Saving the Lady Vols

It might be nitpicking about that column but a few things were off about it... It rhetorically asks who followed Bill Walsh, as if nobody would remember... George Seifert followed Walsh with the 49ers and he won a Super Bowl in his first season and he won 2 overall. Not a great example of how hard it is to follow a legend.

Also, I don't think Fulmer will necessarily hire someone with Lady Vol ties (assuming a change is made) ... there just aren't very many quality candidates to choose from.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
"Whoever lands the job will almost certainly have Tennessee ties either as an alumnus or a former staff member. "

That certainly narrows the field. I'm not sure anyone that meets that criteria comes immediately to mind though. My guess is that the AD will try to hire the best coach that they can get.

Reactions: Lurker
"Whoever lands the job will almost certainly have Tennessee ties either as an alumnus or a former staff member. "

That certainly narrows the field. I'm not sure anyone come immediately to mind though.
I doubt that is true... The "field" would pretty much just be Nikki Caldwell Fargas, Kellie Jolly Harper, Nikki McCray Pinson or Mickie DeMoss. They will have better options than that.

I doubt that is true... The "field" would pretty much just be Nikki Caldwell Fargas, Kellie Jolly Harper, Nikki McCray Pinson or Mickie DeMoss. They will have better options than that.

Tasha Butts, Bridgette Gordon, Jody Adams, probably others with Tennessee ties...Matthew Mitchell, Carolyn Peck😀. Wonder if Mickie would consider a short term assignment while working with a coach in training or just while a very thorough search is done. Or Holly may make it to next year, the Freshmen and Sophomores grow up, and we get that miraculous post player that can do it as a freshman. Who knows. I’m just glad I’m not Phil. He’s going to be earning his money no matter what.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
To keep it in the Tennessee coaching tree could be a huge mistake. You go out and get the best you can get period -you don’t limit the scope of qualified candidates. Stop the keep it in the family nonsense.

I think they make a huge mistake limiting it to the Tennessee coaching tree. I could live with it though as long as they called up either Geno or Muffet in the summer and said give me as much time as you can and teach me your offense.

For the life of me I can't understand why anyone at UT, either the head coach or assistants, has not taken a summer and mastered the motion offense. Dribble drive, throw up a shot, and get the rebound has been dead for almost 20 years.

Reactions: jonson and Peas29
I think they make a huge mistake limiting it to the Tennessee coaching tree. I could live with it though as long as they called up either Geno or Muffet in the summer and said give me as much time as you can and teach me your offense.

For the life of me I can't understand why anyone at UT, either the head coach or assistants, has not taken a summer and mastered the motion offense. Dribble drive, throw up a shot, and get the rebound has been dead for almost 20 years.

Exactly what I have said...The women's game has grown, the player's skillset has grown.
But the use of the higher skilled players "skills", hasn't.

Reactions: feathersax
Tasha Butts, Bridgette Gordon, Jody Adams, probably others with Tennessee ties...Matthew Mitchell, Carolyn Peck😀. Wonder if Mickie would consider a short term assignment while working with a coach in training or just while a very thorough search is done. Or Holly may make it to next year, the Freshmen and Sophomores grow up, and we get that miraculous post player that can do it as a freshman. Who knows. I’m just glad I’m not Phil. He’s going to be earning his money no matter what.
She sucked at Kentucky so I don’t see her doing much better with UT...

Reactions: OldNSlow
For the life of me I can't understand why anyone at UT, either the head coach or assistants, has not taken a summer and mastered the motion offense. Dribble drive, throw up a shot, and get the rebound has been dead for almost 20 years.[/QUOTE

This. Said it many times, I remain completely mystified by it. It's not like the problem, outdated offense, is exactly a state secret. In fact, Pat Summitt herself identified it and was humble enough in her greatness, and fierce enough in her desire to stay competitive, to publicly seek out help for it.

Then she got sick with memory disorder and ironically everyone connected to the LV program seemed to forget what the problem was. Holly's answer to every inquiry about the painful and growing offensive ineptitude is they should tighten down on defense and get out on transition more. In other words, avoid playing halfcourt offense whenever possible.

Apparently she is just too steeped in the old timey put back and pts off turnover offense to ever change. That does not explain, however, why any of the other parade of assistants have not been able to insist on an update, especially as the program crumbles before their eyes. I just can't believe a coach in as a precarious a position as HW would not be open to any suggestions at this point, but apparently, unfortunately for all involved, she is not.

Hopefully, but sadly, as a result of her stubborness. this time next year HW can be home rewatching tapes of 80s-90s Corn Fed Chick LV offense and reliving the "glory days".

Reactions: WVU05UT09
It might be nitpicking about that column but a few things were off about it... It rhetorically asks who followed Bill Walsh, as if nobody would remember... George Seifert followed Walsh with the 49ers and he won a Super Bowl in his first season and he won 2 overall. Not a great example of how hard it is to follow a legend.

Also, I don't think Fulmer will necessarily hire someone with Lady Vol ties (assuming a change is made) ... there just aren't very many quality candidates to choose from.
We won’t know til the job is open who is interested. We could be surprised by who would love to coach here.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
The article is wrong on so many fronts...…...…Holly was NOT pre-ordained on nothing. The job fell into her lap when at the time the AD and UT Admin had bigger problems to worry about. It was easy for her get it. After all it is JUST women's basketball.
Where the article is spot on, IT IS TIME!!

Reactions: vol24/7/365
Here's another "interesting" writeup.

Critics: Back Up Off Coach Holly Warlick, Now.

Let me see if I can summarize it...

(In best identity-politics living, social justice warrior whining voice) - "Waaaaaaaaaaah, identity, victimizing women, back off, not fair, so mean to women, patriarchy and such as, you can't criticize women because men men men Marcia Marcia Marcia."

Yup, that about covers it.

Lady Vols have finally become a non factor, Sad, very Sad indeed
Time for a change in coaching, but must be well thought out

IT's not finally, they've been a non factor for several years now. What has happened is, IT'S FINALLY PLAIN TO THE HOLLY FAITHFUL THAT SHE ISN'T HC MATERIAL.

My Bad, Yes you are indeed correct, The Lady Vols are now only a distant memory

Well anyone who wants to back off of what has been a terrible coaching job getting worse year after year now needs to know where we stand. Holly has just tied a record that dates back to 1970 when one of the first Lady Vol teams went 0 and 6. There has not been another losing streak in Lady Vol history that matched that one and the present one. For the first time in history we are in danger of not making the NCAA Tourney. The Lady Vols have never missed the NCAA tourney since it was originated. If we don't make it this season will be the first time ever another first for Holly Warlick.
What we have to do to prevent that seems like something that is going to be very difficult for this team to accomplish.
I think we need 8 wins and definitely seven of the last 10 games. If we don't do that then winning the SEC tournament would be the only option and that seems really impossible for this team. So next LSU at home followed by Florida both have to be must wins. A loss in either of these games will just about squash the NCAA tourney hopes because home losses are far more damaging than road losses especially to low rated teams. We already have our share of those can't afford anymore.

How we could still make it:

LSU win
Florida win
at Vanderbilt win
at Mississippi State loss
Auburn win
at Missouri win
at Texas A&M win
vs South Carolina win
vs Vandy win
at Ole Miss win

That would be a 9 and 1 finish and definitely make the tourney. Lose one other game 8 and 2 probably in the tourney. Lose three more 7 and 3 borderline at best. Anything other that 7 and 3 would be no chance other than SEC tourney Championship or at least make the final. No doubt we'll be a low seed playing on the road somewhere. Regardless Holly now has all the negative records except this one not making the tourney will give her all of them.

Reactions: Volle and lvocd

VN Store

Back