Haslam Pulling Pilot Flying J Sponsorship From ESPN and SEC

I stoped going to PJ until it was an inconvenience to me. Then, well, I went there instead of running out of gas.

With the way ESPN is showing so little love for Vol Basketball, Who blames em for pulling their money?

Honestly, is anybody gonna go to PJ because they see PJ’s logo and ads on ESPN?

How often do TV commercials work?

Last edited:
I stoped going to PJ until it was an inconvenience to me. Then, well, I went there instead of running out of gas.

With the way ESPN is showing so little love for Vol Basketball, Who blames em for pulling their money?

I just hate ESPN so I'm good with this.

Both these stories are nearly identical in their reporting. They both use terms "after the story ran" which is a timeline and not a definite relationship. Both use the infamous "sources", as in unnamed sources. These are two infamous reporting schemes used when reporters don't have verifiable proof, but only coincedence or heresay.

These guys are careful to not report this story as FACT. If they do, then they open themselves up to libel ri$k. So, knowing most readers don't have time to look critically, they use a "factual" timeline and "unnamed sources". That protects thier job, says what they suspect but can't prove, and 99% of readers get the same narrative.

All that being said, I have no idea WHY Pilot/FJ decided to do this. These articles all may be spot on in their obvious "narrative". If they are full of 100% shart. If we find out later something totally different, then everyone will forget this anyway and the lawyers can't win a libel suit against them.

Media is not to be trusted.

Last edited:
Why shouldn’t he pull the sponsorship? I don’t understand the criticism. Dumb move by ESPN, IMO.

PFJ can do anything they want. They have that right. That being said, IF( a big if btw) this narrative is actually true, then shareholders might be a little skittish @ this. Think @ it. When you're investing, you're looking for solid MGMT that positions the company in the best places to make money. If the majority shareholder overrides major marketing decisions based on his own fragile ego, then most would question it. The bigger question is "what other decisions will be made based on 1 guy's ego"?

Warren Buffet's group has a big stake in PFJ. I doubt (could be wrong) that they would look at a sports opinion piece as a good reason to upset a major marketing campaign. Just guessing.

I quit my sponsorship of Pilot/Flying J years ago long before this agreement with ESPN/SEC. I will never give them one penny of my money again.

Like it or not, the Haslam family has given more money to the UT football program than most of us could dream of. They may get a little too involved in athletic decisions sometimes, and may not always be on the good side of said decisions at that, but you can’t deny that our program (facilities, etc) wouldn’t be what it is without their support.

Now, pulling a $4 million sponsorship in response to a negative op-ed is a bit crybaby-ish (and as some would say, Trump-esque), but he fact is: it’s their money, and they can do with it what they want. ESPN made their bed, now they have to lay in it.

Oh, and yes, pulling the sponsorship money was definitely in response to the article. FACT.

PFJ can do anything they want. They have that right. That being said, IF( a big if btw) this narrative is actually true, then shareholders might be a little skittish @ this. Think @ it. When you're investing, you're looking for solid MGMT that positions the company in the best places to make money. If the majority shareholder overrides major marketing decisions based on his own fragile ego, then most would question it. The bigger question is "what other decisions will be made based on 1 guy's ego"?

Warren Buffet's group has a big stake in PFJ. I doubt (could be wrong) that they would look at a sports opinion piece as a good reason to upset a major marketing campaign. Just guessing.

Major sponsorship? Yes. In excess of $4 million annually. But way overpriced when you consider the total value of it.

I’d much rather see them put $4 million back into the football program!

I don't blame the Haslams for pulling their money. I don't see them denying anything ESPN said though. Since I don't really care for either, win/win as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: cardvolfan
From ESPN and SEC.

Full Article

I think most of us would agree that we would be ok with the Haslam's following and giving money to another team! Charlie Ergen making up the deficiency and then some would be ok with the fan base as well as never seeing the Haslam's near the UT program again. Jimmy can't seem to get it right with the Browns. It seems as though the Haslams' have done more bad than good for UT over the recent years. I personally hope Fulmer has Ergen in his back pocket and can tell the Haslam's they aren't dictating **** anymore as far as UT Athletics is concerned!!! =)

Charlie might be having his own issues with Dish. His 4th quarter numbers sucked and he has a deadline for his 5g network looming.

I don't blame the Haslams for pulling their money. I don't see them denying anything ESPN said though. Since I don't really care for either, win/win as far as I'm concerned.

Yep...and we had a reasonably good signing day and Bama got the crap kicked out of them earlier. It must be Christmas.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
Like it or not, the Haslam family has given more money to the UT football program than most of us could dream of. They may get a little too involved in athletic decisions sometimes, and may not always be on the good side of said decisions at that, but you can’t deny that our program (facilities, etc) wouldn’t be what it is without their support.

Now, pulling a $4 million sponsorship in response to a negative op-ed is a bit crybaby-ish (and as some would say, Trump-esque), but he fact is: it’s their money, and they can do with it what they want. ESPN made their bed, now they have to lay in it.

Oh, and yes, pulling the sponsorship money was definitely in response to the article. FACT.

1. The TDS is strong.
2. As has been pointed out numerous times, nobody knows if this is a 'fact', so to be so arrogant as to believe you have all the information is ridiculous. It should be embarrassing. But I doubt you're capable of feeling embarrassed.

ESPN's been struggling for a lot of reasons. Their viewership is hit or miss. They're losing the key young-to-middle-aged male demographic. It is just as likely that the folks at PFJ weren't seeing the returns from the marketing campaign they expected. Maybe it was too expensive for what they were getting. And maybe it's that combined with the story.

Either way, nobody knows and the story's, and many posters', assumptions are dubious at best.

I took an advertising class in college in SoCal back in the day. The guy teaching it had just been named the President of Marketing USA for a laughingly weird Korean company called Hyundai that was going to sell Korean cars in the USA. Few in our class thought he would ever do anything but teach. One of the very first things he asked by having us show hands, was how many of us thought we were heavily influenced by advertising across all the forms of media. I don't recall seeing a single hand raised. He then asked the question in a different way. How many of you believe Ford, GM, Quaker Oats, Kelloggs, Levis, Nike, Budweiser, and hundreds of other companies spend hundreds of billions of dollars per year on something that does not influence you at all? Perhaps one hard core hand went up but it was not mine. That you ask the query do television commercials work, the verdict on that query via data has been and remains in place today and it is a decided yes. That one believes it or not makes no difference at all to their being affected, highly affected.

Reactions: clarencepeabody
1. The TDS is strong.
2. As has been pointed out numerous times, nobody knows if this is a 'fact', so to be so arrogant as to believe you have all the information is ridiculous. It should be embarrassing. But I doubt you're capable of feeling embarrassed.

ESPN's been struggling for a lot of reasons. Their viewership is hit or miss. They're losing the key young-to-middle-aged male demographic. It is just as likely that the folks at PFJ weren't seeing the returns from the marketing campaign they expected. Maybe it was too expensive for what they were getting. And maybe it's that combined with the story.

Either way, nobody knows and the story's, and many posters', assumptions are dubious at best.

In retrospect, calling it an absolute fact was presumptuous. I didn’t speak to the CEO himself.

KNS doing it's thing.

The ONLY news in this piece is "FJ pulls deal from ESPN/SEC 2yrs into 4 yr deal". That's ALL the news here folks. Besides some rehashed historical and personal info. It does NOT say FJ did this because of the negative Haslam article. Read this slyly worded story again and you'll see what I mean. The writer just says "it comes after" that article was published. Well, it's come after 9 million other events too. In other words, we have no idea W-H-Y Pilot/FJ exited this deal early. KNS/Gannett/USAToday can be trusted no more than Haslam or ESPN.

On a related point. If a company I was invested in had skin so thin as to pull a major marketing campaign over 1 negative article about the top shareholder's performance in another company ... I would be seriously worried about the future decision making of that company. We have zero information as to the reason for this change folks.

I'm not going to jump on the KNS' "Haslam is butt hurt" narrative bandwagon here.

Bought a lot of ocean front property in Arizona have ya?

I don't get all the ESPN hate. Every fanbase whines that ESPN hates them. Personally, I like that I've been able to watch every UT basketball game this season thanks to ESPN...and every football game that's not on CBS is on an ESPN network.

I couldn't care less about the other shows. I just watch ESPN for the live games.

Well Boca, maybe if you watched more than just the live games you'd "get all the hate". :)

I'm not falling for this. :)

I promised to behave! No amount of baiting will work!!!

images

VN Store

Back