Game Thread: Lady Vols vs Miss St : ,, SEC tournament - Round II

I hope we can keep it close, I think a loss under 10 points still helps our NCAA chances. I do not think this is a winnable game at this point though. We cannot defend them well enough to overcome a 10 point deficit. Just not able to get enough stops.

Holly ruined our rhythm when she started substituting and then never called a time out when we were losing momentum and focus. That is unacceptable even for an inexperienced coach. I want these players to be able to extend their season, but Warlick does not deserve to coach in the NCAA Tornament.

No matter how the team tries, no matter how much they fight, or how big a shot someone hits, they always have enough completely clueless plays like that inbounds turnover to make you think there's no focus at all.
Reminds me of the men's basketball team under Jerry Green

Reactions: feathersax
The LadyVols have no basketball IQ

I tend to believe they do. They need a hard nosed coach who emphasizes fundamentals and confidence. They seem to get rattled with pressure to win. I so hope a coaching change is made after this season.... these ladies deserve a chance to develop at this level. Sadly, they aren't getting that chance/knowledge with this current staff

Reminds me of the men's basketball team under Jerry Green

Ah, fair! Jerry's teams always had some pretty good talent but never had any composure come crunch time. So frustrating to follow those teams. And in thinking about them it's ironic to consider just how much Tennessee fans feared Rick Barnes would just mail it in on his way to retirement (which is exactly what Jerry Green did), versus what Rick actually came in and accomplished.

Lady Vols have outscored them this quarter. Except for the turnovers, Lady Vols are playing well. Perhaps ...?

The players are actually playing quite well, unfortunately they're not getting any help from their coach. They needed a timeout in the second quarter to re-group and she let them flounder. That is so hard on a young team's confidence.

Later, after we lose Holly will blame them in the post game presser and complain about having to "coach effort." I see plenty of effort, just no direction, which is on her.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
The LVs have to lead the country in TOs. 18 TOs in less than 3 qtrs is inexcusable. The lack of discipline kills Holly's teams. Every. Damn. Year.

There's always a few passes that people make which have no chance of ending in a good result. And a few passes that players aren't anticipating. And a few passes too far ahead of a player in a transition. A few passes that don't put the receiving player in a good position. And a few just straight giveaways. It's astounding to see how consistent Tennessee has been at committing those sorts of errors. One could be forgiven for thinking that many of those situations are coachable -- and conversely, that many of those situations are caused by the team not knowing what they're supposed to do.

VN Store

Back