Josh Palmer is the ##1

Well we aren't exactly WRU anymore.
All 3 guys have had flashes of being game breakers. Jennings was arguably the most important WR in 2016 with Josh Malone as a teammate.
Callaway has been brilliant sometimes. (Ga Tech 2017, UK 2018) and his return skills when he actually returns it are very good. Palmer showed very good skill as a freshman, except being able to hold on to the ball. But he was always open deep. Palmer can flat out run and with limited opportunities he began to shine in 2018.

Jennings became discontent in 2017. Byrd has been missing since 2017 after a very promising freshman season. Callaway has yet to fully emerge, and he first got to start in 2017.
There is a common denominator in all those instances. If Chaney can't fix this ongoing "situation". Then I have no doubt he'll give another situation a chance.

Byrd is still just as talented as he was as a freshman. Palmer, Jennings, and Callaway are all Sunday rotation WRs's. Not number Ones, but guys that can have a career in the NFL

Between Palmer, Callaway, and Jennings, we have one of the best WR corps in the nation. You can argue over who is the best, but frankly, I'm just happy to have all three of them.

The real question IMO is whether anyone can emerge as a big contributor beyond the "Big 3".

Between Palmer, Callaway, and Jennings, we have one of the best WR corps in the nation. You can argue over who is the best, but frankly, I'm just happy to have all three of them.

The real question IMO is whether anyone can emerge as a big contributor beyond the "Big 3".

I like their measurables and highlights as well, but no way I'd rank them in top 5 or even 10 in the NCAA. BUT..., check back at the end of this season.

Clemson
Bama
LSU
even Florida had a more effective WR group.
I don't include air ride type offenses, so much because it's design. From a pure talent standpoint, our Trio are a top 10 group... but we need some confidence and leadership in that pocket. That starts with knowing the offense and the oLine knowing the QB. Have to block and be aware of their QBs pocket behavior

Reactions: MadWorld and 08Vol
Austin Price just said on Nashville radio that Josh Palmer is the star WR on this team. Said he’s easily been the best all spring. Interesting.
That’s disappointing to hear. Palmer made a handful of plays last year and is talented. But there’s no way he should be more than a 2nd or 3rd option on a legit SEC WR corps. Oh well, it is what it is.

Reactions: 08Vol and Titan05
Great if true. The offense is in dire need of a speed guy to emerge as a threat on the outside.
Palmer isn’t a “speed guy”...he’s the fastest of a fairly slow WR group. That’s why one of the focuses of our last recruiting class was getting a highly rated burner at WR....which we didn’t get.

I think that’s huge if true. If he’s better than Jennings and Callaway we will have a pretty nice trio starting
You’ve seen him for two years now, including last year when he was one of our 3 starters with JJ and Callaway....did you at any point think he’s better than either of those two? Yeah, me neither.

Reactions: 08Vol and Titan05
He's shown flashes almost since the beginning. If he has finally matured enough to play up to his potential, then this report would make sense.
He showed no “flashes” whatsoever as a freshmen, it was just the opposite, highlighted by several drops, the most memorable a certain td at UF that he dropped in the end zone.

Last year he had moments last year vs ETSU and especially vs Auburn, but he was wildly inconsistent and struggled, like all our other WRs, in getting any separation from opposing DBs.

Hopefully he’s somehow gotten much, much better with another offseason and a new OC....but I’m very skeptical until we see more, much, much more. I’ve heard these stories before where shining reports come out of spring practice that rave about this player and that player as being greatly improved, making great plays, etc, etc.............and then the season starts.

Reactions: 08Vol

Lol. What? One of the better WR in the SECEast, a WR Corp in the top half of the SEC....those statements I can maybe go for, maybe. But one of the best in the Nation? Dear god no.

All 3 guys have had flashes of being game breakers. Jennings was arguably the most important WR in 2016 with Josh Malone as a teammate.
Callaway has been brilliant sometimes. (Ga Tech 2017, UK 2018) and his return skills when he actually returns it are very good. Palmer showed very good skill as a freshman, except being able to hold on to the ball. But he was always open deep. Palmer can flat out run and with limited opportunities he began to shine in 2018.

Jennings became discontent in 2017. Byrd has been missing since 2017 after a very promising freshman season. Callaway has yet to fully emerge, and he first got to start in 2017.
There is a common denominator in all those instances. If Chaney can't fix this ongoing "situation". Then I have no doubt he'll give another situation a chance.

Byrd is still just as talented as he was as a freshman. Palmer, Jennings, and Callaway are all Sunday rotation WRs's. Not number Ones, but guys that can have a career in the NFL
Quite the stretch to claim all 3 of those guys are nfl WRs. I think Callaway has the most promise of the 3 and can be a mid round (4th or 5th) pick with a very big 2019 season.

JJ is a very solid college WR, I love his attitude, grit and competitiveness, and his hands, but hes limited athletically. ......he has UDFA written all over him imo.

Palmer has 32 catches for 582 yards and 2 tds in 21 games at Tennessee.....that’s an average of 1.5 catches for 27 yards per game, while catching essentially 1 td pass per year. Not a chance he’s even sniffing any NFL Scout’s or GM’s future draft board at the moment. He has potential, but he has yet to show anything that says future NFL WR.

Quite the stretch to claim all 3 of those guys are nfl WRs. I think Callaway has the most promise of the 3 and can be a mid round (4th or 5th) pick with a very big 2019 season.

JJ is a very solid college WR, I love his attitude, grit and competitiveness, and his hands, but hes limited athletically. ......he has UDFA written all over him imo.

Palmer has 32 catches for 582 yards and 2 tds in 21 games at Tennessee.....that’s an average of 1.5 catches for 27 yards per game, while catching essentially 1 td pass per year. Not a chance he’s even sniffing any NFL Scout’s or GM’s future draft board at the moment. He has potential, but he has yet to show anything that says future NFL WR.

JJ is another Michael Crabtree or even a Hines Ward. He's a 4.7 at best but he always finds the ball. Great perimeter blocker.

I agree about Callaway.
Palmer is much more talented than you are giving him credit for.
All 3 the past 2 seasons have not been able to produce to their potential. That's for certain.

Lastly, KBvol, I'll say this. You know why the production has been down. Whether you will admit it or not, and I don't seek a discussion about it...

That horse has been dead for a while.

Let's hope we're both pleasently surprised this year. Chaney can fix a lot. So can age and experience. The offense will have all of the above going into 2019.

Last edited:
The Vols should always have ball magnets who can get behind and outrun the coverage and/or find the crease, get open, catch the ball, and run for extra yards. I recall when Kent would seemingly always find the hole and Price and Nash would get behind the corners, catch the ball on the fly, and outrun the safeties. "... 25, 20, 15, 10, 5, touchdown Tennessee!" By the time John Ward had just started to utter "five," Price or Nash would already be crossing the goal line. Speed, baby. Nothing human was going to catch them.

I like their measurables and highlights as well, but no way I'd rank them in top 5 or even 10 in the NCAA. BUT..., check back at the end of this season.

Clemson
Bama
LSU
even Florida had a more effective WR group.
I don't include air ride type offenses, so much because it's design. From a pure talent standpoint, our Trio are a top 10 group... but we need some confidence and leadership in that pocket. That starts with knowing the offense and the oLine knowing the QB. Have to block and be aware of their QBs pocket behavior

When you factor in how (BAD) our OL was you just don't know how good they could be. These 3 teams probably have more talent but they all have pretty good OL play.You cannot throw effectively without it.Our OL is heading up!!

The Vols should always have ball magnets who can get behind and outrun the coverage and/or find the crease, get open, catch the ball, and run for extra yards. I recall when Kent would seemingly always find the hole and Price and Nash would get behind the corners, catch the ball on the fly, and outrun the safeties. "... 25, 20, 15, 10, 5, touchdown Tennessee!" By the time John Ward had just started to utter "five," Price or Nash would already be crossing the goal line. Speed, baby. Nothing human was going to catch them.

Peerless was more explosive than both.
He's the best to ever play WR for us. Jmo

Reactions: Tnslim1 and Pacer92

VN Store

Back