Game Thread: Tennessee versus Florida

We should win by 20, but will probably be closer. I would like to see this lineup play at least minutes to see how they do:
Massengill-1, Westbrook-2, Davis-3, Green-4,KK-5

We should win by 20, but will probably be closer. I would like to see this lineup play at least minutes to see how they do:
Massengill-1, Westbrook-2, Davis-3, Green-4,KK-5

been there done that against the good team and it has failed. Who will KK defend ? she is always caught trying to defend a wing player or guard. I`m not saying it`s not a good line up it`s just KK get`s into foul trouble early and fast.

Last edited:
been there done that against the good team and it has failed. Who will KK defend ? she is always caught trying to defend a wing player or guard. I`m not saying it`s not a good line up it`s just KK get`s into foul trouble early and fast.

KK will probably not start....Florida's 3 primaries are 5'10"(K Smith, play-maker), 5'10" (D Washington, best rebounder) and 5'8" ( F Nakkasoglu, 3 pt shooter 56/122=46%)

If Meme's not ready look for an all-forward/guard lineup....Ren,, Evi,, C Green, Zaay and Meme/Jazz. I would even go Rae or Mimi here before KK. I would get a lead and then put KK and Harris in to see if we can work on pounding it inside.

If we start with KK and have to go to a speedier lineup, it will put us "countering of personnel" moves instead of dictating the matchups.

Reactions: Ladyvol777
KK will probably not start....Florida's 3 primaries are 5'10"(K Smith, play-maker), 5'10" (D Washington, best rebounder) and 5'8" ( F Nakkasoglu, 3 pt shooter 56/122=46%)

If Meme's not ready look for an all-forward/guard lineup....Ren,, Evi,, C Green, Zaay and Meme/Jazz. I would even go Rae or Mimi here before KK. I would get a lead and then put KK and Harris in to see if we can work on pounding it inside.

If we start with KK and have to go to a speedier lineup, it will put us "countering of personnel" moves instead of dictating the matchups.
Makes sense. Has Massengill at point and Westbrook at the 2 been experimented with?

Doesn't your statement "KK will probably not start ..." (because of Florida's starting lineup) mean that we are already "countering personnel" before the game begins instead of "dictating the matchups" ?

Reactions: mlindsay
A game where even if were not shooting well should pound them on the boards and win by double digits. If we can't win this game close down the season.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Doesn't your statement "KK will probably not start ..." (because of Florida's starting lineup) mean that we are already "countering personnel" before the game begins instead of "dictating the matchups" ?

fla starting lineup is 5-8, 5-10, 5-10, 6-1 and 6-2 ...Starting five athletic 6 footers against such a team on the gitgo makes sense. KK is a defensive liability against undersized athletic post players...

Some things you have to do JUST because they make sense.

Should be another W by the end of the evening. Let’s see how we execute on both ends of the floor and how Holly reacts and coaches our players when they make mistakes, what adjustments need to be made in game.
My starting 5:
Westbrook
Zaay
Davis
London
KK

Thank You that`s what i said KK is gets tired fast when the other team go small KK is out of gas right off the back

Florida and Vandy are putrid. The next two games are absolute must wins for this team to make the tournament.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
fla starting lineup is 5-8, 5-10, 5-10, 6-1 and 6-2 ...Starting five athletic 6 footers against such a team on the gitgo makes sense. KK is a defensive liability against undersized athletic post players...

Some things you have to do JUST because they make sense.
I agree, it does make sense. Which should be the overriding factor and not the "countering personnel" or "dictating matchups" that were the reasons in your original post.

Just a quick note. To my knowledge, CJ does not set the LV starting line-up so his conjectures should not be taken as evidence that the LV's coaching staff are "not dictating the matchups." Holly's pregame quote suggests that KK is going to start:

Florida’s interior game has not fared as well. The Gators are among the last in the SEC in field goal percentage, as well as rebounding — Something Tennessee hopes to take advantage of coming off of a solid performance from sophomore center Kasiyahna Kushkituah who has a career-high 14 points and 8 rebounds against LSU. “She’s a presence inside,” Warlick said of Kushkituah. “It gives us a chance to get some easier looks. We need her to play. This game (LSU) got her back to where she was playing before she got her knee hurt. Mentally, this was a great game for her.

Pregame report

Last edited:
Just a quick note. To my knowledge, CJ does not set the LV starting line-up so his conjectures should not be taken as evidence the LV's coaching staff are "not dictating the matchups." Holly's pregame quote suggests that KK is going to start:

Florida’s interior game has not fared as well. The Gators are among the last in the SEC in field goal percentage, as well as rebounding — Something Tennessee hopes to take advantage of coming off of a solid performance from sophomore center Kasiyahna Kushkituah who has a career-high 14 points and 8 rebounds against LSU. “She’s a presence inside,” Warlick said of Kushkituah. “It gives us a chance to get some easier looks. We need her to play. This game (LSU) got her back to where she was playing before she got her knee hurt. Mentally, this was a great game for her.

Pregame report
It will be interesting to see who starts tonight. Evidently, Holly thinks it might be more important to start KK, as a reward for last game, than exposing her to a possible poor matchup. That's a factor that the coach makes a judgment on that us fans are not usually aware of.

Reactions: madtownvol
Just a quick note. To my knowledge, CJ does not set the LV starting line-up so his conjectures should not be taken as evidence the LV's coaching staff are "not dictating the matchups." Holly's pregame quote suggests that KK is going to start:

Pregame report

This is a terrific opportunity for Kasi, as well as for the coaching staff to build her confidence in THEM.

If I were a Lady Vol coach tonight, I'd start Kasi, asking her to play her heart out with all-out effort for three solid minutes, and then I'd take her out and let her catch her breath. I'd make that solemn promise! I'd tell her I just needed her to send a powerful message to Florida to start the game, and I didn't want her to be either consciously or unconsciously conserving energy because she's afraid she'll run out of breath or energy.

Those three minutes, giving EVERYthing, WOULD be difficult for her, but after she'd kept up her end of the bargain she'd be able to trust me, the coach, to hold up mine. I'd pull her out and rest her for at least two, maybe three, minutes. Then I'd put her back in and say, "Kasi, go as hard as you can for as long as you can, but if you can give your team at least three more strong minutes before the end of the quarter, I'll give you several minutes to catch your breath again if you need them."

This is how I'd play Kasi. She needs to be played in short, timed spurts, with timed rest periods in between. That way she doesn't have to wonder how much longer she'll have to wait before she can catch her breath again.

I personally know how that is, and it ain't fun.

Just a quick note. To my knowledge, CJ does not set the LV starting line-up so his conjectures should not be taken as evidence that the LV's coaching staff are "not dictating the matchups." Holly's pregame quote suggests that KK is going to start:

Pregame report

I hope you and CHW are right.
I like Kk and have since I saw her the first time in Atlanta in at 14 playing for FBC.

But I still see smaller forwards scoring on her at will on strong-side drives....Slow on defensive footwork and not being a natural shot-blocker makes her a target...If we insert her with a lead, there is less pressure on her to defend, as opposing teams usually turn to 3's to try to get back into a game.

But
We'll see.

And no, mtv, I do not make the lineups...

yet.

Reactions: the_great_pumpkin

Pregame report

She would have scored 16 points Oh ! i forgot she was rejected by someone 5-8 again . And you think the LSU got her back to where she was playing before she hurt her knee ? hmm How many cupcakes did we play before she hurt her knee ? plain and simple her game needs a lot of work and she needs to get into game shape and i just don`t see that happening this season.

Reactions: FabSmokyVol
Green will be gone next year. And KK will most will have to step up so all this is good for her. We ain’t going nowhere for a ‘Ship. Let the girl play and work herself into form.
And hopefully we will get Lou back.

KK
Brown / Horston (Davis at the 4 and out Horston at the 1 or 2)
Davis
Zaay
Westbrook
Possible starters?

VN Store

Back