Learn to Bunt

Happy for him. Seems like a team guy who gets every ounce out of his physical abilities.

On another note, does anyone know if Stapp is still hurt? I know he had a scary looking injury in the first SEC series and I think he came back for a game or two later in the season. He played well in the non conference season, but I hadn’t heard if he’s not fully healthy or the staff is more comfortable with Chinea at this point.

His conference BA is .059. His play in the field and his speed on the base paths put him behind Chinea. Injury really set him back. Much like Luc Lipcius at first base.

Happy for him. Seems like a team guy who gets every ounce out of his physical abilities.

On another note, does anyone know if Stapp is still hurt? I know he had a scary looking injury in the first SEC series and I think he came back for a game or two later in the season. He played well in the non conference season, but I hadn’t heard if he’s not fully healthy or the staff is more comfortable with Chinea at this point.

Really does not matter. Stapp in no longer a Vol.

well, are we now in the who-goes-next mode...hope Coach V knows what he's doing...at least he's making good money at it...time tells all...:)

GO BIG ORANGE!

well, are we now in the who-goes-next mode...hope Coach V knows what he's doing...at least he's making good money at it...time tells all...:)

GO BIG ORANGE!

Look at his pedigree he definitely knows what he’s doing. The way I see its a simple question. If players couldn’t get in the lineup on a team that finished last place in the conference in hitting what makes you think they will when this highly ranked class comes in? If that’s the case these kids want to play. It’s in there best interest to transfer to be able to do so. This 11.7 really makes these coaches hamstrung. Coaches especially in this conferences are paid to win games. They don’t get pats on the back or extensions if they finish in close to last place but keep people on who don’t produce and don’t turn out to be SEC caliber players.

Reactions: 2 people
Look at his pedigree he definitely knows what he’s doing. The way I see its a simple question. If players couldn’t get in the lineup on a team that finished last place in the conference in hitting what makes you think they will when this highly ranked class comes in? If that’s the case these kids want to play. It’s in there best interest to transfer to be able to do so. This 11.7 really makes these coaches hamstrung. Coaches especially in this conferences are paid to win games. They don’t get pats on the back or extensions if they finish in close to last place but keep people on who don’t produce and don’t turn out to be SEC caliber players.

Can't blame him for cutting guys he didn't recruit
But I can for guys he does recruit. If his plan is to bring in 20 signees in each class and keep half of them how hard is that to evaluate? Hell thats that only Hoping To go 50/50. That appears to be the plan.

Last edited:
Can't blame him for cutting guys he didn't recruit
But I can for guys he does recruit. If his plan is to bring in 20 signees in each class and keep half of them how hard is that to evaluate? Hell thats that only Hoping To go 50/50. That appears to be the plan.

Not sure if that’s the plan or not. I guess we will see and find out. Attrition happens as well on the players end if they aren’t playing and they have a stud producing in front of them some decide to transfer. The transfer epidemic is alive in well in all sports. Especially when the new transfer rule comes into play. Kids want to play.

Reactions: 1 person
Not sure if that’s the plan or not. I guess we will see and find out. Attrition happens as well on the players end if they aren’t playing and they have a stud producing in front of them some decide to transfer. The transfer epidemic is alive in well in all sports. Especially when the new transfer rule comes into play. Kids want to play.

Yep. Stay tuned. There may even be some transferring that they want to keep.

Sure there is natural attrition and that is a neccassy thing. However when it's planned on at a high rate it crosses the line for me. Now I admit it's likely the quickest way to win but that doesn't mean I like the integrity of the approach. It's only about treating a player as a number and very little emphasis on development.

Last edited:
Sure there is natural attrition and that is a neccassy thing. However when it's planned on at a high rate it crosses the line for me. Now I admit it's likely the quickest way to win but that doesn't mean I like the integrity of the approach. It's only about treating a player as a number and very little emphasis on development.

I def respect your opinion on this. In my opinion the NCAA has created this situation especially when your neighbor in Nashville has there deal. It is very hard managing the 11.7 it’s much harder then a damn salary cap especially not knowing if some of your recruits ever make it to campus. You have to create depth. 11.7 for 35 guys isn’t fair especially the amount of time these athletes spend at the ballpark.

I def respect your opinion on this. In my opinion the NCAA has created this situation especially when your neighbor in Nashville has there deal. It is very hard managing the 11.7 it’s much harder then a damn salary cap especially not knowing if some of your recruits ever make it to campus. You have to create depth. 11.7 for 35 guys isn’t fair especially the amount of time these athletes spend at the ballpark.

Oh this Board knows my Thoughts on Vandy very well. I just don't like the professional baseball feel with heavy roster attrition. There has been a lot of positive talk lately about college players being developed and that becomes less true in programs that plan to cut so many guys.

I blame the NCAA for Vandy but not so much the 11.7. I just want a level playing field

Reactions: txbo
Oh this Board knows my Thoughts on Vandy very well. I just don't like the professional baseball feel with heavy roster attrition. There has been a lot of positive talk lately about college players being developed and that becomes less true in programs that plan to cut so many guys.

I blame the NCAA for Vandy but not so much the 11.7. I just want a level playing field
Exactly and Vandy isn’t the only one either

well said and so true...:salute:

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: 1 person
analytics never won a game either. Show me those analytics, then I'll believe you.

The top teams in the conference have 9 guys in the lineup that can bunt, when needed. Vandy proved that last night, Auburn did all last weekend, Florida and LSU have for years. Tennessee has maybe 3. That's a major problem, especially in games like last night.

VN Store

Back