Which Women's Coaches Would Jump

mb
I'm afraid they would hire within the LV family rather than trying to get the best.

For years the famed Summitt coaching tree was the envy of all WCBB. We had head coaches all over the country at UCLA, LSU, NC State, Arizona, Ky, Missouri State, Ga State, Wright State, Old Dominion, Nevada, Lipscomb, Miss State, UNC, Purdue, and a number of others. These include former players and assistants.
Used to believer Kellie Jollie Harper or Nikki Caldwell Fargas would be the successors. Caldwell particularly had great success at UCLA prior to taking the job at LSU when Warlick took over. I've wondered if Nikki's recruiting suffered from a suspicion she would bolt for UT.
Kellie got a raw deal at NC State following a very popular coach after doing great at tiny WNC. She has been solid at Missouri State.
But neither of these have had the success that would give them a shot at UT - although I wonder what they might have done with the recruits we've had in the past 7 years. At present, the extensive "family" has no particular standouts.

Looking at current successful head coaches:
Perhaps we should look to Oregon where Kelly Graves Oregon and Scott Rueck Oregon State have had success - we did well recruiting in Oregon. But Rueck is an O State alumnus and Graves is older - and both are male where I would prefer a female.
Muffet McGraw - NOT A CHANCE same with Baylor or Uconn or Stanford NONE OF THE FOUR ARE POSSIBILITIES

Staley would not come to UT -
Vic Schafer at Miss State is a Texas A&M graduate - perhaps he would make the move.
Christy Curry at Alabama has been everywhere and is not that successful except against our own FOLLY
I'm not a fan of the KY coach and in the SEC it's these four plus Caldwell-Fargas. or nothing.
Syracuse, Gonzaga, Mich State, Marquette?
Texas, Louisville,?
The NC State Coach looks like a good fit
Personally, I can't stand Brenda Freese at Maryland

So when it comes to currently successful head coaches, I don't see any obvious choices to break into the UCONN Baylor Stanford Notre Dame USC success barrier aside from perhaps Miss State.

I would personally love to see us roll the dice with Kara Lawson and give her 5 years to make it work. A staff with Caldwell Fargas, Lawson, Kellie Harper, and the great Tamika Catchings is a pipe dream that would be awesome.
Lawson is extremely intelligent and personable. I think she could recruit like crazy and put together a staff of former pros who could do something special as a staff.

Last edited:
While I doubt he'll receive serious consideration when the time comes, Union University's Mark Campbell is one of the most-successful college basketball coaches around. Not a splashy name and Div II, yes, but a terrific coach nonetheless.

Mark-Campbell-600-wins.jpg

When the final buzzer sounded, the Union (TN) Bulldogs defeated Auburn-Montgomery 43-40 to move to 14-1 on the season. For head coach Mark Campbell, that 14th win was extra special. Any way you cut it, Campbell is now the fastest coach in NCAA women’s basketball to 600 wins. It's pretty unfathomable, reaching 600 wins in just 691 games. He's bested Illinois head coach Nancy Fahey in games by 15 and did it in fewer years than UConn's legendary Geno Auriemma, who needed 22 years to reach the milestone.

...How does he stack up against the men’s side? He's believed to be the fastest there as well. Campbell reached 600 more rapidly than any DI coach for certain, and the names he left behind make for some pretty impressive company.
Union (TN)'s Mark Campbell reaches 600 wins faster than any other NCAA women's basketball coach | NCAA.com

Mark Campbell was named the women's basketball head coach for Union University in 1999. Campbell is currently in his 20th season as the head coach of the Lady Bulldogs compiling an overall record of 586-90. In his 19 seasons, he has led his Union teams to a third place or higher finish in national tournaments 12 times, including 10 straight from 2005-14. He has won five national titles of the six in women's basketball history at Union. Campbell was tops in the NAIA in 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, and then won the 2014 NCCAA National Title.
Union University Athletics - Mark Campbell - Staff Directory - Union University

Any of them. The Lady Vols could get anybody except for Geno.

Sorry, he could be the best coach ever in any sport, pro or otherwise, and I would not want him. No particular reason, but there are people I just can't tolerate. He happens to be one of them. He makes my as- crave a dip of snuff.... Don't get me wrong, I am more than sure there are people that I effect the same way. My be cutting my nose off to spite my face, cause he probable is or nearly is the best coach in the last 50 years ( except Bellichick or Summit) just can't stand to listen to or watch him.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Proven game coach, not too old, great developer, great recruiter, charismatic and obvious leader, no ethics issues either.

We can match pay with any team for the right coach.

I would love this! His wife was always so sweet to my mom.

He is a big time coach that is there for the picking... also, if you ever get time, find video of him coaching. He’s very charismatic and will get in players faces when necessary but also has a great sense of humor and can be witty and sarcastic when he wants. We need some attitude injected back into the program. His players always believe they can win and exude confidence. That starts from the top down.

Reactions: cutiepie5
It's time for the deep-pocketed boosters to pony up the dough before they lose interest in the women't program too.

Before? We will be in recovery and rehab for a while...If we get the right replacement and pay the price to do so....There is star power on the court but No intensity, no direction, and no coach.
A new coach will have to rely on tradition, if not known, of which is fading away except in history books.

Reactions: VOLPAT
He is a big time coach that is there for the picking... also, if you ever get time, find video of him coaching. He’s very charismatic and will get in players faces when necessary but also has a great sense of humor and can be witty and sarcastic when he wants. We need some attitude injected back into the program. His players always believe they can win and exude confidence. That starts from the top down.
Went to watch the Lady Mocs. They went to our church when he was at UTC and he would bring the team once a season or so. I hated they left but I was happy for them too.

Reactions: TN1111
While I doubt he'll receive serious consideration when the time comes, Union University's Mark Campbell is one of the most-successful college basketball coaches around. Not a splashy name and Div II, yes, but a terrific coach nonetheless.

Mark-Campbell-600-wins.jpg

When the final buzzer sounded, the Union (TN) Bulldogs defeated Auburn-Montgomery 43-40 to move to 14-1 on the season. For head coach Mark Campbell, that 14th win was extra special. Any way you cut it, Campbell is now the fastest coach in NCAA women’s basketball to 600 wins. It's pretty unfathomable, reaching 600 wins in just 691 games. He's bested Illinois head coach Nancy Fahey in games by 15 and did it in fewer years than UConn's legendary Geno Auriemma, who needed 22 years to reach the milestone.

...How does he stack up against the men’s side? He's believed to be the fastest there as well. Campbell reached 600 more rapidly than any DI coach for certain, and the names he left behind make for some pretty impressive company.
Union (TN)'s Mark Campbell reaches 600 wins faster than any other NCAA women's basketball coach | NCAA.com

Mark Campbell was named the women's basketball head coach for Union University in 1999. Campbell is currently in his 20th season as the head coach of the Lady Bulldogs compiling an overall record of 586-90. In his 19 seasons, he has led his Union teams to a third place or higher finish in national tournaments 12 times, including 10 straight from 2005-14. He has won five national titles of the six in women's basketball history at Union. Campbell was tops in the NAIA in 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, and then won the 2014 NCCAA National Title.
Union University Athletics - Mark Campbell - Staff Directory - Union University

This kind of ability wins at EVERY level. Make it so.

Reactions: mcannon1
McCowan is a senior; his daughter has graduated; good time to talk to Schaffer if it comes to that.

He's reaping the rewards of his success on the court, and is now getting 5 star recruits to come to MSST. He loses McCowan this year, but has a 6'5 freshman with tons of upside that he can mold into Teaira's heir apparent, and has Rickea Jackson (plus some more top talent) coming in next year to build his team around. MSST will be very good for the next 3-4 years, and I can't see him jumping ship when they have pieces for another SEC title and deep NCAAT run. But as has been said, it can't hurt to ask

I'm not at all against looking at a handful of sharp folks with potential for greatness (though I understand arguments against them). Kara Lawson being foremost on that list.

What about Nicki Collen? She had a great run with the Atlanta Dream this past season and has several years D1 assistant coaching experience.

Reactions: mcannon1
Sorry, he could be the best coach ever in any sport, pro or otherwise, and I would not want him. No particular reason, but there are people I just can't tolerate. He happens to be one of them. He makes my as- crave a dip of snuff.... Don't get me wrong, I am more than sure there are people that I effect the same way. My be cutting my nose off to spite my face, cause he probable is or nearly is the best coach in the last 50 years ( except Bellichick or Summit) just can't stand to listen to or watch him.

Agreed. We don’t want him and Pat would come back and slap us if we did. So, I believe we could get anybody we want. We have the money and tradition to do that.

The two UConn assistants...

Chris Dailey is happy where she is, but TN is HER CHANCE to make HER name. I think Chris Dailey stays with Geno until a big fish comes around like TENNESSEE.

Chris Dailey first
Jeff Walz second
Shea Ralph third

Many of the other big names won’t make the move. Vic might, but I’d want someone younger anyway.

Chris Dailey is in the Hall of Fame. Will retire with Auriemma. Jeff, maybe for a lot of coin, but he has built something pretty special there.. Ralph is thought by many to be UConn's coach in waiting. I'd think again.

Chris Dailey is in the Hall of Fame. Will retire with Auriemma. Jeff, maybe for a lot of coin, but he has built something pretty special there.. Ralph is thought by many to be UConn's coach in waiting. I'd think again.

Has she actually said that or is there any record that she's turned down a big-time offer?

Coaches I like even though I know were still a long way from a change.

Bart Books Belmont head coach always puts a terrific team on the floor fundamentally who are very limited talent wise.
Wes Moore has taken a mediocre program to National attention. A tough place to recruit he does it with players not highly thought of for the most part. He may have one or two rated players on the team.
Becky Hammon is certainly a talented coach who probably has her sites set on something higher than women's college basketball.
Michael Schwartz is high energy would instill in the girls fundamentals and will to win. He has done a terrific job since joining Rick Barnes staff would bring that system and player development to the women's team.
Carolyn Kieger Marquette head coach really get the maximum out of the players she gets in that program.
Lisa Fortier current Gonzaga basketball coach gets excellent results year after year.
Dawn Plitzuweit South Dakota head coach 14 and 0 in conference record last season. Currently 16 and 3 with a 13 point win over Missouri on their home floor.

I'll add Kara Lawson although she is not coming makes way to much money with ESPN don't think she would ever want to be bogged down as a women's basketball coach.

This is just several of the excellent coaches that could JMO get this program back up to a high level nationally and compete for SEC titles every season.

Unless the stars align correctly, the next LV coach is not going to be the second coming of Pat. I just hope to God it is a Rick Barnes level improvement.

Reactions: FabSmokyVol

VN Store

Back