'20 NC DL Jacolbe Cowan (in portal)

“It was great. I had a great experience,” said Cowan, who’s ranked the No. 55 overall prospect and No. 6 strongside defensive end in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite for the 2020 class. “It definitely lived up to the hype. I was hearing a lot about the atmosphere from just other players and then just people on the staff, so it was definitely exciting to see.”

The 6-foot-5, 265-pound Cowan said he was impressed by “just the fans” at Tennessee. While a less-than-capacity crowd attended Saturday’s game, he said he was impressed by “the fans and then how packed Neyland gets, and just how loud it is. It’s very loud throughout the game,” he said. “It was a great experience. You can definitely see the progress that’s being made on both ends of the field — offensively and defensively,” Cowan said.

“Really, just starting to progress more, and I think, as the years go on and as time goes on, they’ll definitely get back to where they used to be, as far as being a top-tier program. But it’s definitely a building block, and Coach Pruitt’s told me — along with other coaches, like (defensive line) coach (Tracy) Rocker — that what happened (Saturday), it can change. “It’s going to take awhile for it to happen, but you can definitely see the progress being made.”

“They definitely have caught my attention. Since they really offered me and the new staff came in, I’ve been in contact with the coaching staff since then, so the communication really hasn’t fell off. “They definitely have made sure that I know I’m a priority to them.” Tight ends coach Brian Niedermeyer, who is serving as Cowan’s primary recruiter for Tennessee, “probably” talks with him the most among the Vols’ coaches, he said. But Cowan said he also talks with Pruitt “quite a lot,” and he has stayed in contact with Rocker and co-defensive coordinator Chris Rumph.

Cowan plans to make a decision before his senior season starts.

I really like the momentum we seem to have with this kid, even if it is early. I imagine it'll come down to us and Clemson for his commitment.

Reactions: griddie
Defensive lineman Jacolbe Cowan has been in the spotlight for a long time, but a top ten list could be coming in the next few weeks. Alabama and Georgia are locks to make that first cut, and teams like Ohio State, Tennessee, North Carolina, NC State, Michigan, Penn State, South Carolina, Clemson and a few others are in good shape to make that list, too. A decision from Cowan isn't close. He will take a number of visits in the spring, but he doesn't know where yet.
"I'm going to sit down with my family and narrow things down and talk to my family. Once my list comes out I'll consider those schools' priorities for my visits. I'll try to keep myself available to other schools."
-Rivals

Tennessee’s coaches are going to make landing an elite defensive end a priority in the 2020 cycle, and they’re among the early favorites for one of the top-rated prospects at that position right now.

Jacolbe Cowan is a high four-star defensive end out of Charlotte, North Carolina. He plays for Providence Day School and is considered one of the top defensive line prospects in the 2020 cycle. He recently listed his top schools, and Tennessee made the cut along with several in-state schools and top programs such as Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State, and others.

According to the 247Sports Composite rankings, Cowan is the No. 52 overall player and No. 5 strong-side defensive end in the 2020 class. He holds offers from over 30 different schools, but now he’s focusing on just the 12 he listed in his tweet.

Elite Defensive End Lists Vols Among Favorites | Rocky Top Insider

Let me say he has tremendous upside. Needs to play more through people, little more consistent. That all comes from basically being a basketball player for his entire life. He’s just now dedicating himself to football. He could bulk up to a 285 pound DE in 3-4 or a 300 DT.

Y’all sure Nieds isn’t talking about Payton Page? He tweeted out GBO and eyes about the same time as Nieds tweet.

Y’all sure Nieds isn’t talking about Payton Page? He tweeted out GBO and eyes about the same time as Nieds tweet.
Unlikely since he's a 2021 kid and a DT. His tweet referenced pass rushing which usually means DE, no?

Unlikely since he's a 2021 kid and a DT. His tweet referenced pass rushing which usually means DE, no?
DE or OLB... I think it's Cowan or Trenton Simpson. Apparently Cowan liked the tweet, and I believe we prefer Simpson at RB so that leads me to think the tweet was about Cowan.

VN Store

Back