'19 NC RB Quavaris Crouch (Tennessee signee)

The 98 defense held Florida to 17. The 97 one gave up 33 to Florida. The 97 defense got obliterated by Nebraska. That “nasty” 97 defense in the SECCG gave up 29 to a one-dimensional Auburn offense. Were it not for the late-game heroics of Manning and Nash, that team loses the SEC championship to an inferior Auburn team and that would have been on the defense. Hard to think of a single game in 97 when the defense played as well as the 98 defense played on average.

I get what you’re saying about their speed and talent. But they underperformed. And performance is what matters. The 98 defense had “it.” They performed. The 97 defense did not. Probably cost Manning a Heisman.

Agree with most here but our offense had 6 turnovers in that 97 seccg. Cant put all those 29 points on the defense.

The 98 defense held Florida to 17. The 97 one gave up 33 to Florida. The 97 defense got obliterated by Nebraska. That “nasty” 97 defense in the SECCG gave up 29 to a one-dimensional Auburn offense. Were it not for the late-game heroics of Manning and Nash, that team loses the SEC championship to an inferior Auburn team and that would have been on the defense. Hard to think of a single game in 97 when the defense played as well as the 98 defense played on average.

I get what you’re saying about their speed and talent. But they underperformed. And performance is what matters. The 98 defense had “it.” They performed. The 97 defense did not. Probably cost Manning a Heisman.
The Offense turned the ball over time and again in the ‘97 SECCG

I’m goin with saying whatever is better in ‘97 but no way can I understand anyone taking them over ‘98 when it matters. I’d take that defense against the football monstars.

It was essentially the same base players in ‘98.

The ‘97 squad had Leonard Little too. I’ll take Little. JMO.

Reactions: WeeohdeeWood
Alright. Since we’re talking Defense.

All-Time Starting 11:

DE - Reggie White
DT - John Henderson
DT - Albert Haynesworth
DE - Doug Atkins

OLB - Steve Kiner
MLB - Al Wilson
OLB - Leonard Little

CB - Dale Carter
SS - Eric Berry
FS - Deon Grant
CB - Bobby Majors

All-Time Starting 11:

DE - Reggie White
DT - John Henderson
DT - Albert Haynesworth
DE - Derek Barnett

OLB - Jerad Mayo
MLB - Al Wilson
OLB - Leonard Little

CB - Dale Carter
SS - Eric Berry
FS - Deon Grant
CB - Terry Fair

Reactions: ChiTownVol
All-Time Starting 11:

DE - Reggie White
DT - John Henderson
DT - Albert Haynesworth
DE - Derek Barnett

OLB - Jerad Mayo
MLB - Al Wilson
OLB - Leonard Little

CB - Dale Carter
SS - Eric Berry
FS - Deon Grant
CB - Terry Fair

Hard to argue against Barnett, even though Adkins was probably the more dominant player.

Same for Jerod Mayo, though he never made an All-American Team.

I can’t sign off on Fair being the other Corner though. Too many other good DB’s. JMO.

What’s the story here?
It was a Sports Talk hoax in Chattanooga on 102.3 back in the late 90's-early 2000's (not sure if it was any more widespread than that?)... the myth kept building more and more as signing day came, then we learned he never existed hahaha... good times

All-Time Starting 11:

DE - Reggie White
DT - John Henderson
DT - Albert Haynesworth
DE - Derek Barnett

OLB - Jerad Mayo
MLB - Al Wilson
OLB - Leonard Little

CB - Dale Carter
SS - Eric Berry
FS - Deon Grant
CB - Terry Fair
Must be 15 years old with no history of Tennessee football.

Reactions: peaygolf
Hard to argue against Barnett, even though Adkins was probably the more dominant player.

Same for Jerod Mayo, though he never made an All-American Team.

I can’t sign off on Fair being the other Corner though. Too many other good DB’s. JMO.

I'm a Barnett fan, but if they kept track of sacks in Atkins day, he wouldn't be close to that record.

Top 10 of all time? Thats a stretch.

It ain't much of a stretch, especially on the defensive side. They didn't keep those vaunted stats of modern players, but some translate. Look into him and his career and you'll see why there's no way Barnett or Reggie, both of whom I'm a big fan of, should be considered over him. The dude was a nightmare.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
"I don't like your opinion so I'm going to take a shot at you."

Sorry that we haven't all been fans since 1891, Pops! Make sure to watch that gate so no more young fans get in!
He might need a wall or physical barrier, just as long as its beautiful though.

VN Store

Back