Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Dobbs would play for Memphis because of its affiliation with Tennessee. I haven’t read much into it, but it seems most former Vols will play for Memphis if they play in the AAF.

Dobbs has too much going for him in the league, at least that's how it seems to me. Pittsburgh fans liked him from preseason play, and IMO he could be like how Matt Schaub was backing up Vick back in the day-- kind of a best kept secret kind of thing. Bray is more AAF caliber, which isn't a knock on him, just the bar for starting in the NFL is so high, and he's perpetual third string. Bray would kiiiill it against these plebs.

When frustration morphs into hopelessness:

From WildcatNation:

At the risk of sounding overly negative, let me say that, for me, this was a disappointing class. I think this is especially true in light of the season that we just had. And, I do not buy into the idea that there will be a delayed reaction and that we should reap some benefits of the ten-win season NEXT year. Even when Rich Brooks was WINNING three straight bowls, we did not see much of a recruiting bump.

Yes, we picked up some nice takent. We picked a 4-star DB today and some big-time, 4-star talent out of the city of Louisville. We got a great 4-star legacy recruit. That is not to be taken lightly. But, we missed out on 3 4-star recruits today. Big deal, you say. But, one wore UK gloves In his HS championship game. Another actually committed earlier in the process and the third said he “fell in love with Kentucky” on his official visit. These were not random recruits. These were legit targets. These hurt. Then, we lose a 4-star, in-state playmaker to friggin’ Nebraska, of all places. Not to another SEC school, not to UofLor Purdue or West Virginia, not to Ohio State or Cincy, but to Nebraska! That should never happen.

I know we will be alright. And, I know this is not a BAD class. But, it is still only 12th or 13th in the SEC. We have been to 3 Straight bowls. We have won 24 games over the last 3 years. We have, what, 14 SEC wins over that time span. We have beaten UofL 2 out of 3 times. We have beaten UT and UF and MSU twice, we have a 5-game winning streak vs So Carolina. And, there is still no discernible recruiting bump.

I could not do Mark Stoops job, or Vince’s job. It would drive me crazy.

On a related note, I saw where UT signed two five star tackles, a four star linebacker and a four star safety. The article didn't say where they finished, but it did say they had a"fringe" top 10 class. All this from a school that has been way down the last few years.

More from Kentucky:

I thought about starting this thread the day after the bowl game, but thought I'd wait until there was sufficient interest. Based on some of the posts, in the bowl game thread, I believe there is now sufficient interest. This is the first time I can remember, in my 64 years of following UK fb, that I can look forward to the upcoming season w/o looking at the season that just concluded and not saying I hope next season is better than the last one. I realize this is going to be highly speculative and, probably, not very accurate because there are so many variables involved, but I'd like to hear from anyone, that wishes to comment, as to what you thoughts, expectations, etc. are for next season.
Kentucky is going to have to fight to win 6 games next year.

So much to replace. So many unknowns. A couple of electric talents in Bowden and Daniel (and maybe Rose), but I just don't like the roster if you look at it right now. I loved this year's roster and really felt like we were going to do something special. Next year, not so much. I just think it's going to be a struggle.

For the offense to be better Wilson will have to make a huge leap forward.

I thought he was abysmal in the bowl game. You didn't need him to do that much with the weapons around him but he almost couldn't even accomplish that. I saw very little improvement across the entire season if you think about where he started to the player he was on 1/1.

The most worrisome thing is how our secondary will be totally gutted. If you look back at this past season and think about the number of times those guys were in on plays virtually all over the field, to think that every single one of those players is gone is troubling.

Of course it has to be said that this past season I thought we could win 8. We won 10. So if you come into a season thinking you can win 6 and you get 8...well, that's how you start putting together a perennial player.

I'm skeptical that Kentucky can ever be that sort of program but then again I never thought we'd win double-digits. In my mind if you really compete for New Year's Days bowls every other year then you need to have a statue erected in your honor at a place like UK. The recruiting numbers are a bit deceiving when you've got a coaching staff with a knack for finding and developing talent (see Snell, Benny and Allen, Josh), but the recruiting numbers at UK don't really tell a story that suggests UK can keep this going every year. The worst-case scenario though would be a dip back to 4 or 5 wins. Personally I could live with 6 if I felt we were building for another run in '20.

I think that Kentucky will be bowl eligible, I just don't know how much (if any) more
EVERYBODY loses someone next year. Mississippi State a ton. Florida, Vanderbilt. Mizzou and SC all lose players.
I think Tennessee is gonna be the blessed crew with returning kids.
Wilson SHOULD be better by natural maturing. My concern if we are talking passing is an O-line that can pass protect as well as run block....and we haven't had that.

6-8 wins. NOT being bowl eligible would be a big concern given the trajectory of the program.

Losing the caliber of players like Josh Allen and Snell, there's no way to avoid a drop off next year.

Last edited:
I believe Dobbs would play for Memphis because of its affiliation with Tennessee. I haven’t read much into it, but it seems most former Vols will play for Memphis if they play in the AAF.
I was just using Dobbs as an example, not that Atlanta could get him.
That's the skill set Atlanta needs, someone quick and mobile.

Has anyone read the player distribution rules? How do we have Hack but Atlanta has a former UT QB?

Last edited:
Front seven was pretty impressive all things considered. And that secondary player (from LSU, Strible?) was making some plays. Also really like that LB they were bragging on. Deserved the praise by how he played-- think he forced both fumbles in back-to-back drives.

I just hate Hackenberg. Seems to be the textbook guy with zero intangibles. He put touch on passes that needed zip, over threw a couple others. Dude really freakin sucks.

I still remember Trent dilfer among others penciling him in as the #1 pick in the nfl draft. He was never good imo.

Front seven was pretty impressive all things considered. And that secondary player (from LSU, Strible?) was making some plays. Also really like that LB they were bragging on. Deserved the praise by how he played-- think he forced both fumbles in back-to-back drives.

I just hate Hackenberg. Seems to be the textbook guy with zero intangibles. He put touch on passes that needed zip, over threw a couple others. Dude really freakin sucks.
Yeah Hackenberg appears to be a practice warrior, but folds in actual games. This league is setup for QB's to be successful. Only being able to rush 5, with restrictions should be good for a QB. Especially if they are able to make quick reads. Hackenberg was doing none of that.

Reactions: ChismsHeadband
I was just using Dobbs as an example, not that Atlanta could get him.
That's the skill set Atlanta needs, someone quick and mobile.

Has anyone read the player distribution rules? How do we have Hack but Atlanta has a former UT QB?
I was wondering that too. Is Simms that much better?

I keep seeing people and media stating how good Holly is at recruiting - yet - they go deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole by having players who lack quickness and shooting skills. The post play is ludicrous, might as well have tree stumps out there. The ball handling guards are slowwwwwwww. The #3 and #4 type players are everywhere on that roster. Other than the oft injured and erratic Jackson, they have one real #2 (Westbrook), who sat the bench yesterday for not going to class.

Add in the lack of collegiate level, much less elite level, offensive sets and having 8 years to figure it out. Just go, Holly.

I keep seeing people and media stating how good Holly is at recruiting - yet - they go deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole by having players who lack quickness and shooting skills. The post play is ludicrous, might as well have tree stumps out there. The ball handling guards are slowwwwwwww. The #3 and #4 type players are everywhere on that roster. Other than the oft injured and erratic Jackson, they have one real #2 (Westbrook), who sat the bench yesterday for not going to class.

Add in the lack of collegiate level, much less elite level, offensive sets and having 8 years to figure it out. Just go, Holly.
Initially I was one who wanted to give Holly more time but that is over. I watched some of the game yesterday and YIKES!!
Discombobulated comes to mind and that is on coaching.. If Phil doesn't make a change it is over for Lady Vols. No more elite recruits and probably a mass exodus of existing star players.
Hoping she just announces that this year is her last.. GBO

Initially I was one who wanted to give Holly more time but that is over. I watched some of the game yesterday and YIKES!!
Discombobulated comes to mind and that is on coaching.. If Phil doesn't make a change it is over for Lady Vols. No more elite recruits and probably a mass exodus of existing star players.
Hoping she just announces that this year is her last.. GBO

Obviously poor coaching, but my biggest gripe is they don't compete. I watched one of the freshman basically just run beside a girl who went in for a layup. Didn't even try to get in front or stop the shot. Just watched. Plays like this happen over and over and Holly always has that frustrated look on her face but never corrects the situation. I would much rather have a walkon play that cares and gives effort than watching this bunch. We are losing by 30 anyway so what would be the difference.

band man butch was a good recruiter, also.

see where that got us?

Yes, thank you!! It’s time.

Three ADs have waited too long on the LVs. The program's going over the cliff-- just like football.

If they move right after the season's over, and they hire a proven winner, they can get back to competing as quickly as next season. We have some pieces in place.

If Phil gives Holly another year, it will be football program 2.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back