Westbrook Gone

Schaeffer was an Associate head coach at a good program when he was named to Miss St. We need to find an Associate Coach from a great program because they know what running a program takes and are working in a system that has been successful. A lot of good one out there just need to determine who you think is the best. This has been the way that programs have become successful Walz was an Associate and a lot of other programs have went that route to success. I hope Fulmer will definitely consider all the great Associate head coaches out there before going the mid-major route.

Mark Campbell has been great at Oregon. It seems Graves defers a lot of the team management to him, he appears very involved with the players. Graves former assistant at Gonzaga has done excellent things since she took over there as well. If we’re going to go the cheap route I’d prefer someone like Campbell or Ivey who have been in the midst of a team playing modern basketball at a high level.

Any former Lady Vol, in my opinion, is doomed. That style of basketball just doesn’t work anymore. The only coach who still successfully employs that style of play right now is Kim Mulkey, but she’s a legend in herself and her players put up or shut up. Plus you can play “get it to the big girl,” when you have Kalani Brown and Lauren Cox in the middle.

Last edited:
Looks like it. Another former lady vol based on who is available = transfers and probably a losing season next year. Just going to be more of the same that we saw with Holly. And they’ll struggle beating the better coaches already in the league. MSST, TA&M, Arkansas, SC, and Kentucky all have great coaching and will be difficult to beat next season, regardless of who’s hired. With transfers and a cheap hire for a coach I predict we finish in the bottom third of the SEC again.

Not to mention we’re likely going to suffer a very embarrassing defeat to UCONN.

That couldn't be as embarrassing as the defeat by Vandy.

Reactions: olddog
Fans: "It's been a week and no hire so Phil is going cheap and shopping in the bargain bin b/c our school refuses to pay money and Phil is jealous of actual good coaches and we have the worst admin ever and Pruitt is clearly in over his head..."

Pruitt: *hires established, proven, successful OC away from rival*

We don't want to screw up this hire, and this is a job that a lot of people would throw in for, so it requires due diligence and patience. Looks like so far Phil is handling this exactly the way he handled the football HC search, and the way Pruitt handled the OC search. Take time, interview a lot, go to where the best candidates are meeting up for an event and conduct more interviews, make sure you get it right.

Folks may just have to get used to the fact that this is how it works now.

Oh goodness its now public knowledge and why dont you guys slam Raoul like you did me. I could comment much more but I wont for fear of being blasted by the old school people.

Truthfully we all want the same. To win and get our once storied program back to at least having a shot at winning a NCAA tourney game. :rolleyes:
If you supposedly had dinner with Fulmer last night, why didn't you voice your concerns to him?

That couldn't be as embarrassing as the defeat by Vandy.

I wholly agree with you. I was literally sick to my stomach after watching that game. A part of me feels like that was mostly orchestrated by DeMoss. I think she truly wanted to embarrass Holly and I’m sure she had a big hand in the game planning for that one.

The way she cold shouldered her after that game said everything. She looked just as pissed and sad as all of us UT fans, I’m sure that had to be hard for her to stomach, even sitting on the Vandy bench. Can’t imagine what it’s like to see something you were such an integral part of fall apart.

Fans: "It's been a week and no hire so Phil is going cheap and shopping in the bargain bin b/c our school refuses to pay money and Phil is jealous of actual good coaches and we have the worst admin ever and Pruitt is clearly in over his head..."

Pruitt: *hires established, proven, successful OC away from rival*

We don't want to screw up this hire, and this is a job that a lot of people would throw in for, so it requires due diligence and patience. Looks like so far Phil is handling this exactly the way he handled the football HC search, and the way Pruitt handled the OC search. Take time, interview a lot, go to where the best candidates are meeting up for an event and conduct more interviews, make sure you get it right.

Folks may just have to get used to the fact that this is how it works now.
I guess you'll be saying the same thing in 2023 or 2024 when it's time to look for another Tennessee women's head basketball coach;)

Last edited:
Reactions: cutiepie5
Mark Campbell has been great at Oregon. It seems Graves defers a lot of the team management to him, he appears very involved with the players. Graves former assistant at Gonzaga has done excellent things since she took over there as well. If we’re going to cheap route I’d prefer someone like Campbell or Ivey who have been in the midst of a team playing modern basketball at a high level.

Any former Lady Vol, in my opinion, is doomed. That style of basketball just doesn’t work anymore. The only coach who still employs that style of play right now is Kim Mulkey, but she’s a legend in herself and her players put up or shut up. Plus you can play “get it to the big girl,” when you have Kalani Brown and Lauren Cox in the middle.
I like him a lot and several others and is the route I would take before going mid-major coach. I like anyone that has been an associate for Geno, Muffet, Graves, and even new coaches like Schaeffer anyone that sees how a successful program is run and have been working in a system that has been successful over a long period of time. I have nothing against KJH and if that is the way we go I hope we become great again. I will feel more comfortable with someone that is working in a program that has been successful for many seasons. I would love it to be Mark Campbell think that would be a terrific pick by Fulmer. I hope we have someone hired by at least the middle of next week so we can get the roster stable for next season.

Raoul has her listed on his transfer portal list.

Women’s Basketball Transfers: Fall 2018–Summer 2019

I always thought she was leaving I think her mother had hinted it over a month ago.

Listening to that interview after the last game !
I thought she was gone then .... Especially after Mom’s comment about people not having long to complain about her .... Just felt like she was leaving!!!! JMO

Hopefully they won’t be others? Right now the critical player is Horston ..... She is the key person in this situation. She can play any of the guard positions better than any other play that we have right now ! Jaz can and would do a fair job but we all know she is not much of a threat to score. A point must be able to penetrate and be able to score and not pass all of the time. Don’t know about the recruit from Australia?

We need to get this coaching search right. We have been spoiled by Pat and left fuming mad with the Holly debacle. I don’t know who would be the best replacement? However, listening to Lawson talk about this game and her input about BB situations, she CLEARLY knows this game ! After listening to Holly’s post game interviews for seven years and listening to Lawson commentaries..... surely no one on this forum can not discern the difference between these two ladies ! Before all of the naysayers pile on..... she has said on more than one occasion “She is not interested “. And after reading the comments on this forum ! Makes me think Lawson is wise beyond her years . JMO

Reactions: sccshortstop
I like him a lot and several others and is the route I would take before going mid-major coach. I like anyone that has been an associate for Geno, Muffet, Graves, and even new coaches like Schaeffer anyone that sees how a successful program is run and have been working in a system that has been successful over a long period of time. I have nothing against KJH and if that is the way we go I hope we become great again. I will feel more comfortable with someone that is working in a program that has been successful for many seasons. I would love it to be Mark Campbell think that would be a terrific pick by Fulmer. I hope we have someone hired by at least the middle of next week so we can get the roster stable for next season.

He’s made his way to the top of my list since his name started being thrown around. Kelly always speaks very highly of him and in a lot of their locker room videos he’s the one going over the game plans with the team. He has played a major part in the development of Sabrina and Satou and Sabrina may be the best college player I’ve ever seen. Satou isn’t far off either. I haven’t seen a 6’4” player do the things she does. Smith at Stanford is the only one close. She is what Joyner Holmes could have been if she had chosen more wisely when picking a coach.

PLUS... Most of these kids nowadays are coddled lil brats that constantly need their asses kissed and steady stream of fake positive reinforcement.
You wonder WHY coaches make the $ they do? Its obvious to me.
By that logic middle school teachers should all be driving Ferraris. Coaches' salary would seem to be related to the cash flow generated for the schools by their athletic programs. In TN's case literally none of it flows to the fans in the form of a watchable product. But at least Forbes loves us!

Actually simple is a perfect way of putting it! There is nothing wrong with throwing a hook out to as many HS AA’s and catching as many as possible but somewhere in there you need to recruit some under radar type players who you know can really shoot the ball and maybe even handle it for you! If you have not noticed Ky, Mizzou. Ark, and others are beating us with kids just like that! A PG with b-ball IQ and leadership qualities would be great! Just like KJH was!

In all honesty, it's time to look outside the PHS coaching tree for the next coach. Look, no one can ever forget or minimize the impact PHS had on this game, this school and this program, but those days can't be recaptured because there won't be another PHS. She made the game what it is today. Any...any... of her former players would fall short of her legend. They aren't going to become PHS just because they "came home". They aren't going to do what PHS did. They simply aren't PHS.

Go find the right fit for this program regardless of gender, ties to PHS, etc. Just get the right coach. This obsession with former players being the only ones who know how to turn this program around is fools gold.

Oh good, now I know who to put on ignore. Since I am new here I took you at your word and actually thought you had some connections. Obviously you don't know anything more than the rest of us.

He has no connections, no insider info, no sources, no anything. He's a combination of full of ****, a liar and a troll. Ignore him he's trash.

The vultures are out over on the UCONN Boneyard...you would think Westbrook has already enrolled at UCONN. They also want Horston to decommit and go to UCONN. How desperate they must be to want UT players.

Reactions: Volfan2012
The vultures are out over on the UCONN Boneyard...you would think Westbrook has already enrolled at UCONN. They also want Horston to decommit and go to UCONN. How desperate they must be to want UT players.

Yeah. UConn is 35-2, in the final 4, already has the #1 recruit in this class. Smacks of desperation. I can feel the heat building under Geno's chair as I type this.

He has no connections, no insider info, no sources, no anything. He's a combination of full of ****, a liar and a troll. Ignore him he's trash.
Their just saying what certain people on here want to hear and or believe. Certain people want to believe that this search is a cluster and that Fulmer doesn't care. So they tell people just that and people will believe them. If you paid attention to the OC search then you would no that Fulmer keeps everything close to vest and very few people are in know and that he wait on the right person if he has to.

Mark Campbell has been great at Oregon. It seems Graves defers a lot of the team management to him, he appears very involved with the players. Graves former assistant at Gonzaga has done excellent things since she took over there as well. If we’re going to cheap route I’d prefer someone like Campbell or Ivey who have been in the midst of a team playing modern basketball at a high level.

Any former Lady Vol, in my opinion, is doomed. That style of basketball just doesn’t work anymore. The only coach who still successfully employs that style of play right now is Kim Mulkey, but she’s a legend in herself and her players put up or shut up. Plus you can play “get it to the big girl,” when you have Kalani Brown and Lauren Cox in the middle.
I agree with you,VolBall09. The Tennessee women's basketball program needs a head coach outside the old LadyVols circle who will bring fresh blood to the program and new ideas.

VN Store

Back