What if Rick Barnes stays? (Let's go another direction)

If Fulmer throws the bank at Barnes, I hope we'd expect more than a flameout in the NCAAT every year.

The prob is, who could Tennessee actually get? I could certainly be wrong but when Barnes came and even now, he is prob the best Tennessee can get.

The UCLA job is all about money. Ridiculous money!!! They were trying to throw over $5 million at Calipari. If he gets big money, he should take the job. And there are a ton of good coaches who would be knocking on CPF's door. Be interesting to see how everything shakes out.

Well we made it about 3 years without an accident in basketball. I'd be more bothered but our football pain has made me numb

The UCLA job is all about money. Ridiculous money!!! They were trying to throw over $5 million at Calipari. If he gets big money, he should take the job. And there are a ton of good coaches who would be knocking on CPF's door. Be interesting to see how everything shakes out.

We say that every time there is a coaching search but how many times has UT gotten their #1 choice?

Reactions: knox73
UCLA won their last NC in 1995. 1997 was the last time a PAC-10 team won the NC and that was Arizona. Why? PAC-10 is soft. Sure they get 5-star players but why are all those 5-star teams sucking? Steve Alford didn't forget how to coach. Ben Howland did not forget how to coach. Barnes will have to rebuild a culture. Geez, Big Ballers....

UCLA won their last NC in 1995. 1997 was the last time a PAC-10 team won the NC and that was Arizona. Why? PAC-10 is soft. Sure they get 5-star players but why are all those 5-star teams sucking? Steve Alford didn't forget how to coach. Ben Howland did not forget how to coach. Barnes will have to rebuild a culture. Geez, Big Ballers....

Would only take one year to turnaround.... The talent will always be there.

Would only take one year to turnaround.... The talent will always be there.

Just a few years ago they went 31-5. Only about 10 years ago they had a 3 year stretch of 30+ wins. The PAC is definitely down and with no “clear” front runner or no dominant team/teams. This could/should be a great job for a quality coach. Not to mention their roster is loaded with soph and fresh talent that had tons of minutes this year.

People need make no mistake, this is a good spot for a coach..........I just hope Barnes doesn’t think it’s too good to pass up.

Just a few years ago they went 31-5. Only about 10 years ago they had a 3 year stretch of 30+ wins. The PAC is definitely down and with no “clear” front runner or no dominant team/teams. This could/should be a great job for a quality coach. Not to mention their roster is loaded with soph and fresh talent that had tons of minutes this year.

People need make no mistake, this is a good spot for a coach..........I just hope Barnes doesn’t think it’s too good to pass up.

If Barnes wants to spend the next 5 years chasing a title, UCLA would be too good to pass up.

If Barnes wants to spend the next 5 years chasing a title, UCLA would be too good to pass up.

I suspect your right, as I don’t think it’s a money issue.

I also suspect if he is gone, Grant is as well. I’m sure he is not banking his future on one year with Grant, but it would make the decision easier. Also on the other side, his coach leaving would seem to at least make Grant think more about leaving.

If Barnes does not leave for UCLA I think we can all rest easy until he retires (those that want Barnes here).

He will love living in California, should he choose to do so.

Well considering the talent on their roster plus the easiness of recruiting 4 and 5 stars, it wouldn’t take long to get talent in there. Only takes good coaching and Barnes can do it.
So, you're inclined to think it will only take one year? What is your criteria? Winning record? PAC-12 title? Sweet 16? Elite 8? FF?

So, you're inclined to think it will only take one year? What is your criteria? Winning record? PAC-12 title? Sweet 16? Elite 8? FF?

Barnes would be contending for conference title with their current talent level and recruiting pull by end of Year 2.

To turn around a program, you need good coach and development. The process is expedited when you have 4 and 5 stars instead of a bunch of 3 stars.

I doubt that.

I don’t know how long it would take; however with the right coach it shouldn’t be hard. They have 9 players on their roster who had at least 17 minutes per game and 1 that had over 10.........none of them are seniors, and most are freshman or sophomores. Just 3 years ago they were 31-5, and there are zero dominant teams in the down pac. Also many of those players are part of top 5 and top 10 recruiting classes they had.........just saying there is talent there.

Barnes would be contending for conference title with their current talent level and recruiting pull by end of Year 2.

To turn around a program, you need good coach and development. The process is expedited when you have 4 and 5 stars instead of a bunch of 3 stars.
You said one year in an earlier post. So, you are now saying two years? That would be contending? Interesting, because your posts don't "sync up."

I don’t know how long it would take; however with the right coach it shouldn’t be hard. They have 9 players on their roster who had at least 17 minutes per game and 1 that had over 10.........none of them are seniors, and most are freshman or sophomores. Just 3 years ago they were 31-5, and there are zero dominant teams in the down pac. Also many of those players are part of top 5 and top 10 recruiting classes they had.........just saying there is talent there.
There is talent there. So you think a mid-sixties coach would come in and whip em back into compliance?

You said one year in an earlier post. So, you are now saying two years? That would be contending? Interesting, because your posts don't "sync up."

Everything I said was after one year aka going into Season 2. I’ve been consistent with my timeline.

Well considering the talent on their roster plus the easiness of recruiting 4 and 5 stars, it wouldn’t take long to get talent in there. Only takes good coaching and Barnes can do it.

I don't want to argue because you have made valid points but what makes Rick Barnes a better coach than Steve Alford or Ben Howland? What does he have that they do/did not? Yes he has done a masterful job at UT but with hard nosed, us against the world, senior/junior talent. 5 star players go pro or are playing to go pro from the moment they step on campus. The

That's not what you stated. Go back and read every post.

If I say Barnes needs one year on the job, that means year 2 is when the progress is made. One year equals one season.

It isn’t rocket science.

I don't want to argue because you have made valid points but what makes Rick Barnes a better coach than Steve Alford or Ben Howland? What does he have that they do/did not? Yes he has done a masterful job at UT but with hard nosed, us against the world, senior/junior talent. 5 star players go pro or are playing to go pro from the moment they step on campus. The

Howland got complacent and got fired. Same thing happened to Barnes at Texas but he has clearly rejuvenated his career. Alford wasn’t a good developmental or in game coach. Barnes is both. At UCLA, he would have more talent year in and year out than he has ever had in his career.

Reactions: jrwvol
..., but Barnes is not a great tournament coach. .

You may be right, but he coached the team well enough to be in position to be in the final 4 two years in a row. If Alexander had not gotten injured last year, they have a real shot at the title. If Turner doesn't clip the Purdue shooter at the end of the game, we probably win that one and play UVA for a shot at the final 4. Coach K, with arguably some of the best teams in the tournament, doesn't win against inferior teams every year either. It's tough to win against quality teams 4 or 5 times in a row. UCLA would not have won 7 in a row if there had been a 3pt. line.

There is talent there. So you think a mid-sixties coach would come in and whip em back into compliance?

I think Barnes came in everywhere and turned the situation around. I also think UCLA figures he could do the same there, and get them to a good situation before he retires.

I also think Barnes looks at their roster and Tennessee’s roster and looks at both situations and one looks better “IF” he simply wants to try for a final 4 and a championship before he retires.

However I have never stated “that” was what he is looking for. If it is he may be gone, but it may not be. He might be fine doing what he can here before he retires. Also if Grant comes back Barnes has to figure they still have a run in this team.

I don’t know what Barnes is going to do. I was just stating that UCLA has talent, and it’s young tslent.

VN Store

Back