Niele Ivey

I believe that 95% + of current great coaches served as an assistant coach at some point in their careers.

I think Niele Ivey will be a candidate for the vacant Georgia Tech head coaching position. I wouldn't want her to be Tennessee head coach because of her lack of head coaching experience.

Ga. Tech has the unfortunate vibe of being a women's basketball wasteland. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather be the top assistant at a respected program that draws tens of thousands of rabid fans than be the head coach at a place where if you accidentally drop a hotdog on the floor during a game the other 20 people in attendance will hear it. :eek:

Okay, that was obviously an exaggeration, but it's true that Atlantans aren't huge on supporting women's college basketball. I don't think they average even a thousand fans.

Last edited:
If she is the choice, get ready for a boom in Lady Vols Basketball. She develops guards and great at X & O's. Just look at that smile.

Reactions: volman128
The key words here are "the upcoming superstar". I hate for us to have to suffer through developing a coach and the repair of program. A proven coach is a much better route to me.
I am all for Jeff Walz and a couple of other coaches that have been around a while. After that she would be my next choice. I like her much better than any of the present people coaching that were Tennessee players I think she is much more skilled than they are. Walz is the number one if he want come then you have to go with someone else for me that would be Scott Rueck or Becky Hammon then failing on any of those three Ivey.

Muffet was only treading water till she came aboard.

Muffett’s first 4 years at Notre Dame her team was 87-34 with three conference (Midwest collegiate conference) championships. That might be treading water, but she made it to the final four in Ivey’s freshman year. Let’s not make it sound like ND’s success is based on Niele Ivey.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I am sure Walz has the first chance to take the job. If he doesn't take it sure we'll go down a list. One thing you can say about Ivey she would be like getting Muffett she would run the same offense and defense and suspect recruiting would be just as good as it is now. Ivey is the one getting all those players to Notre Dame. If Fulmer can work out a deal with Walz suspect he will be the coach but there is a limit at to how much you can pay a women's basketball coach. Barnes and his Assistants are due for a big raise as well. Two or three different sources are listing Walz and Ivey as the top two we'll see both their teams are still playing basketball.

I am sure Walz has the first chance to take the job. If he doesn't take it sure we'll go down a list. One thing you can say about Ivey she would be like getting Muffett she would run the same offense and defense and suspect recruiting would be just as good as it is now. Ivey is the one getting all those players to Notre Dame. If Fulmer can work out a deal with Walz suspect he will be the coach but there is a limit at to how much you can pay a women's basketball coach. Barnes and his Assistants are due for a big raise as well. Two or three different sources are listing Walz and Ivey as the top two we'll see both their teams are still playing basketball.
Cant believe I am saying this but all the top programs are paying big money to the head coach. Its Walz until he says NO! If Fulmer has spoken to him he knows what he makes.

In a fantasy world, if in that world we could have ANY living coach we wanted, and also knew that EVERY coach was willing to leave her/his own wildly successful programs to happily become the New Face of the Lady Vols, I would be so thrilled for Muffet McGraw to be our coach that I might pass out when hearing the news she'd accepted.

That woman can coach!

She will be the next great coach somewhere and heard that she is one of the candidates for the Tennessee job. Long time Assistant at Notre Dame person responsible for bringing all the talent that has played there in the past and the present. If we were going for a person that has never been a head coach but has been a player favorite and can relate to players she would be the person I would choose. A coach with a lot of experience in what it takes to win x's and 0's and someone that is as good a recruiter as there is in college basketball. Would be a huge loss to the Notre Dame program and I think she would bring our program back as quickly as any other coach we can hire.

Niele Ivey - Women's Basketball Coach - UND Athletics

Reports are that she and Jeff Walz are the two top candidates.
Completely agree on Ivey for the job. She is the hottest prospect for a head coaching job in women's college basketball right now. Would bring a much stronger character to the job than Walz.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
Completely agree on Ivey for the job. She is the hottest prospect for a head coaching job in women's college basketball right now. Would bring a much stronger character to the job than Walz.
Niele Ivey has no head coaching experience and Jeff Walz is obviously the better choice for Tennessee.

Niele Ivey has no head coaching experience and Jeff Walz is obviously the better choice for Tennessee.

Right now this team is not part of the elite programs to make a deep run in the post season, And to note no Final Four since 2008 So what now ? Ivey would be a very good pick

Right now this team is not part of the elite programs to make a deep run in the post season, And to note no Final Four since 2008 So what now ? Ivey would be a very good pick
I think Tennessee can get Jeff Walz to become the head coach of the Tennessee women's basketball team and you always pick a head coach with a load of experience over a long term assistant coach with no head coaching experience

VN Store

Back