If Coach Barnes leaves for UCLA....

Love Jay Wright from Nova but with 2 recent NCAA Championships do not see that happening.

I'm not sure why so many people are in love with the idea of Steve Forbes. It must be that he was a Bruce disciple. Just because someone loves Tennessee, doesn't mean they need to be the next head coach. He's done a good job at ETSU, but his name has been "floated" in many different Power 5 coaching searches for years. And yet he has never been the dude to get hired. I would have to think that the much smarter AD's out there across the country have reasons as to why they didn't pull the trigger.

It feels like if Forbes wasn't a member of Bruce's staff than he wouldn't have the cult following that he has here. There was literally multiple callers after out Sweet 16 loss calling into Fox Sports Knox calling for Barnes head and saying how they don't want to "miss our chance on Forbsie. Fire Barnes and get Forbsie in here." Be careful what you wish for. It's looking like you all might get what you want.

Forbes is 230-73 as a coach, a very good recruiter, knows Tennessee, lives in East Tennessee, coached with some great head coaches and has as many post season tournament titles as Barnes. He wouldn't be my first choice, but I believe he'd be a fine coach here.

I think it needs to be noted that with taxes and cost of living, $5 million in California may not be much more than $3.25 million in Tennessee. Plus he would have to live in LA, which would suck. Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

So Barnes is grappling with something that is "very damn important" by your own admission. Can you blame him?
No. If it was me I would have to be seriously considering. I love Knoxville and UT but if I had a chance to resurrect the program with the most D1 championships to wrap up my career I would probably be 90/10 taking it.

I’ve been to LA a bunch of times and it sucks. But he’s got the $ to live wherever he wants.

No. If it was me I would have to be seriously considering. I love Knoxville and UT but if I had a chance to resurrect the program with the most D1 championships to wrap up my career I would probably be 90/10 taking it.

I’ve been to LA a bunch of times and it sucks. But he’s got the $ to live wherever he wants.
Me too. Wouldn't want to live in LA, but there are worse places (like Tuscaloosa or NYC). Personally the City of Los Angeles itself is one of the most overrated on the planet...all of the cool stuff people associate with LA isn't even in LA proper. Great weather though.

You gotta remember as well...UCLA is a great basketball brand and is a basketball school. He'd have whatever resources he wants and wouldn't have to go far to recruit. Also, John Wooden is the Bear Bryant of college basketball.

Reactions: illinoisvolfan1
IMO, I don't think they would even look at Pearl given the history. Chris Beard and Steve Prohm are two guys I would consider. Also, add Kermit Davis to that list and I would at least contact Billy Donovan and see if he would be interested in leaving the NBA. Hopefully Barnes stays and we can forget about all of this :).
I can see Billy Donovan heading back to college before his coaching days are done. He will be at OKC another 2-3 years tops and he’s gone. Westbrick gonna drive him out lol

Forbes is 230-73 as a coach, a very good recruiter, knows Tennessee, lives in East Tennessee, coached with some great head coaches and has as many post season tournament titles as Barnes. He wouldn't be my first choice, but I believe he'd be a fine coach here.

He could do well but why in the world take a chance on a 25-10 mid major coach, when you could just pony up for Barnes? I mean really you over pay either way.......why not over pay for something proven?

You gotta remember as well...UCLA is a great basketball brand and is a basketball school. He'd have whatever resources he wants and wouldn't have to go far to recruit. Also, John Wooden is the Bear Bryant of college basketball.

I dont disagree with the brand, the history, and Wooden needs no explanation in the basketball world. It also makes good sense why they get talent. I dont know enough about their current situation with other resources, stability with the AD admin and boosters and such.

If all of that lines up why would you need to search for a coach?

I dont disagree with the brand, the history, and Wooden needs no explanation in the basketball world. It also makes good sense why they get talent. I dont know enough about their current situation with other resources, stability with the AD admin and boosters and such.

If all of that lines up why would you need to search for a coach?

Well it looks like they are trying to find a real one and their willing to pony up to do it. Hope it does not work out for them.

VN Store

Back