The Official 2nd Amendment Appreciation Thread

There is that. But what is the markup on a gun show purchase of such a thing as opposed to the 10-20% (or more) markup on normal handguns and rifles?
My experience with gun shows for the most part you do pay more. I have occasionally gotten a deal from a private seller walking around. I saw an Anderson lower that I have paid no more than $39, for $99.

@DancingOutlaw

That wasn't a sarcastic response. I'm genuinely curious what the markup is on collector rifles at gun shows as compared to the "normal" market.
I think it really depends. I’ve gotten great deals on some, others you see $700 CMP Garands with $1k price tags. The market is much more fragmented than any new production segment. In other words dozens of people sell Colt LE carbines, but maybe one or two are selling a high grade Rockola carbine. The other problem is once a gun is off the market it’s not replaced by new production. From what I can tell a lot of the older milsurp guys go to Tulsa, Birmingham, Atlanta, etc. for showing off as you said but also to buy and sell.

Have not been to a show since Nashville ran BG off from the Fairgrounds. I miss the old days, pre-Clinton era when you'd go to shows and people would have pallets of Enfields, SKS and AKs. I remember buying SKS rifles 5 for $100. AKs may have been $50. Probably came straight from the battlefields of the Iran/Iraq war.

Reactions: BennesseeVols
They’ll beat you up if you’re not used to shooting them.
I had a buddy that had a S&W .44 Magnum. It was a long barrel stainless variety with the pachmayr grips. The grips would loosen up every time we put a cylinder through it and it would grab a piece of skin between the grips and frame and it hurt like hell.

They are nice and carry comfortably too.

I don't know why, but it tickles me that you are an old school wheel-gunner. Gotta respect that.

On the same vein, I take a lot of heat from the plastic gunners over my life-long affection for the 1911. Even though I confess to owning, and really liking, a G30S. Still, it's a .45. But my two 1911's are special to me.

Keep doing what you do. Keep the craft alive.

Reactions: DEFENDTHISHOUSE
I don't know why, but it tickles me that you are an old school wheel-gunner. Gotta respect that.

On the same vein, I take a lot of heat from the plastic gunners over my life-long affection for the 1911. Even though I confess to owning, and really liking, a G30S. Still, it's a .45. But my two 1911's are special to me.

Smith and Wesson wheel guns, 1911 pistols (Colt and Les Baer) Hi-power’s and Sig P226 and P220 Series are my handguns of choice. I also love the Beretta 92G and CZ75 series of pistols. I’ve always tried to be a student of weapon craft. After all, if you end up in a fight, there’s no guarantee that you’ll be fighting with your gun. So that deems you better know what’s out there and how it works. Just my opinion.

I have several glocks as well. They carry easy enough and are reliable. Also, if they get stolen out of the truck, you aren’t out of much.
I do have a lock box in the Tacoma to make getting to them by a ne’er-do-well a difficult task.

I grew up reading Col. Jeff Cooper, Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton and Clint Smith. Plus my Dad was a wheel gunner and I cut my teeth on his Smith and Wesson model 19 and colt 1911. Guns like that are meant to be handed down, Glocks, not so much.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreyWolf1129

Went shooting on my boss/bros land friday. Shot several AR15s in .223, a sig and palmetto which both had scopes that also had a laser dot in them...the sig was nicer. Also shot an AR10? In .308..same type scope, all 3 had fold up sights as well...huge huge difference in power amd recoil between the .223s and the .308. I was far more accurate with the sig. Also shot his binelli 12 gauge, it had never been fired and still had the crap in it so it would only hold 2 plus 1 in the pipe. Shot a bunch of pistols, he has a hammerless .38 that lools really cool but only has like a 3inch barrel. None of the 3 of us were even halfway accurate from more than 10 feet. It was ridiculous...i like wheel guns, but anything with a 3 inch barrel isnt going to be very accurate...that said, with a pocket. 380 rougly the same size, i have shot easily twice as accurate as that .38..not sure why.

By far my favorite, and my next purchase, will be a 5.7...
His was made in Belgium, and holds 20 basically rifle rounds. It surely has no knockdown power, but it is an absolute tack driver. Like a .22 rifle. Accuracy ends threats, and a single 5.7 round in the head will either kill a man or get him fleeing if somehow he didnt die..i am not nearly the marksman yall are, and the 1st time i shot this gun, from about 30 ft i put every single round in about a 6inch group...i ran 2 more magazines at 20rds each through it, and i am pretty confident that at 25 or 30 feet i could pick which eye to shoot a man in if he were standing still. Center mass or lung shots would be a joke. I couldnt miss without something really crazy happening. For a man like you GW that qualifies with several pistols, i bet you could shoot 2 inch groups from 30 to 40 feet all day. The most accurate pistol i have ever shot by far, though i must confess that i have never shot a long barrel .22 before and have always heard that they are tack drivers, too. From what my bro said, his was expensive though...GW , grand, others...do you know of an american 5.7 that is reasonably priced but well made? I am saving up starting now. I will own one. I know big pistols are better in many cases, but i am no marksman..and cant afford a bunch of ammo or range time to become one. I have a mossberg persuader 12 gauge if i need some thump. I will sleep well knowing that i can place rounds, rapidly with no barrel rise, pretty much wherever i want them inside 30 or 40 feet. Thanks for your input.

Went shooting on my boss/bros land friday....For a man like you GW that qualifies with several pistols, i bet you could shoot 2 inch groups from 30 to 40 feet all day. The most accurate pistol i have ever shot by far, though i must confess that i have never shot a long barrel .22 before and have always heard that they are tack drivers, too. Thanks for your input.

Well, first off let's set the record straight here. Yes, I qualify with several guns. Obviously my duty gun (Glock 22), then my HD AR so I can carry it on duty, then two (sometimes three) backup guns. The Glock, the Rock, and sometimes the Springfield. But "qualify" and "good shot" are two different things. Sometimes I shoot well, and sometimes I shoot again. So thanks for the props, but I wouldn't spend much time looking for YouTube videos of me doing wonderful things with a .45, or an AR.

I have heard that the 5.7 is a really nice, very accurate gun. That's about the limit of what I know about it. FN, right? Yeah, without even looking it up, I'd say those don't come cheap. Your best bet here is one of the "real" gunners who know what they're talking about. Now, if it's tactics on a traffic stop, gimme a shout. That I can help you with.

I remember the first time I shot my AR with the scope on it. Got it zeroed, and then shot a 10-shot group at 50 yards that was one ragged hole about .5" across. I'm all beaming until the retired Trooper that owns the place I shoot at looks at me and says "Yeah, with that scope you were shooting at a visual range of about 6 yards. Nice job, Tex." Kinda put me in my place.

Wife has a S&W Bodyguard .38 with the laser. I think the laser is just there as a visual "guide", 'cause outside of 10-15 yards it's all I can do to hit the target. Elmer Keith, I ain't. I work her at 5 yards...mall parking lot range, two targets, 3 and 2. One target, dump 3 and then look around for the driver. Simple stuff.

Glad you had fun. I spent the weekend trying to save a 14-year old fridge that was on it's last legs. New one arrives today, hence I am sitting at my computer this morning, having spent AR-level money on a Whirlpool.

But at least GV will be glad it's not a Colt.

:cool:

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
A lot was made about the 5.7 FN pistol. The gun grabbers even wanted to ban it outright because armor piercing ammo is out there in that caliber. However, it’s bonded ammo so it’s banned to the average citizen and only available to LE or military. It’s a great shooting pistol, and a very flat shooter with very little recoil. Capacity is great at 20 rounds. The safety is kinda weird being located forward on the pistol rather than being thumb activated. That’s simply a training issue that can be cured with lots of practice. Expect to pay a minimum of $1000 to get one. FN is usually very proud of their products, no exception here. Also, give the FN P90 PDW a look in the same caliber.

I can't add anything more than DTH did about the 5.7. I seriously doubt it'll ever be "mainstream" enough for ammo prices to come down significantly on it though. And that's a serious drawback.

I can't add anything more than DTH did about the 5.7. I seriously doubt it'll ever be "mainstream" enough for ammo prices to come down significantly on it though. And that's a serious drawback.

Not only that from what I've gathered it's WAY too much of a beeatch to reload for most people to be interested in doing so. I think bulk is .50 a shot and in something like that it adds up fast.

Now...that's not to say I wouldn't have one if the deal was good enough...but that's true with pretty much any caliber.

Five Seven is a niche caliber, I wouldn’t pin my home defense on it. As said above it’s not cheap to shoot, there’s not a ton of them out there so smith work or accessories will be harder to come by and more expensive. With a small amount of practice you can keep a .45 1911 in a 6 inch circle at 10 yards, and that’s a boat of a round to thump someone with. 9mm you can write your name with at 10 yards. 5.7 is supposed to have flat trajectory to 200 yards which is cool but really what practical effect does that have for the average shooter? I think you’d be better served buying a more affordable gun in a more common caliber and using the savings on practice ammo.

VN Store

Back