly doesn't hurt!

Recruiting was already looking pretty dang good, and now we most likely have substantial upgrades in pay for assistants.

Maybe CRB just pulled an epic troll job? He's no dummy.

Oh, and I'd love the "status quo" to be reaching the #1 ranking and high NCAAT seeds. The ball will bounce our way if we keep it up!

Definitely should increase expectations as a program.

We paying a guy top 5 in country that means we needs to be consistently good and a threat every year in the tournament (and advance farther).

We could have a coach who actually wins titles for the money we spent. Terribly overpaid for Barnes.
Money can only buy a coach that's willing to come, but people will never grasp this. We've got ourselves a coach that won 31 games and took us to the sweet 16 with a bunch of 3-stars, and has JJJ coming in and a high 4-star the following year. It's a great time to be a vols bball fan. For gosh sakes just enjoy it.

We could have a coach who actually wins titles for the money we spent. Terribly overpaid for Barnes.

Active head coaches who have won titles:

Coach K
Roy Williams
Tom Izzo
Jay Wright
Tony Bennett
Jim Boeheim
Bill Self
Calipari

Which one of those do you think would have come to UT for $4.7 this year?

Or maybe you’re advocating we go after Kevin Ollie, tubby, or Pitino?

Coach K
Roy Williams
Tom Izzo
Jay Wright
Tony Bennett
Jim Boeheim
Bill Self
Calipari

And if you want a final four we should hire Porter Moser, Shaka Smart, Frank Martin or Lon Kruger lol...

Coach K
Roy Williams
Tom Izzo
Jay Wright
Tony Bennett
Jim Boeheim
Bill Self
Calipari

A UK friend of mine joked with me that we would get to deal with Pitino if Barnes left. I threw up in my mouth..... Yuck

Money can only buy a coach that's willing to come, but people will never grasp this. We've got ourselves a coach that won 31 games and took us to the sweet 16 with a bunch of 3-stars, and has JJJ coming in and a high 4-star the following year. It's a great time to be a vols bball fan. For gosh sakes just enjoy it.

3 stars? Grant, Admiral, and Bone were all diamonds in the rough. Not to mention the tremendous physical changes Grant and AD did on their own, exceptional young men with above average resolve and determination. If Grant leaves we are going to have to find a big man or two to help take up some of the scoring slack. Otherwise it's back to mediocrity.

With CRB staying, he clearly got a better contract. He also had to have gotten a bigger salary pool for his assistants. We now have a coach of the year who wants to be here over a blue blood school, and the media was pubbing him up a bit throughout this process, some calling it a great hire for UCLA if it came to fruition.

I think it shows that Fulmer is an AD who is willing to pay for a coach and do what it takes to help them win. This can't be bad.

I think it shows that Fulmer is an AD who is willing to pay for a coach and do what it takes to help them win. This can't be bad.

Fulmer did some serious work behind the scenes yesterday...work that probably only he could have done. He had to go get that money, and the likes of Hart, Currie, etc. never would have had the clout to get it.

Coach K
Roy Williams
Tom Izzo
Jay Wright
Tony Bennett
Jim Boeheim
Bill Self
Calipari

I'm sure Coach K would jump in a heartbeat. Maybe he thinks Dean Smith is still available?

Reactions: JCP201

I don't expect this influx of money to lead to an upgrade in the staff. First, no one else appears to be leaving. Schwartz is likely to be promoted to replace Lanier. So essentially we're paying more for the same staff and head coach.

I don't really think recruits take stock of how much the coach makes. I think they look at his ability as a coach, his ability to relate and to their relationship. That along with the school and facilities enter into the thought, but having a child who went through the process, I can speak for myself and say that not once did I ever ask or even consider how much the head coach was being paid and where it ranked nationally.

As for things going forward, status quo IMO. We pay more and nothing really will change. We will still struggle to make the NCAAT next years. We will still be looking to replace 2-4 starters with some unproven talent. We likely will still be in on several top names, but it remains to be seen how they will view Barnes and his "commitment" to UT. Will he bolt next time if there is a next time? One thing is certain, the stakes have been raised. When you entertain offers and receive a salary like this, I'm not sure the employer or the fans are going to be thrilled with the idea of recruiting players and placing them in prep school then waiting 2-3 years for these kids to "develop". Speaking for myself, I expect to see an end to these "project" type recruits. He's being paid top 5? He needs to recruit top 5. He needs players who can step on campus and contribute right away. He needs to be making the NCAAT regularly. I'm not saying make the sweet 16, but he better be IN the tournament more than once every 2-3 years as his developmental class reaches JR/SR status. JMO.

VN Store

Back