Which Women's Coaches Would Jump

Um, remember that prospective football coach who may or may not have sent emails saying he may or may not have properly reported something he may or not have known about? They literally marched in the streets with torches against him.

No may or may not to what Tyler did. Not even being Pat's son could erase that. Hope the best for him but NO.

Has she actually said that or is there any record that she's turned down a big-time offer?

Good question. Shea Ralph and to a greater extent Chris Dailey have received multiple HC offers, but not surprisingly they have not kissed and told; that is bad form to say the least. I do recall way back in the early 2000s - like 2002 - she said she looked at opportunities every year, but had not found any to draw her. Ask either one about leaving and they deflect it with pointing out they have two of the best jobs in coaching today.

There is this:

PS. Dailey has said she wanted the Rutger's head coach slot that Stringer winded up with.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1reVOLver
If the powers that be at Tenn were smart they would hire an somewhat under the radar but successful head coach like Utah's Lynne Roberts. She was very successful at Pacific where she took a lower level mid major to winning league championships in short order. She has also had a lot of success with little enough talent at Utah and elevated that program. She has always done more with less no matter where she was coaching. Trying to get ensonced coaches at major programs to bolt to Tenn would be far more difficult. I am sure there are also many other coaches in WCBB to fit that criteria.

Limiting one self to female or former Vols. is also a mistake. Just because some one was a good basket ball player will not make them a good coach. I would also not hire someone who has at least shown some head coaching success at more than one school. Assistants do not always make good head coaches. Holly is a perfect example and there are many more like her.

That’s like saying Alabama has nothing on Vandy except tradition. Silly.
Alabama has facilities...pays the coaches better...has a larger fan base in the seats...It's the big picture and I repeat...We have a larger fan base in the seats...have won the title (regular season and tournament) several years in a row (lately, not years ago). Staley gets 1.5 million and Tennessee is paying way less now. This would be, at best a lateral move for Staley and with the support she has at South Carolina and the class coming in (that SHE picked, not Warwick) you could argue it would be a step down for Staley....If you are going to make an argument that Staley would come to Tennessee then you have to show better than.."It's Tennessee" which it is...but....

mb

For years the famed Summitt coaching tree was the envy of all WCBB. We had head coaches all over the country at UCLA, LSU, NC State, Arizona, Ky, Missouri State, Ga State, Wright State, Old Dominion, Nevada, Lipscomb, Miss State, UNC, Purdue, and a number of others. These include former players and assistants.
Used to believer Kellie Jollie Harper or Nikki Caldwell Fargas would be the successors. Caldwell particularly had great success at UCLA prior to taking the job at LSU when Warlick took over. I've wondered if Nikki's recruiting suffered from a suspicion she would bolt for UT.
Kellie got a raw deal at NC State following a very popular coach after doing great at tiny WNC. She has been solid at Missouri State.
But neither of these have had the success that would give them a shot at UT - although I wonder what they might have done with the recruits we've had in the past 7 years. At present, the extensive "family" has no particular standouts.

Looking at current successful head coaches:
Perhaps we should look to Oregon where Kelly Graves Oregon and Scott Rueck Oregon State have had success - we did well recruiting in Oregon. But Rueck is an O State alumnus and Graves is older - and both are male where I would prefer a female.
Muffet McGraw - NOT A CHANCE same with Baylor or Uconn or Stanford NONE OF THE FOUR ARE POSSIBILITIES

Staley would not come to UT -
Vic Schafer at Miss State is a Texas A&M graduate - perhaps he would make the move.
Christy Curry at Alabama has been everywhere and is not that successful except against our own FOLLY
I'm not a fan of the KY coach and in the SEC it's these four plus Caldwell-Fargas. or nothing.
Syracuse, Gonzaga, Mich State, Marquette?
Texas, Louisville,?
The NC State Coach looks like a good fit
Personally, I can't stand Brenda Freese at Maryland

So when it comes to currently successful head coaches, I don't see any obvious choices to break into the UCONN Baylor Stanford Notre Dame USC success barrier aside from perhaps Miss State.

I would personally love to see us roll the dice with Kara Lawson and give her 5 years to make it work. A staff with Caldwell Fargas, Lawson, Kellie Harper, and the great Tamika Catchings is a pipe dream that would be awesome.
Lawson is extremely intelligent and personable. I think she could recruit like crazy and put together a staff of former pros who could do something special as a staff.

I doubt some of the big name coaches in the game would come to Knoxville, especially since they spent a great deal of time setting up their programs to be run the way they'd like.

At Tennessee they would pretty much have to set things up again, BUT I could see maybe one or two coming on a slim chance. And I think that only because their respect for Pat might be a factor in influencing them to come and restore her program for all she did for the game. It would have to be someone with a personal connection to her.

Reactions: WVU05UT09
I doubt some of the big name coaches in the game would come to Knoxville, especially since they spent a great deal of time setting up their programs to be run the way they'd like.

At Tennessee they would pretty much have to set things up again, BUT I could see maybe one or two coming on a slim chance. And I think that only because their respect for Pat might be a factor in influencing them to come and restore her program for all she did for the game. It would have to be someone with a personal connection to her.

Aurabass....I do like your post!

This all hinges on $MONEY$. For those of you thinking you know what prospective coaches at major programs would do, you don’t. The right dollar amount combined with national relevance (we still have it), amazing facilities, a great fan base and one of the biggest budgets in women’s basketball would make almost any coach consider. I’m with whoever said that we could get anyone but Geno. That’s pretty much true based upon how much they are willing to spend. I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised once Holly is gone and the coaching candidates are revealed. ;)

Dawn looks to be in support of Holly, not take her job!

HA! Holly makes Dawn’s job easier. Lol. I would want her to stay, too, if I were Dawn the way her ass is losing! It makes South Carolina look better to recruits and ensures that Tennessee is one less program she has to worry about battling for the SEC crown. It was the same reason Calipari wanted Tubby Smith to stay at Memphis...he knew he would have to battle Penny Hardaway for top recruits, especially the #1 recruit in the country which he lost. Lol.

Game recognizes game.

HA! Holly makes Dawn’s job easier. Lol. I would want her to stay, too, if I were Dawn the way her ass is losing! It makes South Carolina look better to recruits and ensures that Tennessee is one less program she has to worry about battling for the SEC crown. It was the same reason Calipari wanted Tubby Smith to stay at Memphis...he knew he would have to battle Penny Hardaway for top recruits, especially the #1 recruit in the country which he lost. Lol.

Game recognizes game.

Despite them being rivals on the court, Dawn and Holly are genuine friends who support one another regardless. Not sure what Dawn would get out of wanting her friend to keep her job. SC can beat UT when Pat was still coaching so your post is very bleak. I think she should be much more worried about Schaefer at this point. I took the tweet as her defending someone she cares about on a personal level not just a coach who she can beat every time they play.

As far as recruits go both are attractive destinations! You can’t compare WBB recruiting to the men’s when money and bribery is used far more on that side.

Reactions: Will83
Not so sure any top tier coach would want to put up with some of our fans. But, I can't think of any successful Top 25 coach who frequently appears in the top 15-top 10 who might want it. I don't know.

My question to you is, What is your level of expectation for programs at UT?

Yep, always the fans' fault. It never amazes me when something goes wrong with a program at UT and someone wants to blame the fans who have been supporting these programs with time and money. Mediocrity is the accepted standard at UT in some people's eyes. There is not another program in the country where the fans get such a poor return on their investment of time, money, or loyalty.

I have not seen a fan coach a game, develop players, call plays, or call time outs. And they sure as heck are not getting paid large sums of money to do so.

Why not break the mold, with the cashay the coach of this program brings. How about a top men's basketball coach? That would be innovative and hopefully, bring women's basketball to a new level.

Despite them being rivals on the court, Dawn and Holly are genuine friends who support one another regardless. Not sure what Dawn would get out of wanting her friend to keep her job. SC can beat UT when Pat was still coaching so your post is very bleak. I think she should be much more worried about Schaefer at this point. I took the tweet as her defending someone she cares about on a personal level not just a coach who she can beat every time they play.

As far as recruits go both are attractive destinations! You can’t compare WBB recruiting to the men’s when money and bribery is used far more on that side.
Come on Spur...you're giving your team too much credit and discrediting Pat, which SC did beat in Pat's last year as HC...before that, she was spanking SC's tail up & down the floor...As far as Dawn goes [whom I've always loved as a coach & player] I think she would more than strongly consider coaching here...She can win & recruit anywhere, but to do it behind the Lady Vol name is still something that is enormously special...I'm not just saying this just because I bleed orange 🍊...Go LVFL

Reactions: mcannon1
Staley clearly loves the UT program and is friends with Holly. I actually think she genuinely wants UT and Holly to do well. Remember Staley was a thorn in our side at UVA. They beat us in the E8 the year we hosted the FF but we beat them in the NC game the following year. I think Staley and Pat had a lot of mutual respect for each other, and Staley is probably the most vocal supporter of the UT program in recent years. She's outwardly rooted for us to make the FF in Holly's tenure.

WTBS, UT being crap certainly makes Dawn's job a lot easier.

Why not break the mold, with the cashay the coach of this program brings. How about a top men's basketball coach? That would be innovative and hopefully, bring women's basketball to a new level.
Good luck with getting a top men's coach. Never happen.

Reactions: reno tony

Hahahaha, you must be joking! I will have to go back and look up Stanley's record against Pat who was going into signs and symptoms of Alzheimer's! Heck even Staley for now has only a 4-4 record against our terrible coach. If Staley left South Caclackey goes back to irrelevancy!

Just throwing this out there since few if any have mentioned a credible replacement so don't bash me too badly. Maybe the answer is sitting right on coach Rick Barnes bench. Offer it to Michael Schwartz. He seems to be given alot of credit for the developement of the players on the team. I don't know what his salary is but I would think it's comparable to what Holly is making, so they could get him without breaking the bank. Also, with his close ties to coach Barnes, maybe he could get some more assistance from CRB's staff than has already been given this year. Just a new name for people to shoot down. Let it rip!

VN Store

Back