Westbrook Gone

You know what? Most of you just dont get it and I understand. Fans. But here is what I know. I hate to lose and we are losing. We lost to freaking Vanderbilt. And we are gonna end up going cheap and/or hire a mid major coach, or a coach that has 0 experience? And I get taken to task for saying the search so far is a cluster? Some of you and your choices for coaches make anyone that remotely know the landscape of the game today cringe in unbelief that some of the things that has been said on here. I dont even know what to say.
We lost to freaking Vanderbilt at home.
But Holly is no longer the coach. And that's a good thing.
Saddened to read that Evina is transferring, tho

Roster turnover is what it is with a new coach. I will say that. But the correct hire could keep our roster in tact.

I don’t want this to go from what could potentially be a FF team next year with a good coach to a rebuilding project. Because it doesn’t have to be.

So is Walz a coach the players are interested in? Can the program afford to hire a possible NCAA rules violator to keep the roster intact?

I agree that they truly don't have any sentiment tied to Pat but isn't some of her principles worth respecting? Again, not meaning this in a critical way.

I have no inside knowledge, just my opinion, but seems like she was waiting and once a couple of big names were taken off the board, she decided to go. But I know nothing of course. :)

Roster turnover is what it is with a new coach. I will say that. But the correct hire could keep our roster in tact.

I don’t want this to go from what could potentially be a FF team next year with a good coach to a rebuilding project. Because it doesn’t have to be.

Why would you worry about this roster? Do you really think this bunch is a final 4 team? Seriously? Hell, the sooner the roster is turned over the better. Clean it all out and start over.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
I expected her to leave. It’s imperative for the new coach to keep Horston. Otherwise, he/she faces a long road ahead.

I'm getting sad about this situation. Initially I was happy to know Holly was fired. But never thought about the consequences of her firing.
I wish I could shake off my obsession with the Lady Vols but I can't. I blame coach Summitt.
Pat's influence over the program is waning

Reactions: cutiepie5
So is Walz a coach the players are interested in? Can the program afford to hire a possible NCAA rules violator to keep the roster intact?
I still don't get this rules violation claim...maybe there are things we do not know about, but if it is the MD/Frese/Parker/guilty by association claim, then why does anyone care about something that happened like 20 years ago? Certainly the players do not. Next are we going to pull out all the candidates' high school yearbooks to make sure there are no pictures of inappropriate contact?

Reactions: bullet20

I agree that they truly don't have any sentiment tied to Pat but isn't some of her principles worth respecting? Again, not meaning this in a critical way.

I'm not sure.

You can have a great hire that isn't part of Pat's coaching tree. There are coaches out there who would be completely respectful of her legacy and the tradition here.

As it stands, Pat's legacy was what built the program, but if people don't let go of the fact that there was only one Pat Summitt, her legacy will be the cause of death of the program, too. I'm telling you: people need to let go of the past.

I have a feeling that others may leave also

No doubt, I think Evina was on her way out regardless which is why Holly was going to pick up that Australian girl. Anyone know if she's still coming?

I believe Evina waited a bit to see who they were going to get as coach before putting her name in the transfer portal. My gut tells me she now knows who the coach will likely be, and it isn't going to be much of an improvement. Pure speculation, but that's what the timing of all those events tells me.

I suspect we will see at least 2 or 3 more transfers before summer ends. Likely our better players, many of the players who struggled will stay because they don't have good transfer stock and would be downgrading in terms of program.

Reactions: cutiepie5
Two way street. Maybe the incoming coach doesn't like the roster? They have the HS accolades, but do they fit what he/she is looking for?
Thank you! The new coach may politely show some of these players and their parents the door! Karma is a bitch sometimes!

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
I'm not sure.

You can have a great hire that isn't part of Pat's coaching tree. There are coaches out there who would be completely respectful of her legacy and the tradition here.

As it stands, Pat's legacy was what built the program, but if people don't let go of the fact that there was only one Pat Summitt, her legacy will be the cause of death of the program, too. I'm telling you: people need to let go of the past.

As much as I loved Pat as our coach, even I see that some of the past/traditions aren't working. And I also don't think a former Lady Vol will help now even though I like KJH.

What coach can fix this situation????

No doubt, I think Evina was on her way out regardless which is why Holly was going to pick up that Australian girl. Anyone know if she's still coming?

I believe Evina waited a bit to see who they were going to get as coach before putting her name in the transfer portal. My gut tells me she now knows who the coach will likely be, and it isn't going to be much of an improvement. Pure speculation, but that's what the timing of all those events tells me.

I suspect we will see at least 2 or 3 more transfers before summer ends. Likely our better players, many of the players who struggled will stay because they don't have good transfer stock and would be downgrading in terms of program.
It wouldn't surprise me if she(the player from Australia) wound up going to another school. She seems rather slow to me and I think Tennessee could recruit a better player.

UT was never going to hire a coach until after this weekend. Some of the coaches everyone's clamoring for are still coaching. They're unlikely to be interested, but like Staley, Schaefer and others, you make the call. This search is far from a cluster and it's not dragging on at all.

Without reading all the comments, I'll just drop in to say I'm sorry to see Westbrook leave, if indeed she does leave. With the right coach and the right coaching, she could be a key part of the Lady Vols going forward.

And for any of you who didn't like her attitude, I will just note this: I think she hates to lose, and saw the current situation as just that: a losing proposition. Frankly, I'd rather have someone with passion to win and mind of her own. If you get those to buy in, you can change a culture and move mountains.

Thank you! The new coach may politely show some of these players and their parents the door! Karma is a bitch sometimes!

I read or heard somewhere about the comments Geno made about the trials of dealing with the recruits today. It's not like it used to be when a coach could breathe fire and brimstone like PHS and the kids would respond to it positively. Now he said coaches are afraid of upsetting their players and parents. Transfer is always a threat. Warlick comes from old school/PHS era. It's what she knows. Sadly, that doesn't seem to work with most players today. I also suspect it's why Barnes is looking for a certain type of player on the mens side and doesn't go strictly by star power. He's seen enough of that attitude and no longer has the patience to deal with it.

It's simply a different game and breed of player today. For better or worse, what worked for PHS likely won't translate into todays game. Might be time to look outside the family and bring in some new blood with fresh approaches and ideas.

VN Store

Back