Louisville prepared to lose women's basketball coach Jeff Walz to Tennessee

You made a wise career choice. As a journalist, you would have the most integrity at the unemployment office.

I won't argue the career choice.

For those who say "Who cares?"...hope you all remember that when some media type spreads rumors about us during the tournament when we are back in contention for a title.

What's to be gained by leaking such information now, even if it's true?

Reactions: OrangenSC
Tru dat, and any sportswriter who would leak such information at this time doesn't display any integrity.
That's kind of their job....if he doesn't someone else just will. It's not like its a national secret endanderging lives here.

Does anyone honestly think UT would buy out a huge contract and Pay more than he is making now? For football, but not women's basketball.

So now we have gone from the low end of possibly being stuck with holly to the high end of paying top dollar.

As long as she is gone soon after the tournaments end, I do not care who they hire as long as the candidate has head coaching experience and shows an upward trend of success.

Will we? Probably. Should we? Let's be honest here. Men's football and men's basketball subsidize women's basketball. Women's basketball generally operates at a loss. To pay "top dollar" for a program that can't support itself is hard to swallow.

Generally, women's basketball operates at a shortfall. Consider this:

"Though South Carolina led the nation in attendance last season, it did so while running a deficit of nearly $5.9 million. Though UConn and Tennessee have sometimes shown financial surpluses in women’s basketball, the NCAA’s most recent accounting (from 2016) shows none of the 129 Football Bowl Subdivision schools generated more revenues than expenses in women’s basketball.

Median shortfall: $2,321,000."

Why Louisville women's basketball loses money despite a slew of wins

For those who say "Who cares?"...hope you all remember that when some media type spreads rumors about us during the tournament when we are back in contention for a title.

If all this is, by some miracle, actually true and Walz comes here, safe to say the New Lady Vols just made their first big new era enemy. Not only taking their star coach but doing so out loud during their tourney run. Very bad form and unnecessary. I want ethics emphasized to potential Coach Walz, not fudged from the start. Can Coach Rick Barnes orient Coach Walz?

Even if not true, and its probably not, the rumor is enough of a thing that the Louisville AD felt compelled to address it. That's enough to rattle his team a bit, a distraction they don't deserve right now.

Last edited:
Probably already mentioned but, his salary is $1.15 million plus a $500 monthly car allowance. Is UT going to beat that when they haven't done anything like kick up that kind of money before?

Your use of the word “leaking” is a tell. He’s not one of our internet blogger guys who LEAK rumors read on this or other boards. IF his source is legit, he’s shirking his responsibility to his employer and and readership by not RELAYING it. We DID hear “rumors” that weren’t such during our last Sweet 16 run. The Marquette job was open and Zo pursued it. So I “remember” that. Then as it is now it was journalists doing their jobs.

Probably already mentioned but, his salary is $1.15 million plus a $500 monthly car allowance. Is UT going to beat that when they haven't done anything like kick up that kind of money before?
What’d they pay Summitt? I know they were paying her $300 k AFTER she stepped down as coach.

I agree with you. Nothing to be gained by leaking it now. But fans, at least some of ours, are a very impatient lot. They think they have the right to know what they want to know, right now. And what they want to happen must happen right now. Anything less, somebody's gonna pay.

If all this is, by some miracle, actually true and Walz comes here, safe to say the New Lady Vols just made their first big new era enemy. Not only taking their star coach but doing so out loud during the tourney. Very bad form and unnecessary. I want ethics emphasized to potential Coach Walz, not fudged from the start. Can Coach Rick Barnes orient Coach Walz?

Even if not true, and its probably not, the rumor is enough of a thing that the Louisville AD felt compelled to address it. That's enough to rattle his team a bit, a distraction they don't deserve right now.

This all came from someone at Louisville, not ut. Calm down

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
If he is dissatisfied with AD at Louisville, his raise may be minimal. UT could pay him that and lose less money with the additional revenue he could generate if he excels as expected.

This all came from someone at Louisville, not ut. Calm down
I thought it was a Chattanooga beat reporter in Louisville for the men's game. I understand it was a leak and exactly what I want journalists to do. Still wish if the contact is being made during the tourney both ADs could have found a way to keep it quiet for the sake of Walz's players. Hell maybe they won't care, who knows. I'll calm down now, thanks for the tip.

If all this is, by some miracle, actually true and Walz comes here, safe to say the New Lady Vols just made their first big new era enemy. Not only taking their star coach but doing so out loud during their tourney run. Very bad form and unnecessary. I want ethics emphasized to potential Coach Walz, not fudged from the start. Can Coach Rick Barnes orient Coach Walz?

I agree, as I've said in other posts. However, it's not necessarily his fault that this was leaked. And you can't blame him for interviewing for the opening, in private, if he's interested.

Evidently, Holly is pretty comfortable tonight. I know she was pretty concerned last week but as of right now, I feel like she might be around another year.

I'm hoping all this Walz news is true though 🤞

we still have a "COACH" though ... ..... thanks for a good laugh !
zcZKQmRItjDsoaq.jpg.gif
No we have someone being paid to coach and filling the position--there IS a difference.

I agree, as I've said in other posts. However, it's not necessarily his fault that this was leaked. And you can't blame him for interviewing for the opening, in private, if he's interested.
Probably just snoopy reporters feeding us tidbit hungry uber fans. Would likely only be a Walz leak if, as some suspect, it's all a bid for a raise. Whatever, I wish it could have been kept quiet so it doesn't risk distracting his players.

VN Store

Back