Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
210e3e561cca589da0c72cffd69b2749.gif
Yipes

What does the NCAA have to do with Bryce Drew getting fired for going 0-19 in conference?
Well if you follow Bilas, you know he’s like THE voice against NCAA hypocrisy and the idea that athletes can’t get paid because they are students first and that should be the priority.

So what he’s making a comment on is the fact that Vanderbilt could make a decision to pay millions of dollars for a buyout on a boaderline coach while other schools make the decision to support coaches with off the court baggage.

Basically he’s just pointing out that academics/off the court issues are only important when paying players comes up.

I filled in at a walk in clinic for a doc I know. When he asked me I was like sure man no problem. Then I realized that was first day of the tournament. He’s such a good guy I couldn’t tell him no. All day yesterday I was listening to sniffles complaints thinking about basketball. I’m like you’re not sick. You have allergies. Don’t you know the damn tournament is on? Lesson learned. Never again
Didn't they teach you that allergies are worse than being sick? Are you my doctor?

Well if you follow Bilas, you know he’s like THE voice against NCAA hypocrisy and the idea that athletes can’t get paid because they are students first and that should be the priority.

So what he’s making a comment on is the fact that Vanderbilt could make a decision to pay millions of dollars for a buyout on a boaderline coach while other schools make the decision to support coaches with off the court baggage.

Basically he’s just pointing out that academics/off the court issues are only important when paying players comes up.

For the most part I agree with the overall sentiment that universities, coaches, and plenty of staff are making a lot of money on the backs of the student athlete. But I'm so tired of the narrative being painted that these students aren't getting paid.

They are indirectly making tens of thousands of dollars each year/semester. Is it anywhere near what the coaches make? Absolutely Not. But I don't think the NCAA nor the Universities should be ponying up more money to pay student athletes, because it would almost immediately eliminate the majority of less popular sports having scholarships. What the NCAA needs to do is eliminate this BS that the student athlete can't get paid for their likeness.

It's really not an argument of amateur or professional that debate is long tired. NCAA is simply the farm system for the NBA & NFL, and should just stop pretending it has anything to do with "the game." And the NFL/NBA both have age restrictions for draft requirements for a reason. So if a kid is playing for Duke and making a few million from a Nike endorsement, why should the NCAA or Duke care? It's not impacting their bottom line at all.

For the most part I agree with the overall sentiment that universities, coaches, and plenty of staff are making a lot of money on the backs of the student athlete. But I'm so tired of the narrative being painted that these students aren't getting paid.

They are indirectly making tens of thousands of dollars each year/semester. Is it anywhere near what the coaches make? Absolutely Not. But I don't think the NCAA nor the Universities should be ponying up more money to pay student athletes, because it would almost immediately eliminate the majority of less popular sports having scholarships. What the NCAA needs to do is eliminate this BS that the student athlete can't get paid for their likeness.

It's really not an argument of amateur or professional that debate is long tired. NCAA is simply the farm system for the NBA & NFL, and should just stop pretending it has anything to do with "the game." And the NFL/NBA both have age restrictions for draft requirements for a reason. So if a kid is playing for Duke and making a few million from a Nike endorsement, why should the NCAA or Duke care? It's not impacting their bottom line at all.

Absolutely agree. But as long as the NCAA continues to limit the players while signing Billion dollar TV contracts they continue to look tone deaf and like hypocrites.

Absolutely agree. But as long as the NCAA continues to limit the players while signing Billion dollar TV contracts they continue to look tone deaf and like hypocrites.

Yeah I get that completely, I just don't get why a walk-on can get paid to make appearances and earn money off his name if he wants. When a kid on scholarship can't, that to me is ridiculous.

Yeah I get that completely, I just don't get why a walk-on can get paid to make appearances and earn money off his name if he wants. When a kid on scholarship can't, that to me is ridiculous.
Walk-ons can have jobs because they're not on scholarship

Agree that scholarship athletes are compensated much, much better than many act like. Especially when you consider the huge number of players who don’t have futures as a pro and will have real opportunities to get and use a degree.

Where I think things get murky is in the NCAA’s sometimes ridiculous restrictions on what players can do in their own time to off the field to make money. Part time jobs, YouTube channels, entrepreneurship, etc. are all strictly prohibited.

I get that many of those things could be abused by boosters or coaches to de-facto pay players/recruits. However, prohibiting someone from getting a part time job in the offseason to make some extra pocket change is very anti-capitalistic and un-American, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back