Vince Dooley discusses UGA/UT schedule change

Florida typically doesnt make us look like a middle school team when playing them. Saban usually takes it easy on us. If he wanted to, he could easily beat us by 5-6 TDs every year. UF isn't nearly that good. Plus, especially in the more recent years, we have beaten ourselves more than UF has beaten us.

Coming back to this post, has the Alabama loss been the most embarrassing/painful loss in any of the last 10 years?

I honestly can't think of a year where Alabama was the most embarrassing/painful loss. You're buddy "Botch" almost beat'um in 15!

Coming back to this post, has the Alabama loss been the most embarrassing/painful loss in any of the last 10 years?

I honestly can't think of a year where Alabama was the most embarrassing/painful loss. You're buddy "Botch" almost beat'um in 15!
The 2009 game was pretty bad. They did everything they could to hand is that one at the end.

TSiO is a special time for me.

Ain't hardly anyone beating them and I haven't heard them crying.

They have been 1 of 4 to 8 teams beating our ass the past 10 years and Florida keeps us out of Atlanta more than Bama does, let's cry and see if we can just drop them. Vandy and SC have hurt my feelers more than Alabama has the last few years.

If I had my way it wouldn't even be allowed to be discussed. You'd be banned for asking such a dumb querstion.

I am ok with rotating Bama but when we play them every year and other teams like GA play cupcakes it does impact us.
Our schedule is just brutal.
No one other than us plays GA, Bama, FL every single year.
These are the teams that 99% of the time win the their division.
I just feel everyone should be on rotation so there is an even spread.
I mean one year we played FL, Ga, LSU, and Bama. Come on that is messed up. There isn't a single team in America who is running that gauntlet and coming out of it unscathed.

Florida typically doesnt make us look like a middle school team when playing them. Saban usually takes it easy on us. If he wanted to, he could easily beat us by 5-6 TDs every year. UF isn't nearly that good. Plus, especially in the more recent years, we have beaten ourselves more than UF has beaten us.

So why not just take the one sure fire automatic loss off the schedule?

Why not just get better and beat their azz?

I am ok with rotating Bama but when we play them every year and other teams like GA play cupcakes it does impact us.
I mean one year we played FL, Ga, LSU, and Bama. Come on that is messed up. There isn't a single team in America who is running that gauntlet and coming out of it unscathed.
Auburn has a pretty tough annual slate, I'll give them that. Bama, Georgia, and LSU every year plus the also-rans of the west are usually tougher outs than the also-rans of the east.

Reactions: bamawriter
Honest question.....why?
Do you enjoy watching us lose?
Knowing we will lose?
Maybe things will change and we can go back to beating them 7 years in a row again but lately it’s just not been any fun.
Are you such a defeatist in other aspects of your life? Grow a set buddy.

Reactions: jarnol32
The 2009 game was pretty bad. They did everything they could to hand is that one at the end.
Thought about that one, but for me it was Urban slapping us around after Kiffin running his mouth. Ole Miss was bad.

But my point was he mad a big deal about how "Florida typically doesnt make us look like a middle school team when playing them"... We make a field goal in 2009 and Bama and Nick Saban, who "usually takes it easy on us. If he wanted to, he could easily beat us by 5-6 TDs every year" goes down.

And even the bigger point, if we had won, we still don't go to Atlanta.

My opinion on this is firm unless we start beating Vanderbilt, Missouri and South Carolina.... Not to mention Georgia and Florida, and losing to Alabama is a major obstacle that keeps us from the SECCG.

Lol, you're okay with rotating Bama...well, I guess that's good.

Arkansas plays Auburn, Alabama, LSU and A&M every year. Wanna trade with'um?

Auburn plays Alabama, Georgia, LSU and A&M every year. Wanna trade with them?

I'm fine. Pruitt gets things going like we hope and all the crying will stop and nobody will care about big ole Bama.

This whining about Alabama beating us every year chaps my arse. In the 1990's/2000's there were literally articles stating exactly the same thing but 180 degrees. It isn't a rivalry anymore... Why should we continue it when it's become so one sided?

All of these were myopic and short sighted as are the people saying the same thing today. Anybody following this rivalry until the anomaly of the last 12 yrs or so knows it has been very cyclical. And will be again.

This same "we need to stop playing them because they beat us every year" mentality gets you making tests easier so more can pass them, and everybody gets a trophy. You are basically wanting outcome based scheduling without addressing the real issue at hand. Good luck with that...

We need to improve to a truly competitive level period. Everything else will take care of itself.

Reactions: jarnol32
There is zero chance the SEC goes to 9 games. Zero.

There is a good chance that at least one of the conferences that currently plays 9 games will announce they are moving back to 8 in the next two years.

I think if the TV stations can make money on it, fans want it, and king Saban wants it, there is more than a zero percent chance. It's not really that far-fetched of an idea.

I think if the TV stations can make money on it, fans want it, and king Saban wants it, there is more than a zero percent chance. It's not really that far-fetched of an idea.

I would rather keep it at 8 conference games and ideally the P5 get together and set up a schedule where the other 4 games are a rotation with the other P5 conferences. Maybe 3 games and let everyone have that 1 tune-up cupcake.

You're assuming that's what TV wants. It's not. Moving to 9 conference games would eliminate 7 TV games from the schedule for the season. Doesn't matter that most of those would be cake games, the SEC Network sells a per-game package and that's 7 less games that would be a part of it. Less total revenue.

It would also lessen the incentive for a second quality non-conference or neutral site game. Think about Georgia or SC that has a permanent ACC rival. Currently, they play an 8-game SEC schedule, 1 game against the ACC and then typically another Power 5 opponent and two cupcakes. Spoiler alert: If one of the four non-SEC games becomes a conference game, it's not going to be a cupcake that's eliminated to make room.

Are you such a defeatist in other aspects of your life? Grow a set buddy.

The level of stupid on this site is crazy high.
The portion of the fan base who prides itself on getting its teeth kicked in year after year because thry love playing the hardest teams possible is just idiotic.

Ohio state schedules cupcakes and constantly gets into the playoffs or a major bowl. There is a reason there are so many big ten teams still in the top 15 at year end who are trash...because they play no one.

You keep swinging your manhood card over there and let us run the gauntlet and barely make a bowl game while other teams figured out the system and actually schedule wisely.

This isn’t the NCAAM.
No one cares about your strength of schedule.
Notre Dam proves that.

The level of stupid on this site is crazy high.
The portion of the fan base who prides itself on getting its teeth kicked in year after year because thry love playing the hardest teams possible is just idiotic.

Ohio state schedules cupcakes and constantly gets into the playoffs or a major bowl. There is a reason there are so many big ten teams still in the top 15 at year end who are trash...because they play no one.

You keep swinging your manhood card over there and let us run the gauntlet and barely make a bowl game while other teams figured out the system and actually schedule wisely.

This isn’t the NCAAM.
No one cares about your strength of schedule.
Notre Dam proves that.

You're goofy.

You're goofy.

And you are stuck in fantasy land.

No one cares who we play other than a fan base stuck in the past holding onto rivalries.

All the country sees is wins or losses.

And you are stuck in fantasy land.

No one cares who we play other than a fan base stuck in the past holding onto rivalries.

All the country sees is wins or losses.

That's obviously untrue. The biggest games get the biggest ratings. Fans all over the country clearly care who is playing whom.

VN Store

Back