'16 TX QB Nick Starkel

You don't know this. IF this guy came here and IF JG were to remain the starter, he could still go down to injuries in game 1. I guess if you think Shrout is ready then fine it is a waste. But pretty sure 9/10 coaches would take Starkel over Shrout.
So you want to blow a scholarship on a low 3-star out of high school QB... while they're already extremely tight... for the off-chance that our starter goes down game one, none of our backups are talented, and you're assuming this kid is even good to begin with (which is not proven at all... he's played 3 games and averaged 126 yds/g)...

No thanks... I'll take my chances with Maurer and Shrout

at some point we are going to have to play an inexperienced Shrout or Maurer. next year is still a rebuild year, no real expectations. get their lumps in now so we are ready for a better 2020 season.

can't be like Auburn and constantly living on the transfer QB train.
Yep

Reactions: SmokeyDaBear
Not saying I want this kid to transfer to UT, don't know anything about him. But I always find comments on QB transfers funny, people are so emotional about QB's. Don't think I've ever seen someone post "we don't need anymore DL" or "We're all set with LB's and WR's, don't need anymore!". But with QB's people get emotional and for some reason don't want competition for their favorite.
You're right, QB's are like cars, people are always thinking of trading up even though the car they have is fine.
right1.gif

I wouldn't mind a QB known to have wheels that could get outside the pocket if necessary and make things happen but most of the QB's Chaney has coached are pure pocket type. One reason Fields just left UGA. A lot of top OC's are set in their ways or prefer pocket type passer. Then forced to rely on decent OL. I'd use the scholly on a lineman.

My disdain has nothing to do with competition or him being a QB.

My disdain spurns from blowing a scholarship on a non-elite player that isn't likely to start in the one year we have them. I, personally, don't want to blow the scholarship on any 1-year grad transfer, ever, unless that player already has proven elite production at their respective position.
I think he has two seasons left. Other than that I agree with you.

You don't know this. IF this guy came here and IF JG were to remain the starter, he could still go down to injuries in game 1. I guess if you think Shrout is ready then fine it is a waste. But pretty sure 9/10 coaches would take Starkel over Shrout.
At least you’re safe knowing NO ONE is going to disprove that theory by polling all those coaches. What a ******* waste of time! 😖

Looking at JG's and Starkel's stats...pretty similiar Starkel has a 149.9 Passer Rating. JG has 136.6, with a much worse OL to work with.

1548265638172.png1548265646507.png

No. Taking a useless grad transfer in lieu of taking a possible future contributor is crazy. Would any of you trade Crouch, Wright, Russell, etc, to have a one year QB, who most likely will sit on the bench, taking reps away from Shrout, Maurer.

And needlessly burn a redshirt. We needed a few new threads.

If its between needlessly burning a redshirt and needlessly burning a scholarship then I'm choosing the redshirt.

We need a roster overhaul - not 1 and done guys who only provide depth at position where only one person can see the field at a time.

Reactions: Sleegro
If its between needlessly burning a redshirt and needlessly burning a scholarship then I'm choosing the redshirt.

We need a roster overhaul - not 1 and done guys who only provide depth at position where only one person can see the field at a time.
We already had the Chryst scholarship accounted for. Not seeing the upside of using up a season of Shrout’s eligibility in the first year of a rebuild. No one hates the blueshirting thing more than me, but it was a necessary evil in Pruitt’s first season. Just hoping to wean ourselves off of credit card recruiting as each season passes.

VN Store

Back