If Grant leaves?

BruinVol

If Grant leaves will Barnes change his style and play a much more spread them out dribble drive and kick type offesne??

Imo losing Grant won't put this team back as much as many think IF Barnes will allow Bone, Bowden, Turner, James, Johnson and Pons run an offesne that looks more like Auburn now than an offesne that runs thru Grant.

If Grant leaves will Barnes change his style and play a much more spread them out dribble drive and kick type offesne??

Imo losing Grant won't put this team back as much as many think IF Barnes will allow Bone, Bowden, Turner, James, Johnson and Pons run an offesne that looks more like Auburn now than an offesne that runs thru Grant.

Damn I think we don’t go to grant enough this year.

What about Burns? Fulky? Walker?

One may transfer, but the others figure to fit in prominently and none scream Auburn types to me.

Reactions: LibertyVol
What about Burns? Fulky? Walker?

One may transfer, but the others figure to fit in prominently and none scream Auburn types to me.

They don't stretch the floor like auburn I agree but they certainly don't need the offesne running thru them either. I just think we will have to go very perimeter oriented and that's ok

Reactions: k-town_king

I'm not sure our guards are the shooters the Auburn kids are. We're much more "streaky".

I'm not sure our guards are the shooters the Auburn kids are. We're much more "streaky".

I'd agree they arent as good shooters but it not that big of difference. What we lose in the comparison we gain back as I think our guys are better finishers than theirs

Reactions: Barnes'Barn
I'd agree they arent as good shooters but it not that big of difference. What we lose in the comparison we gain back as I think our guys are better finishers than theirs

I'll be curious to see what Barnes does if Bone and Grant both leave early. What sort of player will he look for from the transfer pool? Might be more a case of finding able bodies and plugging holes as best you can.

I'll be curious to see what Barnes does if Bone and Grant both leave early. What sort of player will he look for from the transfer pool? Might be more a case of finding able bodies and plugging holes as best you can.
The fact he has to look instead of them knocking down his door is telling.

Barnes has run double post offense every single year except with Durant so I highly doubt it. Even his first two years he was reluctant to change

Reactions: cobbwebb0710

Tennessee is losing Admiral and Alexander, if Grant leaves as well this team will certainly take a step back. They will be losing their leaders & their best scorers. Tennessee currently has no one on their roster who can replace both Alexander and Grant at the same time (with any type of quality minutes). Then you still have to replace Admiral.......a viable post player, who can drive and who is Tennessee’s best 3 pt shooter. Right now Johnson and Pons would fill that role and they are still not ready.

Tennessee has good guards, with a possible good post, and a quality backup down low, but if Grant leaves don’t except magic. As Tennessee is losing a lot.

I think if Bone and Williams do leave CRB will adapt his offensive philosophy to his players's strentgths and run some type of free wheeling offense.

Reactions: k-town_king
I think if Bone and Williams do leave CRB will adapt his offensive philosophy to his players's strentgths and run some type of free wheeling offense.

Barnes is a technical coach, he is not going to run some “free wheeling” O.

Either right or wrong he just isn’t going to.

Barnes and Pearl have very different philosophies. Not that its uncommon. No different than football they recruit to those philosophies. Both have (no different than most) made minor adjustments to that based on what they get and how the develop but dont expect to see either completely change their way of doing things.

To Grant specifically.

Admiral is leaving big shoes. Replacing him and Grant in one season is a big ask.

If Grant comes back and you get some development and young help you re not too far off.

Barnes has run double post offense every single year except with Durant so I highly doubt it. Even his first two years he was reluctant to change

This is the info I was looking for.

Would love to know how they changed that one year

JJ will be a big factor next Fall. He is a very talented player.

Defense. I don't think he's effective enough for his size
I mean I don’t want him to leave early either, but
1. I think he’s an excellent defensive player
2. His size is not going to change sizes by staying in school a year longer

99.9 sure he isn't leaving. This is a Kid who's mom works for NASA, got accepted to Harvard, likes school, has respect and honor. He knows he's not ready for the nba this year.
His draft stock likely won't improve at this point. If he's not ready now, he never will be. I agree on the other points.

I mean I don’t want him to leave early either, but
1. I think he’s an excellent defensive player
2. His size is not going to change sizes by staying in school a year longer
I think Grant has admitted that his perimeter defense is not at the level he would want it to be in the NBA. Perimeter defense and perimeter scoring would be the main things pro teams would want him to improve. At his height he would definitely be fine as a power forward in the NBA, but they would expect him to be able to switch onto a guard. He’s fine at staying in front of guards but he does not excel at closing them out on the three point line.

All that said, is he more likely to improve that in college or in the NBA/G-League?

Reactions: amorange

VN Store

Back