Williams named AP's SEC Player of Year

utvolpj

Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Vols' Williams named AP's SEC Player of Year

Williams earned unanimous first-team all-SEC honors for a second straight season. The 14-member media panel also voted Arkansas' Daniel Gafford, Kentucky's PJ Washington, LSU's Tremont Waters and Mississippi State's Quinndary Weatherspoon to the first team.

The second team includes Tennessee teammates Jordan Bone and Admiral Schofield, Auburn's Jared Harper, South Carolina's Chris Silva and Ole Miss' Breein Tyree. Harper also earned second-team all-SEC honors last year.

Williams is the first Volunteer selected as AP player of the year since Chris Lofton in 2007. The only other Vols selected as AP players of the year since the award started in 1965 are Ron Widby (1967), Bernard King (1976 and 1977), Ernie Grunfeld (1977), Dale Ellis (1982 and 1983) and Ron Slay (2003.) King and Grunfeld were named co-players of the year in 1977.

He’s a monster on the court no doubt and I couldn’t be happier for Grant (and UT....free pub for the school). The only negative I have about him is I think he begs for calls too much. He definitely gets banged around down low and gets mugged going up for shots in the paint, but there have been plenty of plays this year where he’s looking for that “NBA foul” and it comes across to me as him whining to the referees. Hey, if it helps him get a call once in a while that’s fine, but the reason I hate the NBA is because they all act like that. Just wish he (and Schofield too on occasion) would let the ticky tack stuff go and move on to the next play.

He’s a monster on the court no doubt and I couldn’t be happier for Grant (and UT....free pub for the school). The only negative I have about him is I think he begs for calls too much. He definitely gets banged around down low and gets mugged going up for shots in the paint, but there have been plenty of plays this year where he’s looking for that “NBA foul” and it comes across to me as him whining to the referees. Hey, if it helps him get a call once in a while that’s fine, but the reason I hate the NBA is because they all act like that. Just wish he (and Schofield too on occasion) would let the ticky tack stuff go and move on to the next play.
Agree he " talks" to refs too Much, however, I'm completely baffled at how a two-time POY doesn't actually get more calls. If he was at KY , he would be going to the line 12-15 times a game easily

Today, I'm choosing to just enjoy the award and the honor given Grant without critiquing his negatives. What a great representative of the university.

I don't mind him putting that bug in the ref's ear to watch out for stuff the other team is doing. Bad enough they let him get mugged, knocked down, elbowed in the face, and hooked and held with no calls (often with the game on the line), or have a foul called on him for hitting the other guy in the elbow with his chin.

dale Ellis and Bernie. Also Yante Maten was th AP POY last year
I think Corliss Williamson did it also

Edit: Never mind, maybe I’m thinking of the SEC player of the year as voted on by the coaches, not the AP. Or I could be wrong altogether. 😂

Grant has grown-up conversations with the refs, pre-game and all throughout. He's articulate and has a likable disposition. "How's the kids?" "Hope you make your flight." "It's a little warm in here, isn't it?" "He got all elbow on my last shot, just sayin." In a rough and tumble game full of questionable characters, Grant is a full-blown Renaissance Man.

If he ever even got close to getting a technical one might question his interactions with the refs. But since that's never been the case...I think all is well.

Can’t remember what thread it was a couple weeks ago where we predicted the All-SEC team, COY, and 6th MOY.

I got 9 of 10 correct, and would still argue for Terrance Davis over Breein Tyree, but I have no complaints about Tyree making it. He’d have been my 11th man on the team.

Kermit Davis as COY is puzzling. I get Ole Miss improved substantially, but they still finished tied for 6th in a 14-team league, barely over .500, but with 20 wins, overall. I felt like Barnes was maybe more deserving from a results standpoint. I have a tough time rewarding mediocrity, but since the media predicted OM to finish last, foolishly perhaps, they owe it to them to eat crow.

Agree he " talks" to refs too Much, however, I'm completely baffled at how a two-time POY doesn't actually get more calls. If he was at KY , he would be going to the line 12-15 times a game easily
No doubt about that. I guarantee you when the big dance starts he will magically start going to the line more often.🤣

Outstanding!

What Barnes has done with the teams here at Tennessee is great. He is the best at player development we have had. These 5 star guys are making a good decision to come here and play.

Can’t remember what thread it was a couple weeks ago where we predicted the All-SEC team, COY, and 6th MOY.

I got 9 of 10 correct, and would still argue for Terrance Davis over Breein Tyree, but I have no complaints about Tyree making it. He’d have been my 11th man on the team.

Kermit Davis as COY is puzzling. I get Ole Miss improved substantially, but they still finished tied for 6th in a 14-team league, barely over .500, but with 20 wins, overall. I felt like Barnes was maybe more deserving from a results standpoint. I have a tough time rewarding mediocrity, but since the media predicted OM to finish last, foolishly perhaps, they owe it to them to eat crow.

I'm guessing the coaches voted on the team after the news broke last week on Wiretap Will Wade? I think Wade had a better case for Coach of Year than Barnes or Davis until the news broke. If the coaches voted on this honor BEFORE the story broke, I think it's an indication that Wade isn't liked by other SEC coaches.

Bernard was POY all three years he was here. Shared it with Ernie in '77

Pete Maravich was 3x as well, but not as a freshman since they weren't eligible. Had Bernard not declared hardship and left a year early he could have been the only 4x SEC POY. Instead he's one of two 3x winners.

Reactions: 1985Vols
I'm guessing the coaches voted on the team after the news broke last week on Wiretap Will Wade? I think Wade had a better case for Coach of Year than Barnes or Davis until the news broke. If the coaches voted on this honor BEFORE the story broke, I think it's an indication that Wade isn't liked by other SEC coaches.
Yes, I agree. Wade was in line for it, most likely, until he wet himself. And I have no doubt he is disliked by other coaches.

VN Store

Back